Pics from our 2007 Trip - Many areas in Colorado

skitime

Observer
Checking out trials off in the distance.

Picture706.jpg

The trail to the top.

Picture703.jpg

Picture699.jpg

Picture691.jpg

Picture694.jpg

LUISJG

Explorer
very nice ,,,thanks for sharing..
do you have a map that you can post , marking the trails you followed ?

thanks

skitime

Observer
Maps of the areas

very nice ,,,thanks for sharing..
do you have a map that you can post , marking the trails you followed ?

thanks

Here is a link to an excellent map with additional links and details of the trails in the Silverton area. You will recognize may of their photographs from my photographs. I have done all of the trails except Poughkeepsie Gulch in a 4x4 but I have even done that trail on a motorcycle. Looking at this map, Using the link below, I think I have pictures from the following trails, 2,3,7,8,9,13,14,17,18,19, and 21. If you find my other thread of our pictures from our 2008 Trip, I posted pictures from most the other trails on this map.

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

Here is a link for Mount Princeton

http://www.geocities.com/truedino/princeton.htm

We do not like to go on 4x4 trails without any prior knowledge unless we are wheeling with local people. What we have done is purchase excellent books on the 4x4 trails of Colorado and Utah. We have several books now but here is the one we use the most.

http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6

This book covers all the trails we have done for the most part in Colorado. It will also cover the areas around Tin Cup, and Cripple Creek. We also make a point to stop at the forest service offices to find out if there are any new developments such as washouts or dangers in the area. They always have great advice and suggestions as well as additional maps of the area. Some trails have one way sections so you need to plan your loop trail rides accordingly.

Last edited:

Lichen

Explorer
Wow! I think that I know where I may be vacationing this year. I've only been to Silverton in the dead of winter and spent most of my time trying not to freeze to death.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
skitime, beautiful photos. I enjoyed every one of them immensely. Thank You, i have not seen the sights out there for a decade now.

You mention 5 hours to get out of Pa, you sound pretty local to me here outside NE Philadelphia.

skitime

Observer
skitime, beautiful photos. I enjoyed every one of them immensely. Thank You, i have not seen the sights out there for a decade now.

You mention 5 hours to get out of Pa, you sound pretty local to me here outside NE Philadelphia.

Yep, I am local to you, I am just north of Lancaster, PA. Boy, you guys are reading this stuff very carefully!

Last edited:

skitime

Observer
More pics

Here are some more.

Picture1039.jpg

Here is a ptarmigan I found. At first I could not understand why it did not fly away. Then I saw the chicks, they were impossible to see if they stopped moving. Even now I only see one but I know there were about 6.

Picture1005.jpg

Picture1009.jpg

We found a safe snowy slope to play on. It took the kids big and small about an hour to have enough of the fun. It sure is fun in the middle of July.

Picture1029.jpg

Picture1037.jpg

The area above tree line are often leased to sheep herders who bring in their sheep to graze. The sheepherder live in tents or shepard's wagons and move with the sheep as needed. We often see the flocks and the guard dogs but rarely the sheepherders.

Picture1040.jpg

Picture1042.jpg

Picture1062.jpg

Here you can see the sheepdog that guards the sheep day and night. They are amazing to watch. The dog seen here was very upset at our vehicles disturbing the sheep.

Picture1067.jpg

This is a stamping mill that is about the most intact mill you can find. It definitely is a must see if you would like to understand what happened after they get to gold and silver ore out of the mountains.

Picture1082-p.jpg

Last edited:

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
curious, how did the superduty do while going up there

thinking about getting a full size myself, more so a new tundra

skitime

Observer
Where is that mill?

That is the Sound Democrat Mill in Placer Gulch. See trail # 13 on the map link I posted earlier. The preferred route is north to south because the last 1/2 mile is very steep so you should do it downhill especially if it has rained recently.

http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/pgulch.html

If you forgive me I will post some pics I took in 2006. I go past the building every year but don't always go inside.

NP1010041.jpg

NP1010068.jpg

NP1010067.jpg

NP1010043.jpg

NP1010044.jpg

NP1010046.jpg

NP1010047.jpg

NP1010048.jpg

NP1010049.jpg

NP1010050.jpg

skitime

Observer
More of the Mill

NP1010051.jpg

NP1010053.jpg

NP1010054.jpg

NP1010059.jpg

NP1010057.jpg

This picture was taken near the top of the pass. This little marmout seemed to be watching over his domain far below which included the mill.

Picture1085.jpg

skitime

Observer
curious, how did the superduty do while going up there

thinking about getting a full size myself, more so a new tundra

It did amazingly well although it was not stock. It first hauled a large camping trailer out to Silverton from Illinois. It has both a suspension lift and a body lift if I remember correctly and of course larger wheels and tires. I think only limited slip differential in the rear but I am not 100% sure if it even had that. In this first picture he was actually stuck and had to take a couple of trys because one front and one rear wheel was getting up in the air and killing his momentum. It had a hard time on hairpin mountain roads but I was amazed how well he managed. I would never suggest such a large vehicle for trail riding but he went on most trail rides. We had one scary situation on Imogene trail where there was a washout along a cliff. He got the kids and wife out and his dad directed him though it. His truck was tight against the wall and the cliff side tire was extremely close to sliding off the cliff. It was tense for a while. Because of my camera angle, my pictures do not do justice to how close this was to a disaster. In the third pictures you can see his rear tire within 4-5 inches of sliding off. That tan rock was the edge. I was the lead vehicle and I was worried even driving a Geo Tracker across this washout so when I got past the washout and immediately stopped the group because of the danger. Personally I would of never tried the maneuver in that truck. This was on a rainy day and on this trail there could of been a worse washout ahead and then he would of had to back down the same trail because this stretch of trail has no where he could turn around with his length of vehicle.

Picture980-p-1.jpg

Picture1270-p.jpg

Picture1271-P.jpg

Picture1273-p-1.jpg

This was my rig stopped ahead to give you an idea of the cliff involved.

Picture1276.jpg

Picture1277.jpg

There are some advantages to the his rig as seen here.

Picture1337-p.jpg

Picture1331.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner