Please Help: PARASITIC BATTERY DRAIN - Ideas?

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
I have had a parasitic drain on the Montero for a while now. I've been putting off messing with it because of the frustration that always goes along with a task like this. So, today I decided to jump in and do the old hook up the multi-meter between the negative battery terminal and cable. I have a 10 amp draw somewhere.

Then I did the next step of pulling every fuse individually and checking the meter. None of them changed the draw. I even have two leads running from accessories straight to the positive terminal. They have inline fuses. Checked those too.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Joe917

Explorer
10amp is not parasitic its carnivorous! First place to start is anything not stock. If you have pulled all the factory fuses with no joy there must be a circuit you have not found, aftermarket stereo, alarm, heater etc.

nckwltn

Explorer
Did you pull all of the fuses at the same time, then put each back in one at a time? If you pulled each fuse, and then replaced it before pulling the next, perhaps something is tied to two fuses incorrectly, so puling one fuse only keeps the power running on the 2nd.

I would pull every fuse at once, and see if you're still getting the draw... hopefully not, but sounds like you might be. If you're not, put each fuse back in, test, and then pull it back out.... that way you're only testing one fuse at a time.

10 amps does seem like a lot of power.... perhaps feel some of the power cables to see if they seem warm, that might be a cheater way to get an idea of where the power might be going.

I'm not sure if it works for DC, but I have a clamp on multimeter for AC that you clamp around any AC line, and it tells you the amps the line is pulling... something like that might work for AC as well.

finally, I'm thinking that if you have all of the fuses pulled, and it is still drawing a current, I think you have something grounding out.... but because you're car isn't on fire and the battery hasn't blown up.... it is going to be pretty difficult to track down.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you already disconnected the alternator, the starter motor would be next. Might want to disconnect all the heavy duty cables attached to the battery with the exception of the primary + and -

Justice R

Adventurer
Agreed try the starter. Disconnect the solenoid first at the push on connector since that is the easiest, then try the big positive cable. Weird things can happen in the solenoid if the contact become partially welded or build up carbon deposits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad