pop top fj idea

i was looking online today, and saw an ursa minor converted honda element and it got me thinking. ii would LOVE to own one, except they arn't really 4 wheel drive, so not much use to me how i'd want it, but wouldn't it be awesome if someone made a similar set up for the fj? realistically, the element and fj arnt TOO far off in body concept (4 door, with pillarless suicide mounting rear doors in a wagon style), so it shouldnt be too hard to engineer one in a similar setup. any thoughts?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
If I remember correctly access to the pop top on the Element is through the factory sun roof. Thus leaving the vehicles roof structure alone.

A pop top FJ would be a very cool vehicle. Maybe a little short for a sleeping space?

If I remember correctly access to the pop top on the Element is through the factory sun roof. Thus leaving the vehicles roof structure alone.

A pop top FJ would be a very cool vehicle. Maybe a little short for a sleeping space?

ursa minor says on thier website they are now doing it through any configuration and year by cutting a hole in the back. the elements sleep top is 7'x4', so i cant imagine an fj would be much, if any, smaller than that

Trail100

Observer
There are already convertible FJs out there, with time, and money an idea like that is definitely possible.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
ursa minor says on thier website they are now doing it through any configuration and year by cutting a hole in the back. the elements sleep top is 7'x4', so i cant imagine an fj would be much, if any, smaller than that

Just spent some time on the Ursa Minor website. Good to see that they are now cutting their own access holes in the roof. Interesting that the bed is 7' long, that is comfy!

Zwoehr

The FJ would be an easier conversion since it is body on frame construction and not unitbody. Theoretically you could just chop off the roof and install whatever popup you wanted.

Trail100

Observer
Do you know of any photos out on the web of pop top FJ's? I would be interested in seeing what they have done.

Just use Yahoo or Google image search for FJ convertible, they are mostly auto show/promo pictures but it may give you some ideas on structure and what not. Like stated though, it may be your best bet to contact Ursa Minor since they already have the concept down, just on a different platform. Usually it's easier to modify or use pieces already made/functioning rather that fab it all from nothing.

Just use Yahoo or Google image search for FJ convertible, they are mostly auto show/promo pictures but it may give you some ideas on structure and what not. Like stated though, it may be your best bet to contact Ursa Minor since they already have the concept down, just on a different platform. Usually it's easier to modify or use pieces already made/functioning rather that fab it all from nothing.

i've seen a pop top cherokee using the top off of a vanagon... if i liked cherokees, i'd think of immulating that! i kinda wonder if its possible to use a vanagon top (or multiple ones grafted together). biggest issue i can see of it is the fact that the front and rear of the fj's roof are rounded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater