possible issues with OME lift

wilson

Observer
Greetings all,
In October of 2012 I installed an full OME lift on my 07 Tacoma. After a recent Death Valley punishment it began to act as if I have a blown shock. The problem is I'm not positive how to identify the problem shock as there is no obvious signs of excess bouncing at any of the corners. I was convinced by the "feel" of it that it was a bad rear shock. I then had my girlfriend drive on a bumpy dirt road as I watched from the side of the road and after that I was then convinced it was the drivers front as it appeared to be flopping around a bit.
So i contacted the vendor, that I purchased the kit from ,who is out of state, and they of course want me to ship the shock in question to them so they can make the determination as to whether that shock is covered under warranty. To move the process along as well as the fact that I am a bit of a cynical person I wanted to absolutely sure I had the correct shock before shipping stuff around so I dis-assembled the fronts and took the rear shocks off to compare their compression and rebound characteristics so perhaps you can help me identify the culprit.

Rears
Compression was the same but as you can see the rebound is totally different.

Fronts
Now this may be normal but the front where incredibly hard to compress(I edited out my grunting and groaning) and took over a minute to fully extend and while not as bad as the rears the shocks extended at different rates.

So what am I working with here people? Thanks in advance for any help

Ramjet

Explorer
The fronts, when mounted, will have the spring mounted so I don't think that's the issue there. But the rear that is slow is a little odd. I would call ARB and talk to a tech and have them look at the videos. hope this helps.

gfiero

Adventurer
I had a front fail but I had visual oil leakage to back it up, I bought a new set and was very dissatisfied with them ARB replace the new set so service was not bad. I am now replacing my rear Dakar's as they have gone flat after 86,000 miles. Suspension components sometimes fail, we do ask a lot of them.

ebg18t

Adventurer
I watched the videos yesterday. But I am unsure of the root issue. Every shock that has failed on me has had oil residue on the body. I would contact OME/ARb when they open and forward them the videos.

Derek G

Observer
I'm a big DIY person and have done most of the work on my truck. However, this is not the first story I've seen regarding suspension trouble (regardless of manufacturer) whether it be mechanical failure or incorrect installation. I don't have the time nor desire to take my daily driver apart and send in parts for "evaluation". It is for this reason that I've purchased all of the parts for my lift from a national 4wd shop and am having them install the entire suspension with installation warranty. It costs more for sure, but I'll consider that a little insurance policy if and when I have an issue either around home base or out on a trip.

Just my 2 cents.

wilson

Observer
well... I have found the issue although I am hesitant to admit what it was. So after a dozen phone calls and checking every bushing and torque spec of every bolt many many times, multiple dis-assemble and reassemblies, which I can now do in 10 minutes per front side by the way I have found the problem.
The damn spare tire had come loss and was swing around back there causing the shuddering. I feel both shame and pride at the same time for finding the issue!

lodi781

...My work of art
eeehhh...it happens sometimes. Tag that one in the " it would be funnier if I didn't do it " category and keep rolling!:)

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Glad you found your issue. Look at it this way, it was a simple fix and now you have "extensive suspension installation experience"! :D

Derek G

Observer
You want to install my OME lift for me now, lol? It takes a very brave man to announce that to the world, kudos. Now I'll know where to start if I have similar issues.

DaVikes

Adventurer
I think everyone who does their own work has had one or two of those head pounding moments. Like the time I cracked the windshield on my wife's suv while changing out the front struts. Oops. I'm sure OME is following your post closely and they are now very relieved. Appreciate your honesty, maybe it will save someone else some trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal