Possible Jeep to Disco convert...need some input from the experts!

spikemd

Explorer
Either choice, you should start to learn your how to work on your truck. Sounds like you are picking things up, so keep it up. If you don't know how to work on your truck, you can't fix it in the field You will also save thousands by learning and doing the work yourself. A disco is no harder to work on than a jeep other than the cost of parts. There is a ton of info on the web to modify and fix anything that goes wrong on either vehicle.

Drive it. If it speaks to you, then buy it. Sounds like a decent price considering the modifications. Buying a rover can be a slippery slope... I am part of the NorCal Land Rover group and it is an great group to be part of. Everyone is helpful and we put on offroad events/activities. Our trips include good trails as well as great meals and camaraderie. We have trucks from $2000 to $50000+ on the trail at the same time with drivers of differing abilities and everyone has fun. I am sure there is a similar rover group in your neck of the woods.

ADK_XJ

Observer
Drive it. If it speaks to you, then buy it. Sounds like a decent price considering the modifications. Buying a rover can be a slippery slope...

I figured I'd write back to this thread I started since I rarely see the final result of someone asking questions like this...I did end up driving the Disco and, while I enjoyed the stadium seating and could tell it was a truly advanced piece of offroad machinery, I decided to pass. I think this last guy here, spikemd, said it best in that it just didn't really speak to me like my Cherokee did, has and does.

I was also thinking I'd be jumping into a much more expansive cab/cockpit area but I was surprised how snug the Disco feels with all the dash controls and levers and at the arm rest. However, the visibility and headroom in that thing is second-to-none!

And, finally, I just couldn't bring myself to part with my faithful XJ at this point in time when it's running real solid like it is. I wouldn't rule myself out of Rover ownership down the line but it just wasn't for me this time around. Thanks for all the input, all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk