Post build ..uh.. build thread.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Killer build! Thanks for all the detailed photos! I've had a flat bed (UTE) for sometime now and have been wanting to have something like this built up since day 1.

ericvs

Looks great. Now you need to black out the front bumper

Any thoughts on blacking out that chrome short of getting a new bumper? Maybe plasti-dip? don't know if it would be durable enough for a front bumper. I suppose I could just get some bed-liner and do it that way.

Thanks!

Killer build! Thanks for all the detailed photos! I've had a flat bed (UTE) for sometime now and have been wanting to have something like this built up since day 1.
No problem. I look forward to your build thread!

bdp1978

Adventurer
Any thoughts on blacking out that chrome short of getting a new bumper? Maybe plasti-dip? don't know if it would be durable enough for a front bumper. I suppose I could just get some bed-liner and do it that way.

Thanks!

Plasti Dip is pretty strong stuff when applied heavy enough. Its also easy to touch up, just re-spray and it will fill in the voids. The other bonus is that if it doesnt last you can just peel it off. A paint Ive had good luck with on "wear" type items is the VHT Epoxy paint. I did the center caps on my Jeep with it.....just scuffed the chrome with 320 and applied about 5 coats of the VHT Epoxy. It has held up great through a lot of trails, mud etc.

Last edited:

ericvs

Ok moving slowly these days, but I have picked up a can of plasti. Was going to try and do the grill first as I can remove it and do it in the comfort of my garage, then I can work up to doing to bumper.

In other fun news, I needed something to get my short carcass into my rig. Jumping and grabbing the Oh ******t handle didn't seem like the final solution. Didn't want to drill or weld to the frame the body mounts. Ended up finding these sweet sliders/steps from WhiteKnuckleOffroad. Fully bolted and he even made me a custom length one as I didn't need mine to extend past the rear of the cab.
http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/

I ended up getting them mill finish and I coated them with bedliner after they arrived, turned out really nice. They really look great and are super burly, more than enough beef for my usage.

Custom length, they stop just in front of the rear of the cab. Perfect.
UtiscY0h.jpg

They are located back from the edge of the wheel well, just enough to clear the power wagon fender flares.

Can't even tell they are there

but, they stick out just the right amount.

Amazing! John was awesome to deal with, answered all my dumb questions on the phone and made the custom length ones for me no issues. He got them done before he said he would and they arrived packed perfectly. 10/10 would work with John again. Good stuff, highly recommended.

topher800

What bike rack are you using? I've been ruminating for a long time on how to attach bikes to my Ute camper. They either go in the back seat, or I put a 1upUSA on the front hitch.

Last edited:

ericvs

Killer, love seeing Dodges being built up like this.
Thanks! I am pretty stoked on it.

Saw your rig again the other day on your way off the Ridge. New wheels and tires looks great.
Awesome. Coming from you that makes me very happy as your builds have always looked great!

What bike rack are you using? I've been ruminating for a long time on how to attach bikes to my Ute camper. They either go in the back seat, or I put a 1upUSA on the front hitch.
I looked around forever for a bike rack for my rig. I looked at the 1Up, Yakima, Thule everything. I knew I needed at least 4 bike carry capability and something that I could use to shuttle my bikes to the top if needed. After looking around for a long time, I came to the conclusion that a vertical bike carrier rack was the best option. This lead me to the North Shore Rack. It is made in Vancouver, BC.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/index.htm

I originally had the 4 bike, but have since swapped to a 6 bike. The 4 bike was nice because it would fold in 1/2 for when you aren't using it and it would be out of the way, but the 6 bike worked better for my setup. What I like about the vertical bike racks is they don't stick off the back any further if you have two bikes or 4. Always the same rear clearance.

Same distance off the back with 1 or 6 bikes, also your departure angle doesn't change.

OviXTZVh.jpg

It can also doubles as a bike stand post ride.

sJSM61Fh.jpg

XpKQnw0h.jpg

You can also use them on any type of vehicle! (this is not my mustang, but I wish it was.)

H58nWF9h.jpg

Recently, however, I have heard about a different version of this type of bike rack.

http://recon-racks.com/

It also doubles as a bike stand (ford has a ReconRack)

so5x5WPh.jpg

The great thing about the ReconRack one is it doesn't limit the type of bike you carry. With the NorthShore, you are limited to bikes with suspension and certain types of bikes don't fit very well in the rack if the headtube and the stantions are large. I know on my original 4 bike, a 2013 demo 8 wouldn't fit due to these clearances. They have since fixed that issue with more current racks, but there might be certain bikes that are a bit of a struggle to get in there. With the ReconRack, the front wheel is held in place so those clearance issues are no longer an issue. The recon also has a swing away optional feature which might be beneficial. You can also add a hitch carrier basket to this one when bikes are loaded or even tow a small trailer, so you don't lose functionality of the hitch with the rack installed.

These racks are pretty pricey, but IMO, my bikes are worth enough to me that I want something that I know won't fail. The 1UP racks are really nice, but I think you can only go 3 deep and then it sticks further off the back.

Also, another thought on mounting locations, I saw this at the Overland Expo in 2014. Great idea so the bike rack doesn't interfere with the rear door. Not sure about your setup, but this was a really cool idea:

wHjEuvHh.jpg

Hope that helps!

TwinDuro

What a damn cool build Eric! I love your approach to building the "perfect" PNW rig for your guys' needs. The VMI setup is so cool, and after looking at the specs, I love the ProPex heater; what a cool (meaning hot) compact unit!

Keep the photos and adventures coming!

ericvs

80° this thursday out here! Time for the summer vibes to set in!

Getting excited for Westport again!

3zYbZxZh.jpg

6UEslmSh.jpg

WHY9V1ah.jpg

i7G8du4h.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
You dont usually worry about the cost of the rack when the bike hanging off of it is as expensive as the average used car :)

At least that was always my excuse when the wife asked why the rack costs so much

ericvs

You dont usually worry about the cost of the rack when the bike hanging off of it is as expensive as the average used car :)

At least that was always my excuse when the wife asked why the rack costs so much
Darn right. I can't see balking at spending a small % of the total cost of the stuff hanging off there for a little piece of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk