Postponed.... The sequel to the Maya Rally 2012 -> The 2013 Alaska Rally!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
You have to keep in mind, Alaska is not really known for extensive off roads. There are not many roads period. That was always the irony of seeing things like Unimogs in AK. They went down the same roads that were used by rental RVs and VW buses. Any road in AK with any kind of connectivity is almost always passable with a passenger car. Most "off road" roads are very short and often don't connect to anything.

yes that is my understanding also. that's actually true for many parts of the world.
that's why the Rally would also have a 2WD category, just like in Mexico.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input so far. Here are a few personal comments:

-Since we have many expo members living up in Alaska, we would make sure to use your knowledge to help us find the best activities to do (whether offroad or not).
-Nothing is definitive at this point. I think Anchorage made sense so people can get supplies and it's also an easy location to meet up if people wants to fly in (family, media, etc).
Based on the experience in Guanajuato, it was also fun to have a gathering point where the "locals" can see and check out the vehicles - a large city preferably.
But we are open to any suggestion.
-Whether you do a 2-3 weeks rally, or a 2-3 years, there are always more places to see and not enough time to do it all.
-For 2014, I have something else in mind...so that would probably not be possible. There is also the Alcan 5000 in 2014.
Fall 2013 is an option though - how late could we do it before it snows?
-As for doing something closer in the USA, there are already many events - like the Overland Rally(s), the Moab Cruise, etc, etc. For me personally it's less exciting to organize - I have never been to Alaska or Yukon, and it's been way too long since I have been in BC...so my motivation is higher to do it there!

Keep the ideas coming!

I think the fall is the best...no bugs...cool nights...good fishing (the most important)...
I drove back from Anchorage to Flagsaff in September of 2009...took me 5 days...long days but doable by myself...snow was starting to cover the mountains in BC but the road conditions were fine...
I would be possible for those interested to make one direction the scenic route and make a fast trip home to commitments/work/etc.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Bill, thanks for posting this.

Do you think this route could be done in a 2WD or are there any specific 4WD section?

If not I am sure we could add some along the way, similar to a "special" in the Dakar...
2WD with no problem. And man...that's a TON of driving. One of the things I've noticed about overlanders in Alaska is that the journey doesn't mean squat. It's all about the destination. Drive, drive, drive until you get to Prudhoe, take your picture at the three required signs (AK, Arctic Circle, Prudhoe) and then drive home as fast as possible.

Gotta say this - every year thousands of retired couple in rented RVs do the Alaskan experience far better than most overlanders in their blingy trucks.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
You have to keep in mind, Alaska is not really known for extensive off roads. There are not many roads period. That was always the irony of seeing things like Unimogs in AK. They went down the same roads that were used by rental RVs and VW buses. Any road in AK with any kind of connectivity is almost always passable with a passenger car. Most "off road" roads are very short and often don't connect to anything.

Go onto Mud and search for the Alaska expedition that Mark arranges. 35s are a minimum requirement. Along with snorkels and a whole lot of waterproofing and gear. Makes the trips posted here look comical. Thats what Im talking about.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
haha, that's the best quote today!!
Alaska is an astoundingly beautiful journey. In four years I didn't even scratch the surface, and we really did try to see as much of it as we could. Because of the rugged nature of AK, most of it is simply not wheel accessible. To really experience it, you have to fold in ample boat and plane travels.

My conversations with overlanders who traveled through AK always break my heart. "Did you go to <insert amazing experience here> on your overland trip?" I'd ask that question a dozen times and always get the response, "Uh...didn't have time..., and didn' want to leave the truck unattended for too long."

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Go onto Mud and search for the Alaska expedition that Mark arranges. 35s are a minimum requirement. Along with snorkels and a whole lot of waterproofing and gear. Makes the trips posted here look comical. Thats what Im talking about.

Very true viggen, but in the Alaska Regional forum on ExPo there is talk about getting an expedition type club going that is more camping and light trails oriented.
Sending Christian P. a PM.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
My conversations with overlanders who traveled through AK always break my heart. "Did you go to <insert amazing experience here> on your overland trip?" I'd ask that question a dozen times and always get the response, "Uh...didn't have time..., and didn' want to leave the truck unattended for too long."

yep, that's why I would need people with knowledge like you to suggest us a few "secret" activities that people can do along the way to fully experienced Alaska (given the short time).

that's what we did on the Maya Rally, we tried to include at least one or 2 activities every day as part of the scavenger hunt.

It makes for long day, but it also does create a really unique adventure - unlike pretty much anything else right now.

Bill Beers

Explorer
...Do you think this route could be done in a 2WD or are there any specific 4WD section?...

To echo Flounder, 2WD no problem. The biggest hurdle is the time. Most of this route I've done with 1WD, (2000 trip w/my dad, him on a Concours and me on a Transalp.) We were, roughly, one week up, OR to AK, one week in Denali w/side trip, (2-day,) to Deadhorse, then a week back. It's a lot of time in the saddle. Wore out a complete set of tires, (though thankfully no punctures.)

I think some kind of trip up the Stewart-Cassiar, w/lots of side trips, (Bear Glacier, Hyder,) would be really neat.

Viggen

Just here...
Gotta say this - every year thousands of retired couple in rented RVs do the Alaskan experience far better than most overlanders in their blingy trucks.

So, its like Colorado in the summer? I swear, there are more Texans in Colorado around July than there are in Texas.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I wonder how much extra stuff you could pack into that trip given the distances. There are some things that are pretty common on an AK journey. Soaking in the hot springs at Liard is a given. A diversion to Skagway or Haines is always interesting. I liked spending time at Atlin Lake, just southwest of Whitehorse. All of that before you even get to Tok. But, that's huge country. The detour off the highway just to Atlin is a couple hours. Same for Skagway or Haines. I've driven to/from Alaska several times. A slow trip from say Anchorage to Seattle is still going to be week long affair. Plus, you miss all of coastal AK which is really spectacular. Homer, Haines, and the 114 villages that make up SE Alaska are worth seeing, even if all you catch is a little bit of it.

themickeyd

I wonder how much extra stuff you could pack into that trip given the distances. There are some things that are pretty common on an AK journey. Soaking in the hot springs at Liard is a given. A diversion to Skagway or Haines is always interesting. I liked spending time at Atlin Lake, just southwest of Whitehorse. All of that before you even get to Tok. But, that's huge country. The detour off the highway just to Atlin is a couple hours. Same for Skagway or Haines. I've driven to/from Alaska several times. A slow trip from say Anchorage to Seattle is still going to be week long affair. Plus, you miss all of coastal AK which is really spectacular. Homer, Haines, and the 114 villages that make up SE Alaska are worth seeing, even if all you catch is a little bit of it.

Flounder has a lot of good things to think about. I spent 22 years in Alaska and driven the Alaska Highway 17 times in everything from a Motorcycle to a motorhome. Take time to look into the road to Inuvik, Telegraph Creek or maybe the Dumpster. . er Dempster Hwy. Both much further off the main path than most others (ie the motorhomes) will ever go. And Anchorage for solstice, was pretty boring. Anchorage was were I grew up but someplace interesting like Dawson (the use to have a hell of a party on the hill outside of town were you can watch the sun barly disappears below the horizon before poping back up a few minutes later), or Fairbanks are much more light on Solstis. Either way the best research on the roads up there is going to be the Milepost travel guide.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Take time to look into the road to Inuvik, Telegraph Creek or maybe the Dumpster. . er Dempster Hwy. Both much further off the main path than most others (ie the motorhomes) will ever go. And Anchorage for solstice, was pretty boring. Anchorage was were I grew up but someplace interesting like Dawson (the use to have a hell of a party on the hill outside of town were you can watch the sun barly disappears below the horizon before poping back up a few minutes later), or Fairbanks are much more light on Solstis. Either way the best research on the roads up there is going to be the Milepost travel guide.

I live in Whitehorse, and that's my advise to Christian too.
I think we should detour up the South Canol, then up to Dawson. Maybe consider the Dempster instead of the Dalton (More beautiful, less traffic, IMHO).

So much to see and do up here, but at least around Solstice it will be easy to do 18-20 hour days.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues