Potential 80 acquisition

Afdfiremedic

Hello everyone, I have the opportunity to trade my 1st gen 4runner 22re,5 speed, bj spacers, bilstein 5100's, OME rear leafs, new full exhaust, new head, timing chain, water pump, oil pump, fuel injectors, tires, wheels for a 1993 series 80 with 212,000 on the clock. It has a branded title because of a previous fender bender, but he states it was repaired correctly. I have yet to inspect the truck but according to the owner it is on good mechanical shape, runs:drives well. Basically stock rig without lockers. The only thing he mentioned was a valve tick. My question to you guys is do you think this would be a good straight up trade? I have read Slee's buyers guide. This is not a daily driver rig, and will replace the 4runner as a camping/expo rig for my wife dog and I. I am very tempted as I've always wanted an 80. Here are both rigs: what say you? Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360439028.660824.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360439055.429881.jpg

FZJ4Fun

That really depends on what you want to do with it. I really liked my mini Toyota's until I wanted to wheel and go exploring with 3 kids, then it got a bit small. It sounds like you have done all the maintenance on your rig and have it set up how you like it and you'd be getting into a landcruiser which has unknown maintenance records. They 4 runner will get almost twice the fuel mileage of the cruiser if that is a concern, my cruiser doesn't get driven as often because it gets closer to 11mpg with 35's vs my old toy truck getting 20mpg with the same tires. The cruiser is a beast on and off road, they are amazingly comfortable to drive and feel solid in almost every situation. A down side is they are heavy and harder to get unstuck if you drive through mud. Are lockers an important upgrade for you? For me that was why I was looking for the cruiser since they come stock on some models and are costly to add. Anyway, I don't know if that helps at all. Weighing out the pros and cons of your rig vs the landcruiser and thinking of how many times you'll drive it will help.

d67u57

Adventurer
i would pay a LOT of attention to what damage that ' a previous fender bender'

unfortunately,some things might not be relevant to the naked eye.

a few years back i test drove an xj,i felt it rode a tad weird.

took it in,apparently frame went and they did a hack(unsafe) job..

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Took a look at it and it ended up being a '92, and a giant POS. the 4runner remains in the stable.

Easy enough. At least it wasn't one of those deals where you were on the fence. Sweet 4runner, by the way. That's what I grew up camping in. I think it was an '86...red w/ white wagon wheels. Most fun vehicle ever.

FZJ4Fun

I was going to say the wheels are wrong for a '93- I have a '93 with the exact same paint scheme. I wouldn't worry too much about frame damage on a 80 series, mine had been laid on its side, once you look at the frame you'll know why they don't have problems (boxed frame). Sounds like you made a wise choice, happy hunting for the next one!

60Dan

Explorer
Keep the faith! The '92 sports the 3FE motor which is gutless to say the least, you would probably enjoy the 1FZ more. Both reliable motors though.

Nice 4Runner BTW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77