Potential Gen III Newb with Some Questions

racer768

Hi there...this is my first post. This site is a great resource as I've been looking around at buying a 03-06 Monty. I currently have an 05 Dakota quad cab but with a baby on the way, am looking to go for a SUV. Good thing about this is that I'm used to crappy MPG...best I've ever gotten on the highway was 17.5 with my Dakota.

I've run across an '03 Limited with 130K and though I haven't seen it yet in person, it appears to be in great shape in and out. One thing I've noticed with higher mileage interiors is leather wear, but this truck looks clean.

Asking price is $4800 but here is the catch. Timing belt, cams, and water pump were just done recently by a dealer so that is obviously in the pros section. Here are the cons...A/C doesn't work, Needs O2 sensor, and rear springs need to be replaced (don't know why this is but am interested in OME lift so might be a perfect time to do it). It also has a power steering fluid leak, needs rotors and pads.

So with all that, I'd love to hear your opinions on the price. I am capable of doing much of this work on my own, but wondering if you think this is one to leave alone.

MontyMcV

Observer
See my thread on "Heads Up: Gen III rear diff issue." Not a show stopper by any means. Just something to consider adding to the R&R bucket list.

Price seems okay for a Gen III. And with 03 you get the 3.8L, which will get y ou 16+mpg on a good day. By comparison, my 00 3.5L with 86k miles cost me $6100. Needed all the 60k maintenance though.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
That price seems a little high for no A/C. There should be others in that price range with fewer issues. Springs and O2 sensor are not a major issue though. The new sensor will help with the MPG. I would definitely see it in person and check it for any other small issues. Should be able to get it for 3k-4k in this condition.

racer768

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely not in a hurry and can wait for a deal. I'm looking to spend around what I think I can get for my truck ($10k ish), but obviously spending less would afford for some mods off the bat. Here's a question to you all that know the Gen IIIs...other than wheels, what other differences are there between the 03/04 and 05/06? Would you be more inclined to buy a lower mileage 03/04 or higher mileage 05/06 for the same price? All else equal.

Michael Brown

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definitely not in a hurry and can wait for a deal. I'm looking to spend around what I think I can get for my truck ($10k ish), but obviously spending less would afford for some mods off the bat. Here's a question to you all that know the Gen IIIs...other than wheels, what other differences are there between the 03/04 and 05/06? Would you be more inclined to buy a lower mileage 03/04 or higher mileage 05/06 for the same price? All else equal.

Those made 2003+ are slightly more desirable. The 5-speed helps with fuel economy, but I'm not sure if the XLS model still had the LSD. A Limited model will have more luxury SUV features like the rear A/C and wood trim. An XLS will be the base model, but only lacking in trim and accessories. Any of the Monteros from this time frame will be reliable if correctly maintained. Main items to note for judging price is the rear A/C, whether it has the 3.5 or 3.8 engine, 4 speed or 5 speed transmission, and what the maintenance record shows. Mileage is of only minor concern for myself. My 01 has 168k miles, but I have also beaten the tar out of it. A few replacement parts but nothing major and it is still driving strong.
Also of note is that early XLS models like mine will not have the triptronic II 4wd selector. It will be a mechanical shifter in the center.

Michael Brown

Nothing that I know of. In 03 they switched most over to the 3.8L. Others may know more, but 03-06 should be the same with only a refreshing of the body styling. Too bad we cannot get the newest generation in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven