Power Needed to Drag a Trailer Through the Backcountry

Cortttt

If you go Mantis it would have to be the Overland and I believe they are 3,500 plus dry and 5,200 gvw. Not sure I would trust them for to hard of off roading. RKS look awesome in regard to build quality and bathroom. But a lot of money for a non stand up rig. Boreas Eos12 is 75k but a consideration. Mission Overland, RKS and High Altitude Trailer are coming out with stand ups but will be heavy and expensive. I decided on Trailer Marker Up and Out with wet bath. Not your typical build. More rustic
Thanks for the ideas. Yes, RKS is expensive....Boreas is too expensive but I didn't know about the others. I will check out Trail Markup as well

Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

If you're planning on a new vehicle anyway, and you are planning to have a trailer, why limit yourself with a van? Vans aren't generally designed for towing, and the gearing will be the biggest issue (if you're stuck on a van try to get 4.11 gears or something close to that). If I was in your shoes and I liked the GMC/Chevy brand, I'd be looking at either a 1500 or a Colorado with the L3B 4-cylinder turbo (it will be available in the Colorado next year, probably). Good gas mileage while not towing and plenty of oomph when you need it. I also like the Ford eco boost engines, but I don't like Ford trucks (I've had several and used to tow a 9,000 lb boat with the 3.5L eco boost and it did great). I currently tow a ~2,500 lb trailer with a Jeep and will second everything that NatersXJ6 said above about needing to be over 3,000 rpms going up grades. As long as I plan carefully, I don't have issues. The only time I've had a problem with my wimpy 3.6L V6 is in super technical terrain trying to get over a steep obstacle or up a rutted hill that is sandy or slippery. Thats the only time I feel like it is dangerous not having another 100 hp. :)

Cortttt

Yep, it sounds like a well-worn transmission! Similar to what I think my issue is here.

In that case, pick the 6.6L. They always say “there’s no replacement for displacement” although my eco boost 3.5L is making that statement show its age. Good luck. It is hard to go wrong with choosing the biggest option, although you will get poor mileage all the time instead of only when towing.
Tranny and engine are actually in great shape. None of the v-8's have good mpg but the 6.6 with its direct injection should add a couple of mpg.

Cortttt

If you're planning on a new vehicle anyway, and you are planning to have a trailer, why limit yourself with a van? Vans aren't generally designed for towing, and the gearing will be the biggest issue (if you're stuck on a van try to get 4.11 gears or something close to that). If I was in your shoes and I liked the GMC/Chevy brand, I'd be looking at either a 1500 or a Colorado with the L3B 4-cylinder turbo (it will be available in the Colorado next year, probably). Good gas mileage while not towing and plenty of oomph when you need it. I also like the Ford eco boost engines, but I don't like Ford trucks (I've had several and used to tow a 9,000 lb boat with the 3.5L eco boost and it did great). I currently tow a ~2,500 lb trailer with a Jeep and will second everything that NatersXJ6 said above about needing to be over 3,000 rpms going up grades. As long as I plan carefully, I don't have issues. The only time I've had a problem with my wimpy 3.6L V6 is in super technical terrain trying to get over a steep obstacle or up a rutted hill that is sandy or slippery. Thats the only time I feel like it is dangerous not having another 100 hp. :)
Agreed about the van. I would go pickup if I could but the van, despite its considerable limitations, unfortunately, must stay. I would love, love, love to try out that 3.0L duramax :)

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, RKS is expensive....Boreas is too expensive but I didn't know about the others. I will check out Trailer Markup as well

I have a Ford Transit with Quigley 4x4. Not the best tow vehicle. With the added weight in my van I did not want to go over 4,200 gvw on trailer. One of the reason I went with Trail Marker. Stand up rig with bathroom gvw 3,500. Timbren 3500hd , articulating hitch with up to 18 inches of clearance

stevo_pct

OBI Deller looks like a great option, as well as some of the others folks have mentioned above. I don't think the Airstream Basecamp would do well on extended rough roads - at least I wouldn't want one for that purpose.

Cortttt

OBI Deller looks like a great option, as well as some of the others folks have mentioned above. I don't think the Airstream Basecamp would do well on extended rough roads - at least I wouldn't want one for that purpose.

My worry about the Basecamp too. It looks really well built but not necessarily for offroad. They don't mention axle or hitch.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
More power is better. Low range is a must off road as a lower rear drive ratio. Gas mileage is secondary .

Sounds like a very expensive project to build from the ground up . You might want to look for a van that already has the qualities your seek.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm transitioning from a GMC van with a 4.8L engine and a limited-slip that I've been boondocking in for quite a while to another Chevy/GMC van with 4wd and probably a locker towing probably a 3-5000 lb. trailer. Besides having 200K on it the present van doesn't do well on steeper hills and clearly doesn't have the power to tow a trailer when it gets a little sketchy (sandy, muddy).

I have no experience at all with 4wd. My question is how much power do I need to get that trailer through the somewhat sketchy dirt roads that I encounter in the desert and sometimes in the mountains. Since it looks like it's going to be a Chevy the power possibilities are:
  • 2.8L - 181@4200 hp; 369@2000 Torque; Towing capacity - 6000
  • 6.0 L - High: 362 hp @ 5400 RPM; 360 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM; towing capacity - 10,000 -
  • 6.6l - 401@5200; 464@4000, towing capacity - 10,000

The 2.8 is enticing because of the good MPG but I don't know if has the pulling power. I think, but don't know, that the 6.0 has good low-end torque. The 6.6l has better mpg than the 6.0 and excellent low end torque.

I believe they all have 3.42 gears.

Any ideas would be welcome :)
Trailers are like boat anchors in sand. Your basically dragging a 3000lb double fluked anchor behind that poor thing.

Grassland

Not surprised the 4L60E and the 4.8 are clapped out with 3.42 gears.
I haven't followed the "newer" GM vans, are they using a beefier six speed auto at least in the newer ones?

What about putting steeper gears in? I don't understand GMs obsession with the tallest gears possible, but then again the speed limit is 70 or lower where I live so maybe 3.08 and 3.42 final ratio makes sense down south where you can drive 85. Are you planning on taller that stock OD tires? What other extra weight are you planning for in the van?

Thor owns Airstream now, and Airstream is not what it was decades ago. I've heard of issues Taxa has with their frames, to the point somebody on this forum had a custom frame made and mounted the trailer (cricket or Mantis I forget) body on it. Somebody else on here had their Wooly Bear catastrophically break on a trip to Alaska or Yukon I forget which but up there on rough gravel roads. That trailer is lighter and smaller than a Mantis by far.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I haven't followed the "newer" GM vans, are they using a beefier six speed auto at least in the newer ones?

What about putting steeper gears in? I don't understand GMs obsession with the tallest gears possible, but then again the speed limit is 70 or lower where I live so maybe 3.08 and 3.42 final ratio makes sense down south where you can drive 85. Are you planning on taller that stock OD tires? What other extra weight are you planning for in the van?

Thor owns Airstream now, and Airstream is not what it was decades ago. I've heard of issues Taxa has with their frames, to the point somebody on this forum had a custom frame made and mounted the trailer (cricket or Mantis I forget) body on it. Somebody else on here had their Wooly Bear catastrophically break on a trip to Alaska or Yukon I forget which but up there on rough gravel roads. That trailer is lighter and smaller than a Mantis by far.
The issue with all dealer sold stuff right now is the huge price gouging. Hell even Ford CEO commented about it.
If your shopping trailers skip all the dealer stuff. Go direct sales.

Cortttt

The gassers are sticking with the 6spd for now; the baby diesel has the 8 I believe. Steeper gears are a possibility. I see that Timberline will put some in.
Not sure about tires. Even the extended van has done pretty good. I did thump a transmission pan that had to be replaced but it has pretty good clearance. I may go with a lift and bigger tires but if I do that will probably be the last thing I do.
To my utter amazement I found that I actually went past payload with this van but the next van will not be so heavy. It will have solar panels, batteries, refrigerator, recovery gear, etc. - maybe 1500 lbs ?

Didn't know that Thor took over Airstream! Thanks for the tips on the Mantis.

Cortttt

More power is better. Low range is a must off road as a lower rear drive ratio. Gas mileage is secondary .

Sounds like a very expensive project to build from the ground up . You might want to look for a van that already has the qualities your seek.
I am looking :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy