Pre birth of a camper - No laughing!

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
My truck has aluminium cappings over GRP faced plywood, on a steel frame. The cappings have come loose in a few places but this is only where water has got under, rusted the steel frame, and loosened the adhesive bond. Where the capping is only jointing the GRP, the cappings are still firm after 10 years on a 5m box.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
The new profiles have been fitted to the truck and they are looking good. The guys have clearly taken a lot more care in the gluing process and apparently had the Sika rep on site to discuss the best approach.

I had them open up the wheel access as it was proving very difficult to change the rear wheels. Here's the profile being temporarily fixed and sized
WP_20131207_002 (1024x577).jpg

I also had them remove the upstands on the roof because this was trapping too much water and aggravating the leaks.

WP_20140102_001 (577x1024).jpg

This obviously means there is now a step down from the over cab space to the main body.

WP_20140102_003 (1024x577).jpgWP_20140102_005 (1024x577).jpg

Here's the wheel arch area prep'd for spraying (due to be done tomorrow - Friday. Actually - that's now today!)

WP_20140102_004 (1024x577).jpgWP_20140102_002 (1024x577).jpg

I'm hoping to pick it up on Saturday

Last edited:

mervifwdc

Adventurer
I've not checked into this thread for a while and I'm well impressed at your progress! Deadly stuff!

Well done indeed!

Merv.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
As is normal - the painting was not done on time today. In fact it wasn't started. Two pluses from this though:
- They are spending time on completing the prep
- And - I've taken the opportunity to change the colour from the current Blue Grey (RAL 7040) to a more Sandy Grey (RAL 7032) . No it's NOT Beige :)

they'll only be spraying the box so I'll have to redo the cab when the weather gets a bit better.

The change is from the current colour seen on our van on the left to approximately the colour of Neil & Pat's van on the right.

WP_20130928_008 (1024x577).jpg

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Got it back today and it's looking good.
WP_20140111_001.jpg

I still have to paint the cab but I'm happy with the new colour. More importantly - the Boss is.

Joe917

Explorer
There is nothing more frustrating than trying to track down a leak (maybe an electrical leak)
Have you looked at using 3M 5200 polyurethane? Incredibly strong and stays flexible. They use it to glue the deck to the hull in fiberglass boat construction.
It's leaking :-(

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
There is nothing more frustrating than trying to track down a leak (maybe an electrical leak)
Have you looked at using 3M 5200 polyurethane? Incredibly strong and stays flexible. They use it to glue the deck to the hull in fiberglass boat construction.

They used a Sikaflex two pack system to mount the profiles and sealed with Sikaflex 252 ( I think). So the problem should not be due to flex. I think this small leak is just down to a bit they missed. Fingers crossed.

On the plus side I finally got the new rear shocks fitted. Getting the old one off was not easy. The lower bolts were very tight and seized. A combination of an 18V 1/2 inch SnapOn rattler and heat didn't budge them. I finally resorted to heat + hydraulic jack on a breaker bar + beating and they both eventually came free. It's at times like this you start to think that you might need to trade in your 1/2 Inch sockets for bigger boys.

I need to take a spin on some poor roads to see if they've made much of a difference.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I brought the van back out to the box builder again during the week and the spotted the likely culprit. We've had some spectacularly heavy rain this morning and it looks like it's finally watertight!

I also swapped the wheels back to the 17.5" dualies. A bit of a PIA to do but the result was interesting. The van was more stable, but not as I'd expected. The change made little difference to the pendulum sensation at the rear. However it was more willing to track in a straight line even on very poor roads. Two possible causes come to mind:
- The fact that the 19.5" wheels have drive axle tyres on the front means the steering is less direct
- Either the wider tyre profile or the different offset (if there is a different offset - need to check) is causing bump steer.

More investigation needed.

I'd be inclined to stick with the 17.5" wheels except that I'd need to buy 4 new Michelin XZTs at about €400 a pop.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Hi Ian, I have no experience of Ridgon themselves but the tread pattern is extremely similar to the bandag retreads that I use on the drive axle on my truck. They've served me well so far and give good traction on wet ground. I'm not doing any serious offroading but when the surface is bad enough for the tyres to start spinning, the tread does a good job of gaining traction as it digs down. I've not driven on soft sand so can't comment on how effective they'd be. They're surprisingly quiet on the highway.

Here's a photo showing the tread on my tyres, sorry but I don't have a clearer photo.

py5FvOh.jpg

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Just to recap here's the camper details:
-Chassis is a 2002 model 814DA with approximately 230K Kms
-Overall height 3.5m
-Overall length 7.2m
-Wheelbase 3.7m and rear overhang of 2.2m
-Weight: Front axle 2600Kg, Rear Axel 3400Kg
-Original wheels were standard 17.5Inch rims with Michelin 9.5 R17.5 XZT tyres and with duel wheels on the back.
-New wheels are 8.25 x 19.5 wheels (+ 98mm offset) with 285/70 R 19.5 Continental HDR tyres and with just singles on the back
-New Koni adjustable dampers have been fitted and with the damping adjusted by 1.5 turns
-The rubbers in the anti-roll bars have been replaced
-The rest of the suspension is original

The problems
1) On a good smooth road steering inputs feel like they are delayed and then when the steering change is felt, the rear feels like it’s swinging around. This can lead to me over steering and then over compensating. Not a nice feeling. However on long fast curves, the steering is slow to react and the tail feels like it’s swinging a bit, but then the van settles into the corner and can carry good speed.
2) On bumpy or poor road surfaces (we have a lot of this in Ireland :) ) the van does not want to track straight. It will tend to change direction without warning even on small things like centre white lines. This is very disconcerting.

Steps taken to try and resolve or at least diagnose the situation
1) I replaced the suspension rubbers on the anti-roll bars. There was no noticeable change
2) I got in touch with Continental and they advised me to change the tyre pressures down to 4.5bar front and rear. They also pointed out that the HDR tyres are “Drive Only” tyres and not designed for steering, but they felt they should be “Ok”. The lowering of the pressure (from about 5.5bar) improved the ride comfort but didn’t help on the two problems
3) Fitted the new Koni dampers. This did help somewhat. But the problems still exist as described.
4) I refitted the original 17.5Inch wheels. This made some difference to the first problem. The steering felt a little quicker to react and the rear didn’t swing quite as much – although there was still tail swing. The big change was that the van was far less troubled by poor or bumpy roads and tracked straight.
5) I then put the 17.5" wheels on the front and the 19.5" singles on the back. Tail swing was somewhere between having all 17.5" wheels fitted (including duals on the back) and all 19.5" wheels fitted (closer to this). Steering felt like all 17.5" setup and it tended to track pretty straight.

These are my thoughts on why changing back to the original wheels helped:
1) The dual rear wheels – This probably would have helped reduce the feeling of the rear tail swing, but I can see how it helped with the feeling of steering or the changes of direction on poor roads
2) The new (custom made) 19.5inch wheels may have a different offset – This may explain the changes of direction on poor roads?
3) The HDR tyres have a much wider contact patch which might be more susceptible to following the poor road surfaces and causing changes of direction?
4) The HDR tyres are designed to be drive only tyres and are not at all suited to steering?

Options
1) Going back to just 17.5" wheels seems to be the safest option. Problem is that I'd have to buy 5 good tyres (£280 a pop) plus a rim and plus I'd have to do a fair bit of rework as I used the space left free by going to the singles to route the black water 3" pipe.
2) Buy 2 steering/all location tyres for the 19.5" front. Trouble is - I don't know if this will behave the same way as the 17.5".

Any thoughts/suggestions or even criticisms welcomed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy