Prices on EP Classified seem to be HIGH!

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Valid points! On another note, I got a friend that’s a realtor. He told me that if a home doesn’t sell for “awhile“, he will raise the prices slightly and it will sell. I find that kinda odd.

Real estate is a different world, "real" property, unless it has some degree of obsolescence, will appreciate in value, where "personal property depreciates.

Raising RE prices to stagnant listings is a new tactic as housing prices soared in the past few years. Home buyers also shop listings within a rage of values, usually based on the amount they qualify for from a mortgage lender. Asking $349,500 will be at the top of some buyer's ability to buy. Other buyers may be seeking a range of $350,000 to $375,000, they will often pass by listings under their desired price rang. Raising that price to, say, $352,900 can bring the attention of a different group of buyers.

Another aspect of raising a home price tells those who did consider that home but failed to make an offer that; values are increasing, better act now than to wait and lose out entirely. "Head games".

Last edited:

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

I think a lot of vehicles here are overpriced, but there is the occasional good deal to be found. The flip side is that you're mostly dealing with people who know and care about vehicles. Buying off Craigslist or Facebook can be a total crapshoot, and most sellers can't tell you maintenance history or even basic details about the vehicles they're selling.
Come to think of it, I've never found a used car dealer who offered maintenance records.

IMO, buying from an owner is where the best deal is likely to come from. Dealers are, most likely, out to make a greater profit than an owner. While this generally comes "buying right" by a dealer, a private seller will be limited to "book value" on an asking price. Dealers can often go over "book value" offering warranties, financing and repairs.

tacollie

Glamper
A lot of the vehicles are in states with higher vehicle prices. A lot of those expensive vehicles are a couple hours from me. I gave up buying vehicles in Colorado. I fly and drive. Between her RX350 and my F250 it has saved us $13k.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

A lot of the vehicles are in states with higher vehicle prices. A lot of those expensive vehicles are a couple hours from me. I gave up buying vehicles in Colorado. I fly and drive. Between her RX350 and my F250 it has saved us $13k.
That might explain why the owner of that '97 is so proud of his van.

I just got my personal property tax notice-WOW, You'd think I had a Rolls parked in the garage next to my Lambo, my boat must be a yacht, even my homemade trailer increased by over 300%! It's nothing but extorsion.

I'm giving them a call, because as few know, the tax is based on the asset value as of Jan.1, their government edition of the Blue Book is an average based on quarters, that's apples and oranges.

For that money I'd go with a class C and have it modified to 4x4!

Might as well pick on the $40,000 2018 Z2 that hit the page today.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Come to think of it, I've never found a used car dealer who offered maintenance records.
They might not have received them when they took the vehicle in trade.
Most people rarely remember to bring in the spare key when they drop off a trade in, never mind maintenance records.
And lot of people wouldn't trust a dealer to hide their personal information that's on the maintenance records.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Those vans don't grow on trees and are getting more rare. Prices will come down soon but not by as much as some people think because of scarcity and hyperinflation effects. But I've personally gotten some cherry deals on here. Bought my base vehicle during the Rona on this forum. 2001 F450 fire truck with 38k original miles, 7.3 powerstroke for $12k. 3 weeks later bought a set of 5 Buckstop super singles with MPT81s for $3500 and the seller drove them to me from another state. Just saw a decked out Norweld canopy trade for $3500. Keep your eyes peeled and be prepared to strike and drive. Do your due diligence of course. YMMV.

86scotty

Cynic
Unless a vehicle has a "collector" value, all vehicles are depreciating assets.

I used to believe that. I don't anymore. People pay silly money for vehicles, sometimes something exotic, sometimes some guy wants to fulfill his high school dreams later in life by buying a mint Reliant K car with 300 original miles. It's a weird world and people are making money selling vehicles. I'm not a flipper but I've had lots of cars and only 'lost' money on one or two.

As mentioned, you can ask whatever you want for a vehicle, looking for suckers isn't really a good faith offering in the market.

I don't think good faith has much to do with anyone selling anything anymore, and certainly not cars. The whole entire billion dollar (or more) automotive industry (read dealership network) is built around looking for suckers.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

I used to believe that. I don't anymore. People pay silly money for vehicles, sometimes something exotic, sometimes some guy wants to fulfill his high school dreams later in life by buying a mint Reliant K car with 300 original miles.

Intrinsic values fall under "collectable" it's, I want that one because I do. Collectable doesn't mean antique or exotic but is usually sold to the eccentric.

I agree about suckers, one is born every minute. In fact, with the population boom, I'd say it's more often than that.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
for me the vehicles aren't the biggest issue, it's the trailers. Trailers that have a pop up tent or have only crossbars for a RTT asking for 20k plus and the pop ups asking 50k are just ludicrous. It's gotten ridiculous. Tear drops for 40-50k. Back in the day you could have bought a nice RV for that. Maybe not an offroad one but still..

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
for me the vehicles aren't the biggest issue, it's the trailers. Trailers that have a pop up tent or have only crossbars for a RTT asking for 20k plus and the pop ups asking 50k are just ludicrous. It's gotten ridiculous. Tear drops for 40-50k. Back in the day you could have bought a nice RV for that. Maybe not an offroad one but still..
Agreed. RV's are still nuts too. We have our eye on a Minnie Winnie 2301. The 2023's are being advertised for 25 grand more than new unsold 2022's?? Why?? I see no updates or upgrades. Oh. Wait. A 2" receiver hitch to carry accessories is now standard... FYI, prices are from the same dealer as well. I don't get it. Interest rates are high, inflation is high, recession on everyone's minds.... Hey, let's raise the prices 20 G's?? That'll sell some trailer!

I should mention the price of the 2022's haven't dropped since the summer either.

Screenshot 2022-11-28 114932.png

1.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-28 114932.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-28 114932.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 6

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Folks have mentioned that COVID/Vanlife pricing was in effect for a while, (and that was a factor that may be ending), but before this conversation goes too far down the "general RV pricing" road, I want to say that nobody yet has mentioned that 4x4 conversions are just increasingly expensive, and that, specifically, drives the pricing for used 4x4 vans.

A turnkey 4x4 conversion from UJOR or the like can blow past $20k easily. The number of other companies who will convert used vans can likely be counted on one hand, and there are at least one or two of those that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, so I think it's safe to say that "most" of the other converters are in a similar ballpark, pricewise. A few other companies did vans from new (Quigley, et. al.), but buying a used Quigley just means that ALL the miles are on the 4x4 drivetrain, instead of (for better or worse) some fewer number of miles on the post-conversion components.

Factoring the value of the conversion, even depreciated, $25k for a very-high-mileage van or $30k for a still-high-mileage van starts to make a little more sense. In other words, think about "cost to replace" - go find the cleanest 2WD van you like, then add $20k to the sticker and see where you end up. And for comparison's sake, don't forget to add in transportation costs, etc. if your preferred conversion shop isn't local to you.

So yes, general RV pricing is high, and prices asked on ExPo may be higher than the market in general, either because of specialized equipment, or as a "premium marketplace", but I don't think either of the OPs original reference prices were crazy given the overall van market today.

plh

Explorer
I think a lot of vehicles here are overpriced, but there is the occasional good deal to be found. The flip side is that you're mostly dealing with people who know and care about vehicles. Buying off Craigslist or Facebook can be a total crapshoot, and most sellers can't tell you maintenance history or even basic details about the vehicles they're selling.

And provide a blurry photo.

OTOH - BaT - can't wrap my head around 90% of the sales on that site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk