Pro-Comp Mud Terrains - Anyone using?

robert

Expedition Leader
If you are looking to save some cash, the Kuhmos can be had even cheaper. One of my friends is running their mud tire on his Wrangler with no complaints so far and they seem to get decent reviews on the various 4wd forums.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
[OPINION = ON]

For what it's worth, BFG's are too hard for off highway use. Yes, they do wear OK on the pavement, but for any serious OHV use, the lugs are prone to chunking, and the sidewalls are way to easily cut. I'll take a softer compound like the GoodYear MT/R's offer anyday, and if properly rotated and balanced expect to get well over 35,000 on a set that sees 80/20 highway/dirt. The current set on the '05 Taco has 24K on'm and still has better than 50% of tread left. they were siped at Discount Tire, and still don't show signs of excessive chunking.

Here's a post I wrote back in 2004:

First off, truck specs:

SAS'd 1987, 2 stock t'cases, 5.29:1 r/p, full spool rear locked, Detroit front locker. I rotate tires every 2000 miles due to the accelerated wear caused by a spool.

I finished building the truck in August of 2001 and purchased 5 new 35" BFG M/T's- a tire I'd used for years with good results for general 4x4'n. For severe use, they didn't hold up very well. Of the 5, I had 2 sidewall failures, and one tread failure (tore two whole lugs off down to the cords). The rubber compound was very stiff and not very flexible. After 14,000 miles of daily driving and up to 4.5 rated trail use, they were totally shot. Large chunks of rubber had been torn out of all 5 tires.

In August of 2002 I bought 4 new 35" Goodyear MT/R's. The rubber compound was very soft and flexible compared w/ the BFG- I was skeptical of how long they'd last, but had heard good reports from other wheelers who run the same type of trails I do. One guy who has F/R ARB's had over 30,000 on a set!

I was immediately impressed with the traction of the MT/R's- not just in rocks, but also in all the conditions I drive in. They were better in mud, snow and sand, and MUCH better in rocky conditions than the BFG's. They flexed better at low pressure, seemed to be almost immune to sidewall damage, and I had very little tread chunking for the first 15,000 miles or so. Up until a little over half the tread was gone (at about 12,000 miles) they performed outstanding, but after that, the wear accelerated pretty quickly. I've not been driving it on a daily basis since Sept of last year, so the miles I've put on them since have been all hard miles.

I've run all the moderate trails off Table Mesa Rd. in Arizona at least 2 times on this set of tires, that includes Lower and Upper Raw Deal, Lower and Upper Terminator (probably been thru the Terminators 4 times), Judgment Day, and Predator 3 times. I've driven 1000's of miles of dirt roads/trails, been in heavy snow, deep mud, sand, I ran Claw Hammer at last years Jambo @ the Hammer's, all with out even a minor problem (other than losing a bead). Up until the 20th of March- no problems at all!

After we decided to do a marathon run on Table Mesa- we did 4 trails in 5 hours- I finally punched a hole thru a sidewall. By then, the tires only had about a 1/4" of tread left, and to get good traction, I aired down to 8 PSI. The tread blocks were short and stiff, and they were getting pretty torn up- but, I had 19,100 miles of hard use on'm.

19,100 miles vs. 14,000. Not bad at all for a much better tire. They are a bit more expensive- the BFG's are $156.00 each; I paid $174.00 apiece for the MT/R's in 2002.

I bought a fresh set yesterday- at the same price, $174.00, and now that I trailer the truck to anything more than 60 miles away, they "should" last me several years. The spool on asphalt caused probably 80% of the wear- so I really do expect them to last a lot longer. I think a rig w/ a selectable locker could get 40,000 out of a set- the spool literally eats tires.

Later

Mark

So, in the case of the BFG's it took 8 tires to go 14K miles, and only 4 MT/R's to go 19K. The set I bought in 2004 are still on the truck, and I no longer trailer the rig, so it still sees some street time. They are chewed up pretty badly now, but the only use the rig sees is off highway or driving to and from a trail. They still have better than 50% tread left, at least in the center...

So why did I decide to put BFG's on my Taco??? I still kick myself for it, and the mild wheelin' I do in it shows the same severe chunking problems I had on the trail rig. If I could afford a new set of tires, I'd be rid of the BFG's today...

Mark

[OPINION = OFF]

SeaRubi

Explorer
BFG tire wear

Grim Reaper said:
Your math doesn't include tire wear. I can garantee the BFG will last twice as along. Procoms wear out even faster then the GoodYear MTR's.

depends on where you live. I can see ni a dry climate where you might prefer them, but those BFG muds are slicker 'n greased lightning at 50% tread. Siping helps but the compound is hard and doesn't work real well on wet pavement. They also really suck in the snow. The MT/R's seem to grip just a bit better on everything around here compared to BFG's.

fwiw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77