Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks guys! We are really enjoying her. We are feeling exhausted and really missing sleep but she is totally worth it! I can’t wait until she starts following me around the garage like cute little chaletK5 :sombrero:

Seems funny to start posting baby pictures in a truck thread but being a proud pappa I have to show a few more pictures. :)

Good thing she takes after her momma!
DSC_0261(2).jpgIMG_20130713_200842_465.jpg

huntsonora

Explorer
She is perfect in every way! You are a blessed man!

I'm heading through Pueblo to go to the ranch today but I'll catch up with you next trip, I know you're busy

Nice to see a little lady that I know will be the envy of the boys in High School! One of the best girls I ran around with drove a Powerstroke 5 speed and knew how to offroad! She even had a Capri with a 5.0 swapped in, and it could move! I have a little boy napping right now but wish for a girllie that I could raise up to laugh at the boys driving Eclipses and Hondas....then throw her truck into a power brake WHOOSAAA!!

I love to see people realize the value of old metal.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I really ought to stay away from Craigslist! I've been keeping a lookout for a CUCV M1009 Blazer the last few years, which is what I was actually looking for when I ran across the Polar Bear in the first place. This time I found this turd that I just had to have the second I saw the Craigslist add. A bare bones ex-government 1991 K5 roller originally equipped with a TBI 5.7L/700R4 automatic/NP241 tcase. The engine is gone but everything else is there. It is not a true CUCV Blazer but somewhat close to it and I really couldn't pass it up for a few hundred bucks. Hell, I could probably make money on it just by hauling it to straight to the scrap metal place from where Coloradobill and I picked it up. The only options it has are the up-level quad headlight grill, tow hooks and electric rear window. Other than that, it is complete base model like a CUCV but without the neat bumpers and rattley underpowered 6.2L diesel engine. Whatever government agency had this even painted it the desert tan like many of the CUCV trucks were painted. It is also 100% rust free! There isn't a hole or bubble to be found anywhere but it is going to need a hood as the one on it now is bent like a taco. Oh! and the original vinyl rear seat looks like brand new!

How you like those redneck roof mounted fog lights? No light bar or anything, just some big honkin holes drilled straight into the roof
rolleyes.gif
. You should have seen the guy we got this mess from
histerical.gif
. He probably used an air hammer to punch the holes in the roof.
9593055759_861c99b55b_c.jpg

9593041705_3094240e21_c.jpg

9595840718_481e16c770_c.jpg

9593062489_4e66346cb7_c.jpg

Ugly! Looks like someone used a jackhammer and a pitch fork to pry the old engine out then only left an exhaust Y-pipe behind
dunno.gif

9595861918_7d5534d425_c.jpg

9593086777_2247363c0c_c.jpg

9595868400_3b4a07cdc5_c.jpg

Don't plan on seeing any progress happening on this one real soon. The immediate plan is to power wash everything before it comes off the trailer and gets squirrelled away in storage behind the garage. Oh, and I just have to remove those stupid fog lights just because! The long-term plan at the moment is to use the 5.7L from the Polar Bear after it gets its 8.1L (and after the 5.7L gets some love to address its oil habit). With the new baby, the 8.1L for the Burb could now be next spring/summer the way time is looking. At this point, I am not sure if this K5 will be a fixer and flipper or a keeper to use as a local beater. Either way, I finally got a K5 to complete my trifecta of square bodies GM trucks ('78 K10 truck, '89 Suburban, and now '91 K5 Blazer). All I need now to complete the collection of square body '73-'87 (91 in Blazers and Burbs) GM trucks is a crew cab dually! No, no,, no….my wife will kill me if I drug one of those home too!

At least our new little 7 week old Hannah likes it! Well, at least I think she does…..she smiled when I told her about it
histerical.gif

Last edited:

clandr1

Adventurer
I absolutely love your logic. "I'm going to have a spare motor, might as well buy a truck to put it in."

Genius.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
haha. Yes! Awesome. I love the care you have for these squares! I know you said you wont be jumping in to this very quickly.. But I cant help but say, I really hope you decide to get into it sooner! I want to see what you do with this. So awesome.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I absolutely love your logic. "I'm going to have a spare motor, might as well buy a truck to put it in."

Genius.

Huh, ya, know, I never thought of it that way but I guess your right! I must have subconsciously been looking for something to stick the old small block in. Damn! And here I was looking at 70's Cadillac's as toy a while back without even considering what to do with the old Polar Bear small block
screwy.gif
. Heck, I should come here more often for life guidance!
waytogo.gif

But, here's the deal...I actually have two 8.1L engines laying around, so nothing would rule out this K5 also getting a big fatty too by the time it gets it turn through the BigassGas Garage a year or three down the road. The problem is, even outside of the engine cost regardless if you have on one hand or not, the cost of admission for install parts gets crazy for Gen III or 8.1L installs (harnesses, ECM tuning, etc). The TBI 5.7L would be the quick and easy re-entry in to the K5. Not sure I want to give up my last 8.1L assembly for this K5 though…. I might need it in case I blow one up! They can be hard engines to come by
histerical.gif

haha. Yes! Awesome. I love the care you have for these squares! I know you said you wont be jumping in to this very quickly.. But I cant help but say, I really hope you decide to get into it sooner! I want to see what you do with this. So awesome.

Hehe….Ah, I'll take some pictures of the power washing for ya. That's the only action it is going to see for at least a year minimum
histerical.gif

Last edited:
Geez Louise...do you have a permit for that vehicle storage lot you're running out there? I can just see you and Bill chuckling all the way out and back to pick that thing up. Oh well...probably keeps you out of bars at night...ha ha! Have fun. :sombrero:

p.s. Since you're so good at Craigslist, how about rustling up a good used 4WD camper for the MDR? I keep missing them in my price range...which is too low to mention in proper company.

LIVEanimals

Observer
The trifecta is complete. I can't wait to see the transformation of this rig. How are the little ladies doin Larry, I assume mama is all healed up and mobile again?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Geez Louise...do you have a permit for that vehicle storage lot you're running out there? I can just see you and Bill chuckling all the way out and back to pick that thing up. Oh well...probably keeps you out of bars at night...ha ha! Have fun. :sombrero:

p.s. Since you're so good at Craigslist, how about rustling up a good used 4WD camper for the MDR? I keep missing them in my price range...which is too low to mention in proper company.

Hehe, have lots of room out here. I am the biggest jerk in the neighborhood as far as complaining about weeds and yard junk so I really have to make sure my nose is clean. Everything except that old Corvair van fits in the garage but this K5 will go behind the fence until it gets it turn through the garage. Ha, I think the chuckles were replaced with silence and worry as we got closer to dilapidated trailer house where we picked it up. The sound of banjo's were concerning to us. Ya, I'll keep my eyes open for a camper for you!

Clean blazer! Ex-Border Patrol unit?

Hmmm, could be. I haven't had a chance to look at it close enough for clues about its past life yet. One thing that surprised me is there are not any holes drilled all over the interior for radios, cages, etc. Nothing.

The trifecta is complete. I can't wait to see the transformation of this rig. How are the little ladies doin Larry, I assume mama is all healed up and mobile again?

Yeah, the little ladies are doing well. Momma is all healed and baby is growing like a weed. Already pushing 11 lbs and smiles like crazy all the time. How is your wifey and new one?? Thanks for asking.

Oh and it looks like you'll need to add another vehicle to your Signature. :)

LOL….My signature is full, can't add anymore until I undo the hyper links...or sell something
doah.gif

Last edited:

huntsonora

Explorer
LOL….My signature is full, can't add anymore until I undo the hyper links...or sell something
doah.gif

Larry, I will step up and do you a solid. I have plenty of room in my signature line so I will buy the Suburban from you so you can add the Blazer to the sig line and the funds from Polar Bear will more than fund the build. I know I am generous but I'm a giver, what can I say :victory:

Glad to hear your girls are doing great! We had our little boy on Saturday. Life is good

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Larry, I guess congrats should go all the way around. First off on your beautiful little daughter. Secondly on the new truck for the lot. You could always paint that K5 white and call it the polar cub.....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven