Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I, like most, have been following your builds for a long time. I would also like to do the 8.1 swap one day as well but that's a while down the road. I do have a question regarding the auxiliary battery tray. I just picked one up from the local dealership and I know that I will have to move the evap canister. Is this something that you did or have you eliminated yours? Additionally, when you mounted the aux tray did you have to use nuts in the fender as I felt behind and didn't feel any nutserts(?). Thanks Larry. I love looking at your rides. Like many, the Polar Bear is what my "Big Ugly" wants to be when it grows up.

Whoops, sorry....I see I failed to answer one of your questions about fastening the battery tray to the inner fender. The battery tray should have nuts welded onto the brackets then you will find templates stamped into the inner fenders that will line up with those nuts. Just drill the templates and find the proper size bolt, which I want to say were 3/8's body bolts. At the fenders I just used bolts and nuts. A bolt and nut through the fender then placed the tray over that with another nut to hold the tray to the fender.

Read this entire thread tonight! Grew up around Suburbans and Chevy's in general, and pretty sure I remember your K5 in on of the 4wheeler magazines.

Anyways, just wanted to say you have some top notch chevy's.

Edit: We are practical neighbors, I'm just north in COS.

Hello neighbor! Thanks for dropping in. Yeah, the K10 was in Peterson's 4 Wheel & Off-Road last month (Jan 2015 issue).

Lookin good man.

I have to say I like the looks of the warn flares personally, I've been considering them.

It's weird, we have the same car-seat too. I keep telling my wife that old Chevy guys are cast from the same molds.

You know, I like the looks of the WARN flares better too. From certain angles the Xenon flares on the K10 look goofy. The biggest problem with the WARN flares is the fronts have a build in splash guard that sticks down a few inches on the rearward side of the wheel opening where the front tires will take bites out of them when turning and flexing the suspension. That is why I took them off of the K10 as it has a lot of front suspension flex and the tire kept knocking the front flares loose. The polar bear doesn't have a very soft and flexy front suspension so it doesn't rub too bad.

You're right, I think we are all cast of the same molds. :elkgrin:

Jkenosh

Observer
I enjoyed reading your thread so far I hope the new can and headers work well. But than you would want to tear into the blazer again

1stDeuce

Explorer
What does it mean "don't drive it enough to justify keeping it" ??? We're supposed to justify our vehicles?? Crap.... :)

Hi Larry, Todd here. I have a few questions on your ORD shackle flip, It looks like you used your factory springs, and decided to go with a 14 bolt with drum brakes. I'm looking at doing the same but going with the disk brake conversion for the drop in weight.
Do you have any other ideas, what would you do differently after doing this upgrade on yours, why the drum brakes and is it worth it going with new springs? Great project love seeing all the changes.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I enjoyed reading your thread so far I hope the new can and headers work well. But than you would want to tear into the blazer again

Yeah, we’ll see! I can’t wait to see how an 8.1L runs with a bumpier stick. My blue truck with the 8.1L is not a K5 Blazer. It is a K10 truck.

Larry, here you go:

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/4782918769.html

Factory 4 speed manual Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4

Nice! That one is less rare as most Burbs of that generation with manual transmissions were just like that one. A bare bones model with vinyl bench seats and rubber mat. Mine was a bit more rare in that it was a fully loaded Silverado with bucket seats. Still, a burb with a manual is still not something a person finds every day.

Hi Larry, Todd here. I have a few questions on your ORD shackle flip, It looks like you used your factory springs, and decided to go with a 14 bolt with drum brakes. I'm looking at doing the same but going with the disk brake conversion for the drop in weight.
Do you have any other ideas, what would you do differently after doing this upgrade on yours, why the drum brakes and is it worth it going with new springs? Great project love seeing all the changes.

Yes, I did reuse the factory springs mounted to the ORD shackle flip. Depending what your plans are factory springs with the ORD shackle flip is a great combo for a 4” gain in height. As far as rear drum vs. disk everybody has an opinion. My opinion there isn’t and aftermarket bolt on rear disk kit that is worth the time and money to install. The rear El Dorado/Tornato calipers most rear disk kits come with suck. Those calipers didn’t work worth the crap on the cars they came on back in the late 70’s and 80’s let alone to expect them to perform on a big ¾ ton truck or burb. I don't think most todays hobbiest that buy that crap to bolt on their 4x4 project were twisting wrenches on those cars with rear disks back in the day to remember what a POS those calipers were. There are other kits that use front calipers from the 73-87 trucks but those don’t have a provision for a park brake, which is not good for those of us running manual transmissions, and I feel having those calipers on each corner are extremely under powered to stop a big ¾ ton truck. The only disk brake swap I would ever consider would be swapping in a complete rear 10.5” or 11.5” AAM axle from a late model GM truck with factory rear disks and internal drum for the park brake and even at that the only way I would do that swap is if one of those axles fell in my lap for free. I am not a big believer of going out of my way to gain rear disks as there is nothing wrong with rear drums and even the heavy weight of the drums isn’t a big issue. On a big truck or Burb the extra unsprung weight helps keep the rig glued to the ground and less top heavy (especially when lifted) not to mention rear drums make the truck stop better too…for what I use trucks for, maybe not so much for someone running mud races in their 4x4. Also, it’s not like deleting the rear drum weight is going to gain you an extra MPG or anything. Have you looked at how much surface area there is on a 13 x 3.5 drum? That is a ton of surface area for brake shoes to contact to stop! There are reasons large class 8 semi’s still use drum brakes to this very day......to STOP! Yes, there are certain off-road rigs rear disks work best but a trail riding/tow rig heavy Burb isn’t one of them in my opinion. My opinion is the biggest gain in braking performance can be found in swapping from vacuum to hydroboost more than swapping from rear drum to rear disks... but that is just me. It is very unlikely you will ever see an entry in one of my threads where I swapped out rear drums for rear disks.

Merry Christmas all!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the heads up on the rear disk issue Larry. Is there a cheap way to add hydro assist to my old 79? What can I say, you are the voice of reason...:)

Yeah, we’ll see! I can’t wait to see how an 8.1L runs with a bumpier stick. My blue truck with the 8.1L is not a K5 Blazer. It is a K10 truck.

Nice! That one is less rare as most Burbs of that generation with manual transmissions were just like that one. A bare bones model with vinyl bench seats and rubber mat. Mine was a bit more rare in that it was a fully loaded Silverado with bucket seats. Still, a burb with a manual is still not something a person finds every day.

Yes, I did reuse the factory springs mounted to the ORD shackle flip. Depending what your plans are factory springs with the ORD shackle flip is a great combo for a 4” gain in height. As far as rear drum vs. disk everybody has an opinion. My opinion there isn’t and aftermarket bolt on rear disk kit that is worth the time and money to install. The rear El Dorado/Tornato calipers most rear disk kits come with suck. Those calipers didn’t work worth the crap on the cars they came on back in the late 70’s and 80’s let alone to expect them to perform on a big ¾ ton truck or burb. I don't think most todays hobbiest that buy that crap to bolt on their 4x4 project were twisting wrenches on those cars with rear disks back in the day to remember what a POS those calipers were. There are other kits that use front calipers from the 73-87 trucks but those don’t have a provision for a park brake, which is not good for those of us running manual transmissions, and I feel having those calipers on each corner are extremely under powered to stop a big ¾ ton truck. The only disk brake swap I would ever consider would be swapping in a complete rear 10.5” or 11.5” AAM axle from a late model GM truck with factory rear disks and internal drum for the park brake and even at that the only way I would do that swap is if one of those axles fell in my lap for free. I am not a big believer of going out of my way to gain rear disks as there is nothing wrong with rear drums and even the heavy weight of the drums isn’t a big issue. On a big truck or Burb the extra unsprung weight helps keep the rig glued to the ground and less top heavy (especially when lifted) not to mention rear drums make the truck stop better too…for what I use trucks for, maybe not so much for someone running mud races in their 4x4. Also, it’s not like deleting the rear drum weight is going to gain you an extra MPG or anything. Have you looked at how much surface area there is on a 13 x 3.5 drum? That is a ton of surface area for brake shoes to contact to stop! There are reasons large class 8 semi’s still use drum brakes to this very day......to STOP! Yes, there are certain off-road rigs rear disks work best but a trail riding/tow rig heavy Burb isn’t one of them in my opinion. My opinion is the biggest gain in braking performance can be found in swapping from vacuum to hydroboost more than swapping from rear drum to rear disks... but that is just me. It is very unlikely you will ever see an entry in one of my threads where I swapped out rear drums for rear disks.

Merry Christmas all!

I agree with Larry 100%. I have the caddy disk w/ parking brake, and am not impressed at all. I've been told I can install a adjustable proportioning valve that may help, or a new master cylinder from a new chevy with 4 wheel disk. I'm probably going to install hydroboost and see if that helps at all (i'm guessing it won't) and if not, then I'm going back to drums and selling the entire disk brake set up.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Here is another perspective; The disks on the front of my K5 have some of the worst calipers I've ever seen on a vehicle. They really need rebuilt almost every other year to keep the truck from pulling on way or another.

I now have rear drums that are I think about 13" and this ting stops really well considering. There is almost no maintenance either. No way would I put disks on the rear.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry

Finally relocated to Canon City. Someday I'd like to see your Suburban.

Jim

Cool! Canon is just 20 minutes up the highway from me. I live right off Hwy 50 on about the far West end of Pueblo that you can get. My buddy Rob is the service manager at the Chevy store up there and Canon is my wife’s home town. We have tons of family up there. We’ll have to hook up sometime.

Thanks for the heads up on the rear disk issue Larry. Is there a cheap way to add hydro assist to my old 79? What can I say, you are the voice of reason...:)

Hey Chili….yeah, hydroboost isn’t an expensive swap. Just find you an old square body truck with hydroboost and grab the booster/bracket and hoses as well as the brake pedal as the pivot pin location on the pedal is in a different spot vs. vacuum. You’d probably want to use new lines but you could reuse your existing power steering pump and just add a T where the return lines come together rather than buy a hydroboost specific pump with the dual return ports in the reservoir. The thread on my K10 shows the hydroboost swap pretty well. Adding hydroboost is a simple bolt for bolt swap. A while back I picked up a hydroboost unit and lines for my Burb for like $40 or so. I haven't installed it yet but will probably do that when the 8.1L goes in.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Larry

Finally relocated to Canon City. Someday I'd like to see your Suburban.

Jim

Jim- If you aren't busy on new years Day and your wheels are up for a run in the snow, a few of us are taking a run up to Westcliffe that day. Larry's not going to make it (BOO!) But it's a pretty good group to hit the trail with and if it goes anything like the last run it should be a full day's ride in the white stuff. Given the amount of tow calls we've got from Custer County in the last two day's that area has been hit with a good amount of snow recently. Hit me up via PM and I'll get you the details.

Rob

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Got the headers back from my powder coat buddy yesterday. They turned out great! I’m still about 4 to 6 weeks away from install as I still have a lot of install bits and pieces to collect. It is time consuming (and expensive) to collect everything as I use all new parts and pieces when I do swaps like this. The only parts that won't be new is the 2 year old Denso starter motor and the existing power steering pump that I will be reusing from the 5.7L.

16198011022_909276d0a8_c.jpg

16012735639_c13c937b95_c.jpg

The Howell Engine Development harness arrived a few weeks ago and I already spent a few hours reworking different ’89 Burb engine harness to prune away all of the TBI circuits. The old harness will run the starter, A/C, oil pressure, temp gauge while the new Howell harness will run only the engine exactly the same way I have the K10 setup. I chose to use an another Suburban engine harness as I didn’t want to chop my original Suburban harness up so I could keep it all together to sell with the TBI 5.7L once it comes out. A TBI 5.7L and harness would be great pieces to swap EFI into something older. Getting exciting!
15818341890_c0a42f9ae2_c.jpg

tanktop8

Larry, this thread has been great to read. I've gone through every page as of the last three days, it's very inspiring! You do great work and are super knowledgeable. I look forward to watching your progress!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, this thread has been great to read. I've gone through every page as of the last three days, it's very inspiring! You do great work and are super knowledgeable. I look forward to watching your progress!

Welcome to Expo Portal
sign24.gif

Wow! Thanks for the compliment. For someone’s first post here at Expo to my thread is an honor as there are many great builds and interesting threads going on around here in all the various topic areas.

Update:

Due to work going crazy lately and a death in the family the 8.1L swap has been pushed out a bit. Aiming for the engine swapperoo to take place in later in February or early March now. I also still need a few bits and pieces to acquire before I tear it down that I haven't had a chance to chase down. I replaced another rear pinion seal in her the other day and ran it to the car wash. I really need to put it back into daily driver duty as it has a full tank of fuel that needs to be burnt down for ease of dropping the fuel tank for the EP381 fuel pump change for when the 8.1L goes in. 30+ gallons of fuel is kind of a hassle to siphon out and store for a tank drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online