Project Alpha Bound II: Electric Boogaloo

ab1985

Explorer
I'm going through photos now and will start a separate thread with a trip report. After spending a few nights in the truck, I am happy to report there is not an ounce of buyer's remorse in my blood. :D There is a bit of adjusting I'll need to make things perfect. I drove through heavy snow and rain on the way home and got a few drops of water in through the top of the windshield directly above the driver seat. This has never happened, so I'm thinking we may have tweaked the windshield seal when we cranked down the top. We got rain the second night in Canyonlands, and I let the tent sit out in the driveway in the pouring rain all day yesterday. Both times I had just enough water intrusion to be concerned but not quite enough to be alarmed. It's in the same spot in the back where it appears water can accumulate inside the lip of the lower zipper cover then seep through. I think I can address issues relatively easily. More to come.

Getting shots of the interior is difficult, but here are a few. The bed slats are the base option from CampTeq and are surprisingly utilitarian. I'm not sure I won't go with cushions at some point, but these are fine for now. I have an LED touch light and a cargo net for the interior roof. The stock interior light doesn't illuminate the upstairs very well. When closed there is more than enough room for storing bedding up top, but I had to deflate the mattresses in order to fold them over for standing room. I think sliding them up into a cargo net will be a perfect compromise.

null_zpsc688612a.jpg

null_zps446f7c92.jpg

null_zpse440865c.jpg

null_zps3de0b643.jpg

null_zpsa000c74d.jpg

null_zpsdea86c25.jpg

null_zps538f1722.jpg

null_zps321aaa41.jpg

null_zps75b801cf.jpg

Last edited:

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Try to borrow a friend's GoPro to take interior photos. The wide angle is perfect and it does a good job of making it look cavernous :sombrero:

ab1985

Explorer
I've spent some time gathering my thoughts for a trip report but it might be easier to start with a slideshow/video. I'll be stitching these images together with some commentary as soon as I get things caught up at work. I'll post a link to the new thread at some point, but for now here's a preview.

The embedded video doesn't seem to be working. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFmNh6-BSGM

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
I would check their website for the most up to date pricing. I went with the base model then added tie down tracks and Hannibal awning mounts for the side and rear.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Great slideshow. Such beautiful country!
A slight fore/aft adjustment of the top position may be needed if you have any ingress. 3M 5200 is a nice product if the top is going to stay put for a while after it settels into its final position

Last edited:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I really like how you added the Hannibal to the rear, that must open up your living space quite a bit. It will be nice to have for having to cook in bad weather.

scramfan01

Adventurer
Awesome work. I just got back from Red River Gorge, and it was great to see the progress, and the trip pics. I would like to see it in person again. If you don't mind.

ab1985

Explorer
Great slideshow. Such beautiful country!
A slight fore/aft adjustment of the top position may be needed if you have any ingress. 3M 5200 is a nice product if the top is going to stay put for a while after it settels into its final position
The top is doing great. I think my issue is with the windshield, and I'm not overly concerned about that. I do need to think about the zipper at the bottom of the rear tent window, though. I wonder if some velcro to close up the lip and keep water from pooling up would work. The side windows don't have a problem because the water never touches the zipper (which is covered by the canvas flap). Just need to scratch my head about the rear for a bit, but it seems easily addressable.

ab1985

Explorer
I really like how you added the Hannibal to the rear, that must open up your living space quite a bit. It will be nice to have for having to cook in bad weather.
I am really digging the Hannibal awning. At my families age and stage we could sleep 4 inside if we wanted to, but I wouldn't want to ride out a daytime storm or be couped up for an extended period of time. Ultimately, I'd like to add another Hannibal awning to one side with walls and maybe even connect it to the rear. But that's a ways off.

Awesome work. I just got back from Red River Gorge, and it was great to see the progress, and the trip pics. I would like to see it in person again. If you don't mind.
I'm headed to the Gorge as soon as I can dig myself out at work. My daughter loves the new setup and has been talking about camping. As soon as we have a nice weekend and I'm home I'll be out working on it. Feel free to stop by and check it out!

ab1985

Explorer
What will the total weight of the Campteq be, with half roof removal?
I think I missed this question. The weight of the top is roughy 125 lbs without the awning and mounts. Between the sheet metal and sunroof glass we removed 25-30 lbs. The awning added a bit back, so I'd say net gain is somewhere between 100-115 lbs.

skrillah

Adventurer
I can't wait for the trip report! The first camping photo looks to be Airport, where I stayed a few weeks back! Looks like you had a great trip and the cruiser looks killer! You've inspired me to look for an 80 or 100 series! Keep us posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk