Project Bronco Trailer

hammer

Hi there, I'm at the point where I'm wanting some advise from those in the know so i figured I'd toss some pics on here and hopefully you can help me finish her off.

So first off here is my wheeler/tow rig. It was a 5 year build and I've been enjoying it over the past year and a half.

IMG_3007.jpg

About 10 years ago I was picking up some bronco parts at a guys place and he had this trailer that he had built by taking a bronco tub and two hard tops and welding them together.

3M83Le3N25Ic5P05Jecauc1472e41e2391e07.jpg

I thought it was super cool and had always planned on building something similar. Recently due to gas prices I sold my pickup and my new daily driver is an import station wagon. So my want for a trailer was transitioning more into a need. The trailer above was super cool but it was pretty small. I camp with my family using a starcraft tent trailer as well. My mind starting going as to how I could build a trailer to use as a dual purpose cargo/camp trailer. Something that the wife, kids and I could camp in so i could sell the tent trailer and not store both, as well as be able to do some real camping and not just provincial/state parks.

So here's where I started;

I wanted to use a '64-'66 ford pickup box. Its got the same bedsides and tailgate as an early bronco, its just wider. This gives me an 8 foot box and is way cheaper than using a bronco tub. Here is my concept;

TrailerConceptsplitwindow_zps625744b5.jpg

So i picked up a '66 mercury box and narrowed it 8 3/4 inches in order to fit a bronco tailgate and hardtop.

rps20121013_223943.jpg

rps20121013_223910.jpg

rps20121013_224043.jpg

rps20121020_170052.jpg

rps20121020_170119.jpg

Did some rust removal;

rps20121020_170020.jpg

rps20121020_165957.jpg

And then fitted the bronco tailgate;

rps20121020_165931.jpg

rps20121020_170138.jpg

Next came the tops, cut two in half and butted them together;

rps20121020_170153.jpg

rps20121020_170211.jpg

rps20121022_182625.jpg

rps20121022_182754.jpg

rps20121022_182850.jpg

After dragging it inside, I began to screw around with the ride height and what it was going to take frame and axle wise to get it all to work. Mock up;

rps20121116_160302.jpg

Frame built

rps20121201_211226.jpg

Axle mounted. Axle is a 3500 lb with a 4" rise. I shortened it to 60" and added brakes while converting it to match the bronco's 5x5.5" bolt pattern. Tires are 35's.

rps20121201_211250.jpg

So that's where I'm at. I have some more welding and rust issues to deal with while I have the box upside down in the garage. I'm working on sourcing a fresh water tank while the box is still off the frame. I'm having troubles finding something shallow enough. Anyways, you guys are the experts. I appreciate all guidance, suggestions and ideas along the way. That's why I'm here.

jkce72

Observer
That's going to be pretty cool. Keep us updated. Anymore info/pics or maybe a build tread on the Bronco.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Awesome... I've always wanted to do something like that with my full size bronco... Very nice execution on both the truck and trailer.

Don

-

Trailpsycho

Observer
Hey Hammer! Welcome to Expo! Saw a decent bit of your build on CB. Your Bronco turned out GREAT, by the way. Congrats! I have a 76 that I finished about 4.5 yrs ago; maybe you have seen it on CB (same handle as here). It feels great after you are finished, doesnt it.

I really like your trailer build as well. Having seen a few of the Bronco trailers...and as cool as they are, I agree that they are a bit too small for any real practical use. I think what you are doing will look great and be very functional. I had a spare tub at one point during my build, but it seemed wrong to turn it into a trailer. I had another Bronco-friend that had scored an M416 and then waffled, so I picked it up from him. Its was used for hauling Bronco parts during the build and I have since added a tailgate. Lots of plans for it, but not super-high on the priority list for now, maybe come spring.

I'd love to see some detail pics of how you addressed the joining and reinforcement of the hardtops. What do you plan to do with the tub? Color match the Bronco? Bedline the interior for durability? How are you handling the mounting of the franken-tub to the frame? I ask about that mounting, because that will probably impact your location of the fresh-water tank as much as anything. I would say, put it right over the axle and mount it as high as you can there. That will give you the best performance for the trailer. Your needs and budget will dictate dimensions and materials...but I would guess that if you have cross-rails fore and aft the water tank that you could fabricate a skid or barrier plate to protect a composite tank, which is likely the cheapest option for fresh water. I cant wait to see how this goes...may have to turn over the M416....

I have thought about ways to Bronco-fy the M416, but nothing "fits" the character of the trailer. If I keep the 416, I will probably build a mirror-style top like most people get bent up for the 416s.

Again, great work, so far! Keep it up and keep us posted.

John

hammer

It feels great after you are finished, doesnt it.

It sure does.:wings::wings::wings:

I'd love to see some detail pics of how you addressed the joining and reinforcement of the hardtops.

Haven't done that yet. In the pic the hard tops are just sitting there. Won't welded em up until I'm done with the bed and have it mounted on the frame for the last time. Will start by spot welding it all up. Then run a stock like brace along the inside of the weld across the inside. The sides will get a chunck of 1" square steel in between the side windows that will run from the bed rail to the drip rail on the inside. That should keep it sturdy. I don't plan to really have it on and off. It'll be to freaking heavy anyways.

Also kinda hoping another cheap hard top falls into my lap before I dive into that. That black top is pretty rough but it was free. I'd like to not use it.

What do you plan to do with the tub? Color match the Bronco? Bedline the interior for durability?

Tub still needs some more work. Bunch of welding on the underside for those two panels that I replaced. Then I need to replace a chunk of one of the braces underneath as its got a nice 3" rust hole in it. Some cutting and replacing of metal is needed at the front of each flare mount area. also the lip under where the tool box is on the front passenger side needs replacing as well. Thats all on the agenda for tomorrow. I'm off work and kid-less for 5 hours, need to make it count!!

It will be color matched to the bronco. Tossing around a couple ideas for paint on the hardtop;

! - Solid dark shadow metallic
2 - Dark shadow metallic up to the drip rail and then black above that
3 - Dark shadow metallic up to the drip rail and then parchment above that.

My truck runs a black soft top so I'm leaning toward option #2 with black flares. Not sure if i'm gonna line the inside. It'll get bed slide drawers with a sleeping area above so not sure its money well spent. I do love my Al's liner though, may still do it.

How are you handling the mounting of the franken-tub to the frame?

It'll be mounted through 6 spots using 2 3/4" x 3/4" poly bushings and bolted through with 7/16 x 4" bolts. That's already all done, mounts on the frame and bed.

I ask about that mounting, because that will probably impact your location of the fresh-water tank as much as anything. I would say, put it right over the axle and mount it as high as you can there. That will give you the best performance for the trailer. Your needs and budget will dictate dimensions and materials...but I would guess that if you have cross-rails fore and aft the water tank that you could fabricate a skid or barrier plate to protect a composite tank, which is likely the cheapest option for fresh water.

Yeah plan is to mount it just in-front of the rear axle, behind the middle cross brace there. Basically just need something the right size to fall into my lap. 35" long, 17" wide and 8" deep are my ideal dimensions that I'm hunting for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online