Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
thanks for being honest; my friend from australia who does some work with ARB says he will never need a front locker for the newer models because of their traction control. But he has no snow

The traction control was surely doing it's job and I was surprised just how well it did. Greg (200 owner) walked up to the top of the backside of Elephant Hill while we were manuevering my 100 through the first switchbacks. The snow/ice/dark combo was surely daunting and Greg came back and said "if we make it to the top it's going to be one of the more technical drives we've accomplished in these vehicles" I thought to my self oh boy, we are in for a long night. :D

nocensorbo

Observer
well, this thread had me realize a few things. A. I want/need a 100 Series. B. I dont like my first gen tundra as much anymore. C. I really am more broke than even i thought looking at that mod list.

cruiseroutfit

well, this thread had me realize a few things.
A. I want/need a 100 Series.

Good

B. I dont like my first gen tundra as much anymore.

OK

C. I really am more broke than even i thought looking at that mod list.

:D

Take it in phases. I did the marathon build because I need the truck done, I have limited shop time and we had the parts here BUT I fully recognize this doesn't make sense for most and perhaps you can tailor your build better to your uses by growing into it. Be it a Tundra or a 100 Series... go out and use it and decide what it really needs next to improve your trip experiences. Focus on things that will actually inspire more trips not require more days in the office to pay for them. Tundra's are great trucks but you really should take a burn in a 100 Series and see if it makes sense for you.

r3run33

Adventurer
lol hey was that pic of pushing the jeep brute just for fun??? I have to maybe explain my comment of being honest about the 200 series performing; I lived in Australia a few years back and made some wonderful friends and took some great trips! Now here in USA I still keep in touch with mates back there. One runs a LR4 (disco back down there), a range rover sport (yes its a long story) and a 200 GX model (low option one used by the mining companies). Now he had a 100 series fully locked by ARB etc and says the new 200 with just the Old Man Emu lift being the only mod he put on it does just as good as his old 100 series. Many of us don't have the money to spend on that mod so being able to use that money for the actual trip is a VERY big part. Being able to use a practically stock vehicle and spend money on gear, food, and gas is a big plus. Thanks for posting

r3run33

Adventurer
hey forgot to ask how were the chains on the front??? no trouble with the upper control arm?? are they the stock tires?

cruiseroutfit

lol hey was that pic of pushing the jeep brute just for fun???

Joking more than anything. Greg is a major Cruiserhead and we were having some good laughs about hanging with the Jeep, even though it is a super neat setup.

I have to maybe explain my comment of being honest about the 200 series performing; I lived in Australia a few years back and made some wonderful friends and took some great trips! Now here in USA I still keep in touch with mates back there. One runs a LR4 (disco back down there), a range rover sport (yes its a long story) and a 200 GX model (low option one used by the mining companies). Now he had a 100 series fully locked by ARB etc and says the new 200 with just the Old Man Emu lift being the only mod he put on it does just as good as his old 100 series. Many of us don't have the money to spend on that mod so being able to use that money for the actual trip is a VERY big part. Being able to use a practically stock vehicle and spend money on gear, food, and gas is a big plus. Thanks for posting

Totally get it and I stand by my thoughts, the 200 is a fantastic platform and needs minimal mods to be trail worthy. Greg plans to add bumpers and slider simply to protect the body from damage, perhaps more aggressive tires when the stockers wear out.

hey forgot to ask how were the chains on the front??? no trouble with the upper control arm?? are they the stock tires?

Yup, front only. They worked out great but did take a beating and a few clips broke. No clearance issues and thankfully no damage despite them spinning lose a couple times when the clips broke.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
I haven't read the whole build yet but I have similar ideas as far as mods and plans. Nothing extreme just really important mods for my needs. We have slightly different needs(wife vs no wife) but similar wants on a truck like this. This statement I'm copy and pasting caught my attention cause I posted about a HDJ 100 and I got the impression you didn't care for them. I think you just mean cost vs hassle in my situation. This build is sweet and not all extremed out or modded just to say ya I got (x) mod on my truck. I'm going to read this whole thing. I really like how you simplified making a build plan. I'm a planner myself. Have fun and be safe.

"While I would long for the economy and unique value of the diesel variant 100 Series available in foreign markets, the petrol motor offers better drive-ability and obvious parts availability here in the US"

texascrane

Adventurer
I haven't read the whole build yet but I have similar ideas as far as mods and plans. Nothing extreme just really important mods for my needs. We have slightly different needs(wife vs no wife) but similar wants on a truck like this. This statement I'm copy and pasting caught my attention cause I posted about a HDJ 100 and I got the impression you didn't care for them. I think you just mean cost vs hassle in my situation. This build is sweet and not all extremed out or modded just to say ya I got (x) mod on my truck. I'm going to read this whole thing. I really like how you simplified making a build plan. I'm a planner myself. Have fun and be safe.

"While I would long for the economy and unique value of the diesel variant 100 Series available in foreign markets, the petrol motor offers better drive-ability and obvious parts availability here in the US"

I think Kurt just meant that if you're going to go to the hassle of buying a land cruiser down in Panama, why bother buying something that you can easily get here in the US? If you're going outside the US and don't plan to register the vehicle in the US, you might as well get something that you can't buy here.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
That's what I was hoping and it wasn't an indictment on the machine itself but more on my thoughts. The last part of your statement holds true for me. Between benc and his homemade metal work and this you get the bet of both worlds, high end off the shelf and creative engineering. This build thread shows what proper planning and organization can do to help streamline the build. It's as critical as anything.

cruiseroutfit

Definitely not that I don't care of them, just that the additional cost/hassle of owning one in the US isn't worth it to me at this point. I've had a handful of different Land Cruiser diesels (still have my BJ74), they are fun, they are unique and they are quite drive-able. In the case of the 100 Series, the 2UZ is a rocking motor and powers the 100 quite nicely and upgrades (supercharger, headers, etc) are available. If I could have a US legal, fully loaded (leather, etc) HDJ100 for the same sub $10k that a similar UZJ100 is selling for... I'd be all over it.

cruiseroutfit

I think Kurt just meant that if you're going to go to the hassle of buying a land cruiser down in Panama, why bother buying something that you can easily get here in the US? If you're going outside the US and don't plan to register the vehicle in the US, you might as well get something that you can't buy here.

For sure!

cruiseroutfit

That's what I was hoping and it wasn't an indictment on the machine itself but more on my thoughts. The last part of your statement holds true for me. Between benc and his homemade metal work and this you get the bet of both worlds, high end off the shelf and creative engineering. This build thread shows what proper planning and organization can do to help streamline the build. It's as critical as anything.

Glad you've enjoyed the thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater