Project: Waltzing Matilda

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Like so many others on the forum, I have tried to live and explore our region out of the back of a wagon. With a growing family that has expressed a greater desire to explore with me, I found us needing a better solution. At first, I thought the solution was found in the form of a trailer.

Since 2002, I have bought and used a TentTrax, an Adventure Trailer Chaser and ultimately a Kimberly Kamper. Without going into specifics on each trailer platform, they were all eventually sold. I have come to the conclusion that I just don't enjoy towing a trailer off road. While towing the TentTrax over the Rubicon was cool and made my aging father feel more comfortable on the trail, I honestly felt like I spent more time looking in the side mirrors than forward. The feeling really hasn't disappeared with the other anchors in the field. I will say I do miss the KK the most due to it's design and features.

A few years ago these pictures made their way onto the Portal and I immediately fell in love with it. The seed was planted...

173756052_F7RQU-M-1.jpg

264188362_CvMJ5-M-1.jpg

Then all the cool kids I like to run around with did it..

First Ken.

Then Jack.

In the interim, I have owned a 100 series Cruiser, 96 Land Rover Disco 1. A well built 80 series, a 45 from Oz and lastly the Troopy. I feel I have pretty much nailed the Gucci rides (So keep the negative comments to yourself) and have always found myself wanting for a diesel again.

When I received an unsolicited offer from the gentleman that bought my HJ45 to purchase my Troopy, I figured now was the time to act. He is a great Cruiser Head with a great wife and the kind of guy I felt good with owning my two dream trucks.

One day I'll own another 45 pick up with a removable top. Who knows, my son is getting to the age of a father/son project (That will be built not bought) and while I always thought we would build him an AEV Brute for his first ride (Because clearly any kid would not posses the refinement, taste and maturity to truly appreciate a Japanese 45 series Cruiser) maybe we'll look towards a 45 for "Us." But I digress.

IMG_2596.jpg

Having owned two 7.3 Power Strokes and a couple of Cummins, I knew what I liked and what I didn't like about each one. The D-Max's were tempting, but the front end kept pushing me away. It wasn't until after I had made my deal that Jack (Locrwln) had educated me on the cool kit available for the D-Max front ends.

Ultimately, I decided that I wanted a 7.3 extended cab, short bed with a six speed. Four wheel drive of course. The Ford's enjoy an extensive after market support and the 7.3 liters had always treated me well. Everything is a compromise of some sort.

The search for a clean unmolested 7.3 was harder than I thought it was going to be. My desire to have a six speed made it even harder.

Enter BearCat Lodge. A cool Lodge in Oregon owned (JW) by a pretty cool couple. The Lodge caters to Adventure Motorcycling and the Owner rides a wicked KTM 990. His scoot fell out of the farkle tree and didn't miss a single farkle on the way down. He has a build thread on AVRider, under FASTCAT. JW can also rock the blues guitar pretty well.

It seems JW is a kindred soul with the way he ordered his F-250 new from the dealer. The 250 (Matilda, but more on that later) was ordered with the XLT package, however it was spec'd with a six speed and lever operated T-Case. Manual front hubs followed by a carpet delete option (Thick rubber mat) round out the truck. And it was 100% stock. No monster lift with 22's, no after market air filter etc. etc.

A deal was struck and monies were exchanged without knowing when I would be able to get to Oregon to pick it up. Without going into details, my free time is rare. I'm supposed to have two days off a week, however since January it has probably only happened five times. I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the facts.

Enter OverLand Journals' own Editor in Chief; Chris Collard. It seems Chris and JW are friends and were getting together for a little motorcycle riding. They were to meet in Alturas CA. to start their adventure together. JW knowing the rigors of my schedule offered to load up the katoom in the Ford and deliver it to Alturas for me.

The plan was set into motion. I would ride the KTM up to Alturas, have dinner with JW and Chris, load up the katoom and head back to Reno.

It went almost as planned... I rode to Gerlach, caught a ride from Gerlach NV to Alturas CA. with an old friend and met up with the guys in Alturas. We chose the most popular eatery in town; the Basque dinner house named The Brass Rail.

Those with a keen eye will immediately notice the Hammarhead Industries creation.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

And the mother of all KTM's

IMG_0811.jpg

Dinner and company was enjoyed and I parted ways early knowing I had a long drive in the desolate and beautiful NV desert.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Matilda Cont...

If you're still reading this your probably thinking, "You never bought a truck." Since we all know that threads without pics of the subject matter lack, here you go.

pic.
IMG_3446.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
That brings us to her name. "Waltzing Matilda." Maltida is slang in Australia for a bedroll or pack carried on one's back. Waltzing to glide, hike, move across. Since Matilda will be geting a Four Wheel Camper Hawk shell in the next two weeks, I thought the name was appropriate.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
The plan...

Phase One:
Baseline the fluids (DONE)
Send off oil sample to BlackStone Labs (DONE)
Change anti-freeze to the Anti Cavitation CAT type
Ford AIS filter system (Done)

Sell the spare set of tires and wheels (18's) DONE

Put the 16's on DONE

Prep the bed for the Hawk (DONE)
Tint the windows prior to picking up the Hawk

Pick up the Hawk FWC Shell (DONE)

I've had great luck with Line-X, or Rhino Liner along the rocker panels of my previous builds. This one will be no different.

100_0837.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

My plan is to build a capable all around explorer similar to Safari Gard's Hurricane Hunter, owned by pro surfer B. Conley
129_0403_14z2003_ford_f350_super_dutyfront_side_view.jpg

Last edited:

Stoney126

Adventurer
Since your doing a coolant change may I recommend a coolant filter, nasty bit of abrasive material that collects. Also reading your post which I liked BTW it seems you dont want to go aftermarket for an airbox. Have you looked at 6637 mod or fords replacement airbox(forget the name/acronym) Which filter way better then our stock air boxes. From what I have read the stock air boxes are junk And let dust and dirt by due to poor fitment.

Look forward to seeing your build. that black SD is awesome

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Phase II
(Eventually)

Armor:

Front winch bumper. I will Probably go with an ARB bar, but it's early and time will tell. Safari Gard went out of business again, so that's not an option. I have owned Ruenel's and my father has front and rear road Armor's on his '10 Tundra. I want something closer to the truck that wont kill my approach angle.

Winch will be a Warn product, probably M12.

Rear is undecided. I'd like to go with a custom rear swing out that will carry a spare and a few other surprises. I don't know if the base bumper will be a Ruenel, Buck Stop etc. or something custom. I have time to think about it.

A T-Case skid plate of some design.

Suspension:

I will probably add a leveling kit to fit 255/85R16's (This has been done. A friend with a sharp eye pointed out the fact that it already has a leveling kit on the front) I have a new set of BFG KM2's in the garage waiting. I'll run this until I decide how to tackle the atrocious ride (Remember the "Every things a compromise"). I've been on the phone all week with different shock manufacturers trying to figure out the biggest remote resi shock I can run.

The census seems to be "Run a 2.5" single because the benefit a 3" would provide would be negligible for the price difference." I still may go 3" up front, but we will see.

I would love to convert it to a coil, but I don't think I want to go to a 4.5" lift. The other option might be to source front end components from an 05 and later truck. I'm still researching this.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Since your doing a coolant change may I recommend a coolant filter, nasty bit of abrasive material that collects. Also reading your post which I liked BTW it seems you dont want to go aftermarket for an airbox. Have you looked at 6637 mod or fords replacement airbox(forget the name/acronym) Which filter way better then our stock air boxes. From what I have read the stock air boxes are junk And let dust and dirt by due to poor fitment.

Look forward to seeing your build. that black SD is awesome

A coolant filter. I like the sound of that, I'll look into it. Do you have one you recommend?

And yes, thank you for reminding me. The Ford AIS was supposed to be during Phase 1. That's a great filter system. Jack has one on his 7.3.

1-1.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
The AIS is definitely the filter for our kind of use, that is what it was built for. It will allow more air or as much as most "performance" filters and filters the air much, much better than most.

Looking forward to the build and final result. And more importantly, a trip to try everything out. :wings:

Here is a great coolant filter for you.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8

See you on Friday for the wrenching session.

Jack

BCHauler

Adventurer
Great to see another super duty. Looking forward to following your progress. I too have a white F250, and have been thinking of Rhino lining the lower body portion, probably in flat black or charcoal. If that is your plan then I'll watch with interest.

Do you happen to know what size tires that Safari Gard truck is running? They look to be the perfect size imho.

Never mind, google search said they're 37's and the truck is lifted.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Yes your right, it's sporting 37"s. I don't think I want to go that high, but the Hurricane Hunter really looks good with them. I had them on my Unlimited and I really dug them. It was the perfect sized tire for how I used it.

100_0590.jpg

ddog45

Adventurer
Why do you have to do this to me? Our progression of rigs has followed a very simular path and now this. Once again you put me in a bad spot.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
It probably doesn't help, but everybody I know that has made the switch has loved it. Hopefully we'll still be able to wheel it through places like Paris, London...Moab.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

Suspension:

I will probably add a leveling kit to fit 255/85R16's. I have a new set of BFG KM2's in the garage waiting. I'll run this until I decide how to tackle the atrocious ride (Remember the "Every things a compromise"). I've been on the phone all week with different shock manufacturers trying to figure out the biggest remote resi shock I can run.

The census seems to be "Run a 2.5" single because the benefit a 3" would provide would be negligible for the price difference." I still may go 3" up front, but we will see.

snip...

Not that the new shocks won't help a lot, but I would guess that much of the atrocious ride comes from the leaf springs & spring rate, and being spoiled by the Gucci ride Hundy. On my much older and firmer riding F350, I found that adding lots of weight to the front of my truck (Reunel bumper, no winch) was a big improvement. If the rear is firmer than the front (true with most HD trucks) I think the camper and other mods (weight) will eventually help settle that end of the suspension as well.

Like you said and we all know, compromises. Want load capacity and GVWR, it usually comes with a firmer ride. Coils are nice for sure, at least in front, but there's nothing like having a simple old school truck with leaf springs all around; anti-sway bars are optional.

Looking forward to the long-term build.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
As I recall, your not running sway bars on Pull Dog, did you ever run them? I'm pretty sure they're on a shelf with a ton of other parts aren't they?

And it will be a LONG term build for sure. My days of enjoying a "30" day build are long gone. Slow and steady will be the mantra for this one. More like slow...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven