Project: Waltzing Matilda

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
A big thanks to Jack. Not only did he have the instructions from his FWC so that we knew where to mount the camper eye bolts, he identified that the truck already has a front leveling kit on it.

Score...

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Not to mention, someone will need to change their signature from "soon to be FWC" to "That's right, I'm sporting a FWC now." The FWC was picked up today and Jereme is heading back to Reno now. The pic looked great, can't wait to see it in person.

Jack

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
As I recall, your not running sway bars on Pull Dog, did you ever run them? I'm pretty sure they're on a shelf with a ton of other parts aren't they?
snip...

Correct. I did run them when the truck was new, but they hang down a bit and were rock anchors, particularly on the rear axle. Back when I was rockin' the BIG F350 and other full size trucks in Moab I wanted as much flex/articulation as I could get so off they came and have never been put back on.

I can see a possible need for them if I was to add a large cab-over camper to reduce body roll, though I always thought that if I added something light like a Four Wheel Camper that I still wouldn't want or need them. But I have yet to own a pop-up camper so I don't know if I would or would not want the bars on.

Does your T444E-equipped F250 have anti-sway bars on it?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Not to mention, someone will need to change their signature from "soon to be FWC" to "That's right, I'm sporting a FWC now." The FWC was picked up today and Jereme is heading back to Reno now. The pic looked great, can't wait to see it in person.

Jack

The sig has been changed...

I wasn't planning on picking it up for another two weeks, but a last minute change in plans prevented that. I would not have been able to get down to Vegas for another four weeks to pick this up. While the seller had been really patient up to this point with me, I didn't want to ask for an "Extension."

So, Jack and I installed the anchor eyebolts friday morning and by friday afternoon I was on my way to Vegas to pick it up. Saturday I was back in Reno with the Hawk. It was a super quick solo trip to do the Hawk "Snatch and Grab."

Regretfully, I didn't take too many pics on the way down, nor did I take a single pic on the way back.

The Hawk is a 2001 shell model. It's a few (3-4") inches taller to accomodate the Ford cab height. I feel like I really lucked out scoring this for my cab configuration. FWC's don't show up on the used marked very often and when they do it's usually not the right configuration you need.

This model was built with few options; The extended cab over bed, extended bed with slide out, a 12 volt accessory plug, rear flood lights and one of my favorites, a rear screen door. I'm pretty excited about this thing. It's perfect.

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Just the front, no camper package so no rear sway bar.

Speaking of which, did the camper sag the rear down any? Mine dropped the chevy down about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Jack

Correct, front only. The Hawk did lower the rear a bit. I don't know how much because in my haste to get down there I never thought of measuring it. I measured it today and from the ground to center of front wheel arch is 39" and the rear is 39.5".

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I got a few hours to mess around the set up tonight after work. The truck rides nice with the Hawk on it. I went out to the head of a popular rock crawling trail outside of town and put her through her paces. Soft sand, washes, some big whoops that were taken slowly in first gear and a nice steep 4 low uphill ascent followed by the same controlled descent.

That "Shark fin" vent cover will be going the way of the DoDo bird very soon.

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What is not to like about that engine/trans, wheelbase, cab, bed length AND a Four Wheel Camper?

Looks great :elkgrin:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
What is not to like about that engine/trans, wheelbase, cab, bed length AND a Four Wheel Camper?

Looks great :elkgrin:

I agree.

You need to pick up one of the sets of stock SD rims I have so that you can mount the 255's on those and keep that set of tires/rims ready to go.

How are you liking the 6spd offroad?

Great pics.

Jack

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
The 6 speed... At first I thought I made an error purchasing the manual. However, the more I drive it, the more I like it. I do think it has the potential to be a pain on a real technical trail.

It was awesome when I was testing it the other day. I descended a pretty steep section of the trail in first gear with the t-case in low. The thing just slowly crawled down the hill. It brought back memories of the Atlas t-case in my Unlimited. Just slow and controlled.

I'd say it's definitely growing on me more and more. Now if I could only find a lighter clutch.

I was thinking about mounting those 255's on the set of Weld's that I have that nobody will buy. Who would have thought the day would come when nobody is willing to pay $150.00 for a set of Weld's with center caps? I do like the idea of stock wheels better though.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Thanks Scott, it makes me glad to hear those thoughts. I tried to find the most simple 7.3 liter I could. I think I accomplished that with the manual tranny and the lever operated transfer case.

Hopefully this one will be around for awhile.

450 DUDE

Adventurer
May I say OYE! and good on ya.

Congrats on the new bit of kit , looks like one hell of a package.
Looking forward to your updates, and a trip... hint hint....

ken

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven