Propane camp ovens

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Atticus_1354 said:
I can't wait. I will have to dig a fire pit in the backyard and start cooking dinner outside. At least if I mess it up at home I will have a pantry full of backup food.
I highly recomend this approach. In particular if you plan on cooking for a group. It's one thing when you have to eat an Swanson Dinner because your chicken fricassee came out tasting like tennis shoe but quite another when a group is waiting for dinner.

Joanne

Adventurer
rusty_tlc said:
Anybody have first hand experience with one of the portable propane camp ovens?

Camp Chef

Rusty,

A good friend of mine has one in her teardrop trailer and she really likes it. Her and her husband live in their trailer for months at a time so she uses it a lot. I would have to agree with the comment that the burners are a bit under powered, but not badly so.

I have this stove and it puts out a lot of heat! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4809684

Joanne

greekspeedoman

I am the jpodbuild.wordpress.com

I noticed that Corey posted a link to my site jpodbuild.wordpress.com. I purchased the Camp Chef Outdoor oven.

Rusty was curious how it holds its temp. I baked cinnamon rolls in 21 degree weather. It took longer than if the oven were drawing a warmer air source but I still had them done in about 16 min.

The only variant I have found with the camp chef is that the maximum temp. depends (somewhat) on the outside air temp. Other than that, I think this oven simply rocks.

One modification I made to the oven that has helped the max temp. is to run some food safe high temp caulking on either side of the door to help the door keep a tighter seal (a very thin bead).

I bought mine "Site to Store" through Walmart. They had the best price in Washington.

So for what it is worth....

If you'd like to see more about my off road trailer project or my oven, just visit my site.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
greekspeedoman said:
I noticed that Corey posted a link to my site jpodbuild.wordpress.com. I purchased the Camp Chef Outdoor oven.

Rusty was curious how it holds its temp. I baked cinnamon rolls in 21 degree weather. It took longer than if the oven were drawing a warmer air source but I still had them done in about 16 min.

The only variant I have found with the camp chef is that the maximum temp. depends (somewhat) on the outside air temp. Other than that, I think this oven simply rocks.

One modification I made to the oven that has helped the max temp. is to run some food safe high temp caulking on either side of the door to help the door keep a tighter seal (a very thin bead).

I bought mine "Site to Store" through Walmart. They had the best price in Washington.

So for what it is worth....

If you'd like to see more about my off road trailer project or my oven, just visit my site.
Thanks for the feedback. The oven is #1 on my Christmas list. I love braised meat dishes and with the fire restrictions we have in these parts a Dutch Oven isn't a practical option for camp cooking.

Any idea how much fuel the ovens uses per hour? I have the adaptor hose to use a 5# or 20# tank but it would be good to know how long it will run on a 1# cylinder.

greekspeedoman

Fuel consumption

I have used 6# tanks with this stove (because I already have them). It depends on how much cooking you'll be doing of course. But I have baked cookies, cinnamon rolls, made a batch of pancakes (on a cast iron griddle), & boiled water for 5 meals on one tank. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised with how efficient it is (especially after I put the caulking on the sides of the door).

I have been careful with my food preparation so that I am really ready to go when I turn the oven or stove top on. Another nice surprise is that there appears to be no lag when running both the oven and both burners at the same time. Obviously, there is more fuel used but operations don't bog down on the big draws from the tank.

I hope that is helpful. I am happy to answer more questions as they come up.

I hope you have a very merry christmas!

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Good to know the regulator has enough flow to let you use the oven and burners at the same time. That was another question I had.

We have considered cooking a Capon in Death Valley for Christmas this year. If Santa comes early we may do Thanksgiving instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3