Propex Adjustable Cycle Rate Differential Thermostat?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Looking for ideas on a 12v thermostat for a propex HS2000 that would allow for setting cut in and cut out temps. Since my camper isn't a vault it would be nice to have the heater kick on, add 10 degrees, kick off, allow to cool 10 degrees, and kick back on rather than kicking on and off with every degree swing.

Googling around it looks like this is called a Adjustable Cycle Rate Differential Thermostat. Anyone know of a 12v one?

Last edited:

WanderingBison

The Heatmiser Slimline N I’m using can do that. I don’t have it running with a Propex heater (I’m using it with my Espar Hydronic heater) but it can do differentials, schedules and has a “freeze proof” and a regular living mode.

I think it will work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Generic W1209 DC 12V -50 to +110 Temperature Control Switch Thermostat Thermometer
Looks like this might work

jwiereng

Frequent short cycling makes me think that the heat source is supplying more heat than needed. Is it possible to reduce the output on the propex to match the load, and let it run steady?

Stitebunny

Adventurer
I think there is a mod you can do that affects this. If I remember correctly you solder in a different resistor to the control. Might be worth doing some googling on it.

edit;
Never mind, different mod.

Does your heater not have a control dial or other means for temp setting?
My hs2800 seems to act as you want yours too. Just as I start to feel cool with the heater off, it comes on again. Not sure of the temperature swing though.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The temp swing is small before it kicks back on. I haven't measured it but I know it's not what I'm after as I would prefer a pretty large swing at night.

The irritating thing for me is when the heater will kick on, heat to the temp, heat turns off but fan cycle/cooldown runs, a few minutes pass and then the process starts all over again. I would prefer to run it up to a bit higher temp and then allow to cool significantly (10+ degrees) before kicking back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle