Pros/Cons 20030 QX4

01silvapathy

Observer
How good are the struts for ride and durability? Why didn't Nissan go with double wishbones?

The struts are pretty awesome in terms of ride quality, id have to say for a lifted suv on 33in tires it still rides very smooth (with the exception of the topping out). That being said I am comparing this to other lifted rigs like jeeps and fj's and trucks. When I did my lift at around 85k the front struts and springs in the back were OE and never been replaced, so I was riding on bumpstops prettymuch, so thats part of the reason why I got the lift....only a little more money over stock replacement parts. The KYB GR-2 Struts are awesome, and the coils are stiffer than stock, but I feel the truck handles better lifted than it ever did stock.

In terms of the nissan engineers choosing to go with a strut design, I believe it was just the timing. People were looking for a more luxurious suv with a better ride that could still handle off roading. So they built a unibody with a strong motor, car like suspension, and all the luxury you could want. Hell I have heated leather seats, memory seats for 2 drivers, heated mirrors, a decent stock radio/speaker system, a strong motor, leather, everything except navigation.

My advise if buying a R50 used is the following
-Make sure its a VQ35- 3.5l it has the power I feel the truck needs compared to the VG33
- If its older chances are that it will need some suspension work, unless the previous owner already had them replaced
- Check the radio- the Bose 6 disc notoriously jams and its expensive to fix. Mine broke back in 2004 and I still get a clicking for 30 seconds after every startup
- Dont buy this to haul things- Load rating is 5000lbs with the 3.5l/ Auto trans. It can haul smaller loads just fine but I wouldnt use it to tow a boat every weekend. The brakes are also a wee bit sketchy with heavier loads
- Consider what you are getting- A strong vehicle with few problems that handles well. Sure its not a bare bones jeep that can conquer moab, but it has alot a jeep doesnt. Its great for a family that just needs to get around town and then go out on some mild trails and go camping for a weekend, where its just as at home.

Probably more, but I cant think of them off the top of my head Rickb may have some more to add:ylsmoke:

Rick B

My addition to that? Ditto!!!

Our rigs are almost identical from the factory except for color. My only difference in modifications is tire size (which I wish I had thought harder about 3 years ago and at least gotten 32's!) and the fact I replaced my the OE stereo with an aftermarket head unit ($99 fix 4 years ago was worth it to get a decent CD/MP3 player that was satellite radio ready).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad