Quality Propane Tanks for Overlanding?

direwolf82

Complete balderdash and poppycock, ridonculous fear-mongering if you are in the U.S. and really do know your stuff you should be ashamed.

It's been decades now since all consumer tanks require both OPD-compliant and overfill valves be used. On most bottles the OPD service fitting is

Type 1 QCC 1-5/16" ACME/FPOL

found on every BBQ tank in the country.

These **force** the limiting you're talking about.

No sane propane seller would ever consent to fill a tank so old it's not so equipped, nor allow say an industrial forklift tank filler port to be retrofitted for vapour service with a POL-only fitting (no OPD), rather than full QCC1as required.

IOW what you're talking about has not been an issue for a very long time in the US.

The tank swap vendors underfill (by a LOT) below that mandated 80% point.

They are a complete ripoff, other than when you need a shiny new tank in exchange for your rusty old one about to legally expire

Actually no, I am correct. Look up code on filing propane cylinders before you go telling people dangerous things buddy.
I installed pressure and gas systems for a living. The 80 percent cushion is there mostly for thermal expansion, cold tank at 100 percent is going to vent when it gets warmer, do you want propane venting around your grill when it's going? Do you want it to vent inside your car?
So when they fill your propane tank they just hook it up and let it go till it stops or just starts venting to the atmosphere or does the guy weigh the tank and when it gets to a certain weight he stops it?
You sir are a danger to people when your so smart and know more than someone who installs this stuff for a living but your actually wrong and in a possibly dangerous way.
All those low pressure tanks came with bust disks, still do. I'm looking at a new opd tank with a burst disk. If you know what that means then you know what that means. If you need to question that then you clearly don't know what your talking about.
Which by the way you clearly don't know what your talking about, says the guy with 20 years experience in the field installing and using these systems.
And by the way, you realize that your confirming what I said about the tanks being underfilled with the whole limiting valves and stuff used in smaller tanks right? You said it yourself, those force the limiting that is code required and insurance required.
You are going to get someone hurt, explosive and flammable gas is nothing to pay with when you don't know and don't understand it.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach