Question about shock perch/mounts

stonnie

I have a 2004 extended cab, 4wd, Silverado. I am trying to decided whether to keep this truck to use as a learning platform or just go ahead and make the investment and buy a new truck that is exactly what I like. I have been able to use the search function to answer all but one question I have about starting a build. That question is what to do about the low hanging mounting brackets for the rear shocks? I just don't understand why the shocks are situated right ********** dab in the middle between the differential and the hub. It seems like they are there just to get hung up on stuff.

I would like to know, from more experienced forum members, their opininon on whether or not the low hanging shocks cause as much trouble as it seems like they might and if so, are there any good options for moving the mounting brackets to a more acceptable position.

thanks,

stonnie

chasespeed

Explorer
Can/will they get hung up? Yeah, sure. Often? depends....

Can you move the mounts up? Yep, sure. Are you willing to cut holes in the bed? by moving the mounts UP to clear obstacles, you reduce will have to get a shorter shock, which, will reduce travel....

I have had more issues with things in the middle of the vehicle, than I ever did with the odd low hanging bracket... the meatball(diff) will get hung up before the shock mounts. transfer case, etc etc.

Basically, I wouldnt worry about, and spend the time/money elsewhere. If you dont do your own fab work, a winch would probably be cheaper than buying new shocks, relocating them, and cutting holes in the bed.... and the winch would be more effective for other things even if it DOES cost more...

Chase

Patman

Explorer
There are many ways to keep reasonably long shocks under the truck especially on a street biased rig. Get into long travel desert setups and it gets more complicated (i.e.expensive) but still doable.

Run the stock setup and if you get hung up, look at relocating them. If you need a longer shock at that point, cutting holes in the bed is usually the easist option, but not the only one.

stonnie

I understand that the low mounts aren't necessarily going to give me a lot of trouble from a totally practical point of view, but from a theoretical view, I have a hard time understanding why they are designed that way on certain axles and not others. I have looked at numerous undercarriages lately, and certain Ford and Chevrolets have much lower mounts than other trucks. I like the clean look of the Tundra, Tacoma, newer F150's etc.....

I have an 89 Bronco on 35's, with an ARB locker in the rear and a 12000lb Warn winch, so I'm not completely new to the scene. I look at all these builds and it seems like everyone goes beyond what is completely necessary in order to get as close to an ideal rig as possible. That's why I'm so hung up on these dang low shock mounts; they just look like they should not be in that particular location or they should at least be shorter.

Maybe I'm just being hyper critical.

stonnie

https://www.me.com/gallery/#100094/_8217556

This is a pick of my Bronco when I first got it. Maybe I will start a thread on my progress with it. I have since had it stripped, painted, all the trim replaced, crate motor, and I am fixing to switch over to BFG KM2's from my current Mickey Thompson Bajas.

The Silverado, I was wanting to put some 255/85's on and lower the gears to 4.56 with an engine tune from Nelson.

Last edited:

Patman

Explorer
Most engineers are not wheelers, vehicles are engineered for ride and handling, and low production cost. If something does not hang down lower than the rest of the drivetrain its fine in the average automotive engineers mind.

stonnie

web.jpg

Sorry but I messed up posting this in the post above.

Last edited:

SteveG

Adventurer
Maybe I'm just being hyper critical.

I think that sums it up! Run it until you have a problem then adjust from there. There are all kinds of prerun/chase trucks running this type of mount without major issues. The ideal set up is to move the shock above the axle and as close to the tire as possible. This typically puts the shock into the bed and requires a lot of obtrusive tube work.

It's a compromise. Would you rather tag a rock with a shock mount every once in a while or lose cargo space?

OE mounts come this way because it works. Stock trucks are built for the masses and aren't intended for serious off-roading... especially modern trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77