Question on Trooper OME Lift

Pritch

I am about to install the Old Man Emu 1.5" lift for a '00 Trooper, and was wondering if there are any additional modifications to make after the install. Thanks.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Take a look at the mods Scott did on the Expeditions West Trooper -- poly bump stops, ball joint flip, shock spacer. None are required, but while you're there ... .

bootzilla

Adventurer
Ditto what Bill said - although if you do the spring spacers, you'll have to crank the front torsion bars further - even with the OME's by itself, you'll have to crank the front torsion bars to level it out (I think it is four turns per inch?).

You'll probably want to do an alignment afterwards, too - don't want to toast the tires and have to buy new ones until it is time.

Oh - post a pic so we can all admire the lift. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the OME stuff - I'll be doing the same lift sometime in the future (hopefully sooner than later).
:truck:

Cool - sushi!: :12_4_18:

AKTrooper

Observer
OME suspension

I had OME shocks and springs installed on my 1998 Trooper with outstanding results. I also cranked the torsion bars to level the chassis and had the front end realigned afterwards. Been a good move all around but check out my entries in this forum to see some pictures and get my long version take on the OME upgrade.

Pritch

Hey guys. Thanks for the info. The lift is on the way, and I hope I can get it put on soon. The stock suspension is completely worn out.

On a side note, I have a '00, and I'm having trouble getting it started, especially once the engine warms up. It used to start fine in the morning when the motor was cold, and then just gave me trouble starting after it was warm, but now it has trouble all the time. But its still harder to start when the motor is warm for some reason. Although once its started, it runs fine. Any ideas on what might be causing the problems starting? Fuel issue maybe? Thanks.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Ask your question on 4x4wire. There are some pretty good mechanical heads there. I can't even offer an intelligent guess.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Pritch said:
Hey guys. Thanks for the info. The lift is on the way, and I hope I can get it put on soon. The stock suspension is completely worn out.

On a side note, I have a '00, and I'm having trouble getting it started, especially once the engine warms up. It used to start fine in the morning when the motor was cold, and then just gave me trouble starting after it was warm, but now it has trouble all the time. But its still harder to start when the motor is warm for some reason. Although once its started, it runs fine. Any ideas on what might be causing the problems starting? Fuel issue maybe? Thanks.
It doesn't sound like a fuel issue from what you are stating. I would check your plugs first, take one out and smell it, and it'll confirm your fuel issue. Have you checked your timing and/or spark?

Pritch

I haven't checked the spark. Motor seems to run fine once I get it started. For some reason, it just won't start on the first or sometimes second try. On the first try, it actually turns over like it's going to start, but then it dies. Kinda like the motor thinks there's fuel there, but there isn't. The guy at the parts store (I tried some BG 44K Fuel Treatment) mentioned vapor lock as a possibility. But I don't know what causes that..

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Vapor lock is caused by excessive fuel in the combustion chamber. Since, these are gasoline engines, there's not enough compression to ignite just fuel in the cylinders, which requires a spark. I would check your sparks. Does the engine "cough" when it is started?

Pritch

I'm not really sure. Sometimes it will start for about one second, then die, as if the fuel going to the motor gets cut off. Then I have to hold the key down for a few seconds to get it started again.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Have you posted this query over at planetisuzoo? Very technical savy group over there on all things Isuzu. They might be able to help.

zimm

Expedition Leader
try some of that redline or seafoam engine cleaner. alot of guys have reported good results on MUD with their landcruisers.

boydbe

98 Trooper lift and tire size ?

Scott,
Is the 1 1/2" front end lift and 2" rear end lift all that was needed to fit the 33" tires? Is there any rubbing? Where can the front bumper be found to purchase?

I am purchasing my brother-in-laws 99 trooper...is there any difference between it and your 98?
Thanks,
Bryan

datrupr

Expedition Leader
boydbe said:
Scott,
Is the 1 1/2" front end lift and 2" rear end lift all that was needed to fit the 33" tires? Is there any rubbing? Where can the front bumper be found to purchase?

I am purchasing my brother-in-laws 99 trooper...is there any difference between it and your 98?
Thanks,
Bryan
Though I am not Scott, I might be able to help with this some. To fit the 33's you should not need any lift at all. They should fit just fine with stock suspension with little to no rubbing. You can find the front bumper and lift from RockyRoad all for decent prices. I have not dealt with them yet, but I plan too in the near future. Also, there is no difference between a 98 and a 99 Trooper except you will find more TOD models in 99.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal