R50 Nissan Pathfinder vs. Gen3 Mitsubishi Montero vs. Gen3 Toyota 4Runner

96LTDrus

Observer
I'd say the 2nd gen Montero is a valid suggestion. I'd almost say that a 4th gen 4Runner would be a more apt comparison to the 3rd gen Montero, of course, the $5000 budget is more or less out the window at that point.

I think even finding a GOOD third gen Montero will be a challenge for $5000. What you will mostly see, even in the higher price echelons are the trucks that immediately need valve cover gaskets and cam plugs, have chattering torque converters, or have really rough interiors/exteriors. Bear in mind the higher mileage monteros may very well need control arm bushings, another expensive item from what I understand (separate bushings not offered by Mitsu?)

$5k will likewise probably buy you an older (96-98) 4Runner in okay/decent shape, or a 99-02 in rougher shape. The Toyota tax is in full effect unfortunately, and many people totaly neglect these trucks under the guise of "it's a Toyota, I never have to fix anything!!" When I bought my cosmetically and rust-wise immaculate '96 with 99k miles, I immediately had to replace worn shocks, warped front brakes, oil-soaked rear brake shoes and the axle seals from whence the oil came, t-belt, plugs+wires, fan clutch, muffler.

I think the earlier 96-ish unibody Pathfinders might be a good choice, the simpler VG33 engine is a bit of a slug but a rugged workhorse. Buying an older pathfinder that is rust free would leave you a nice cushion to catch up on maintenance. Or an older WD21 body, there are some rust-free diamonds in the rough to be found. Stupendously sturdy vehicles, I like them a lot.

I'd add Xterras and Troopers/Rodeos and Montero Sports to your list, they are all more budget friendly options IMO.

With whatever option you choose, I'd set aside about $1500-2000 in funds just to catch the vehicles up on preventative maintenance and any other fixes they may need. These were expensive and relatively complex vehicles with a lot of hardware when new, and all of that needs to be kept up on

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'd say the 2nd gen Montero is a valid suggestion. I'd almost say that a 4th gen 4Runner would be a more apt comparison to the 3rd gen Montero, of course, the $5000 budget is more or less out the window at that point.

I think even finding a GOOD third gen Montero will be a challenge for $5000. What you will mostly see, even in the higher price echelons are the trucks that immediately need valve cover gaskets and cam plugs, have chattering torque converters, or have really rough interiors/exteriors. Bear in mind the higher mileage monteros may very well need control arm bushings, another expensive item from what I understand (separate bushings not offered by Mitsu?)

$5k will likewise probably buy you an older (96-98) 4Runner in okay/decent shape, or a 99-02 in rougher shape. The Toyota tax is in full effect unfortunately, and many people totaly neglect these trucks under the guise of "it's a Toyota, I never have to fix anything!!" When I bought my cosmetically and rust-wise immaculate '96 with 99k miles, I immediately had to replace worn shocks, warped front brakes, oil-soaked rear brake shoes and the axle seals from whence the oil came, t-belt, plugs+wires, fan clutch, muffler.

I think the earlier 96-ish unibody Pathfinders might be a good choice, the simpler VG33 engine is a bit of a slug but a rugged workhorse. Buying an older pathfinder that is rust free would leave you a nice cushion to catch up on maintenance. Or an older WD21 body, there are some rust-free diamonds in the rough to be found. Stupendously sturdy vehicles, I like them a lot.

I'd add Xterras and Troopers/Rodeos and Montero Sports to your list, they are all more budget friendly options IMO.

With whatever option you choose, I'd set aside about $1500-2000 in funds just to catch the vehicles up on preventative maintenance and any other fixes they may need. These were expensive and relatively complex vehicles with a lot of hardware when new, and all of that needs to be kept up on

Have you even owned a Montero??

96LTDrus

Observer
No but I speak from what I'd consider as an 'educated' buyer's perspective, I've looked at and driven 3 Montero Limiteds: an '02, an 03' and an '06. All had oil leaks causing the burning oil smell, the '02 and '06 had torque converter chatter, the '03 had some sort of other vibration. I'd love to finally find a decent one to try out, like I said, I'd buy it on the spot. From asking around here and reading some overseas used car reviews I heard about the control arm bushing wear, as well as issues with frozen camber bolts. Lots of people on mitsu forums seem to talk about wonky fuel and temperature gauges due to cold-solder issues. From looking around forums, rockauto, etc. I gathered that parts are harder to find, with fewer choices in the aftermarket, and more expensive than for the much more common 4Runner. Likewise, community and forum support is much more widespread here in the US for 4Runners/Tacomas than Monteros. Have I said something blatantly wrong?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
No but I speak from what I'd consider as an 'educated' buyer's perspective, I've looked at and driven 3 Montero Limiteds: an '02, an 03' and an '06. All had oil leaks causing the burning oil smell, the '02 and '06 had torque converter chatter, the '03 had some sort of other vibration. I'd love to finally find a decent one to try out, like I said, I'd buy it on the spot. From asking around here and reading some overseas used car reviews I heard about the control arm bushing wear, as well as issues with frozen camber bolts. Lots of people on mitsu forums seem to talk about wonky fuel and temperature gauges due to cold-solder issues. From looking around forums, rockauto, etc. I gathered that parts are harder to find, with fewer choices in the aftermarket, and more expensive than for the much more common 4Runner. Likewise, community and forum support is much more widespread here in the US for 4Runners/Tacomas than Monteros. Have I said something blatantly wrong?

A lot of the issues you mentioned are caused more by the location where the vehicle is being driven than manufacturer error/deficiency, think environmental factors.

BEG

Adventurer
From looking around forums, rockauto, etc. I gathered that parts are harder to find, with fewer choices in the aftermarket, and more expensive than for the much more common 4Runner. Likewise, community and forum support is much more widespread here in the US for 4Runners/Tacomas than Monteros.

I have to disagree with these statements. Mitsubishi parts are very common and I've never had an issue getting a hold of one. And if I can't find the Mitsubishi version, I can look up the same part number for a Mopar application. Chrysler/Mitsu/DSM parts were used over a wide number of platforms for many years. With regard to forum support, 4x4wire is a treasure trove of technical information and there's very little that hasn't already been covered there. Since the Montero/Pajero is a world vehicle, there's the benefit of forums from Australia, South Africa, the UK etc. that add to the knowledge-base. Monteros aren't as popular as Toyotas, nor do they have the aftermarket support, this much is true. For the most part, the Mitsubishi community in the US has had to "figure it out for themselves" but it's far from being an unsupported model.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
You can probably find a decent Montero Sport for $3k and low mileage minty one for $4k. Look for a 2000+ with the 3.5L. These are the best low cost 4wd out there in my opinion.

96LTDrus

Observer
I have to disagree with these statements. Mitsubishi parts are very common and I've never had an issue getting a hold of one. And if I can't find the Mitsubishi version, I can look up the same part number for a Mopar application. Chrysler/Mitsu/DSM parts were used over a wide number of platforms for many years. With regard to forum support, 4x4wire is a treasure trove of technical information and there's very little that hasn't already been covered there. Since the Montero/Pajero is a world vehicle, there's the benefit of forums from Australia, South Africa, the UK etc. that add to the knowledge-base. Monteros aren't as popular as Toyotas, nor do they have the aftermarket support, this much is true. For the most part, the Mitsubishi community in the US has had to "figure it out for themselves" but it's far from being an unsupported model.

Again, it's all relative. I can search the 4Runner forum for absolutely any issue I'm experiencing based on symptoms and I will undoubtedly find a write up, with photos, and links to part numbers or acceptable aftermarket substitutes. When I was researching Montero vibrations that I kept noticing on used trucks, it took searching Aussie forums to finally get an idea of what was going on. Likewise for the control arm bushings, for the 4Runner there are all sorts of discussions, even youtube videos. For the Monty I was lead down a rabbit hole to the aussie forums again, and used car reviews from Russia of all things, only to find out that seemingly the only option was an australian manufacturer of aftermarket bushings, that or new arms from Mitsubishi for $$$ or cheapo Dorman parts (avoid like the plague). Some people like the sleuthing, part of the fun I suppose. I guess I find it sort of interesting myself, but ultimately I prefer easy access to parts, directions, etc.

A lot of the issues you mentioned are caused more by the location where the vehicle is being driven than manufacturer error/deficiency, think environmental factors.

More so than environment I think it is previous owner neglect. That is hands down what has kept me from finding a good gen III so far. I don't know if it was the 0/0/0 financing deal or the tanking resale, but I find that sadly, most Monteros end up in buy here pay here lots or ekeing out a sad existence in the ghetto. There's a 01-02 Limited at the corner gas station near my house (I live near a pretty shady area) that's been sitting with a flat tire for months now :( I almost want to leave a note and offer them some low ball price and see if they bite.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Parts for mitsu are no more difficult to get or expensive over Toyota. Yes there's not a ton of aftermarket....but OEM is reasonable and good quality.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
I got a positively minty 20th Anniversary 3rd gen for wayyyyy closer to the $5k mark than you'd think.

Finding any old nice gen3 for $5k is a cakewalk.

Finding an equivalently nice gen3 or 4 4runner, not so much.

kbahus

Adventurer
I would say keep the 540, finding a clean 6-speed is near impossible. I had a black on tan 540 6-speed and miss it for daily driver duty. Modify your wife's rig, you already own it and it sounds like it would fit your needs.

DanF.

Adventurer
I would say keep the 540, finding a clean 6-speed is near impossible. I had a black on tan 540 6-speed and miss it for daily driver duty. Modify your wife's rig, you already own it and it sounds like it would fit your needs.

This is sort of what I wanted to do. (keep my car, modify hers)

The reason why I want to sell is that my 540i is at 196,xxx miles, and although currently mechanically great, it will soon need to have the timing chain guides replaced, which is a massive undertaking money-wise. I agree that it's hard to find a nice E39 540i, but I'm not really in a place (full-time student for another degree) to be able to drop $3-4K in parts/labor for everything. I bought the car a few years ago when I was working a great job ($$$) and it's been paid off and maintained well. I'm not working now, and would rather have a reliable DD. I'd love to keep the car and buy a $1500-$2000 4x4 beater, but I don't have that kind of cash laying around. I can also take the risk of driving the car for the next 3 years until I graduate, and then drop the $$$ into it.

To be fair, my wife is pretty cool about her rig, and let me choose her new tires (General Grabber AT2), and has also said that she'd let me put a small lift in it. At the end of the day, it's still her R50. I'd feel bad breaking something on it while out and about.

9nuHVlI.jpg

Last edited:

kbahus

Adventurer
Good looking car, have you priced out the repair with some reputable independent BMW shops that can tackle the job? I would expect to pay 3-4k at the dealer, not at an indy. I would guess it to be around $2000-$2500, I can look up the labor times if you want. If your BMW is truly mechanically great it makes no sense to sell it, buy another used vehicle that typically has no verifiable past history or service records, and baseline it. On the used market you probably are not going to get much selling the BMW as well. Save up for the BMW repair and go explore with the Pathfinder.

MrInternational

I was recently in the OP's shoes debating between those exact vehicles except for looking at the Infiniti QX4 as the were going for the same price as the Pathfinder's in my area. Montero's were not on the radar when I was looking but turned out to be a pleasant surprise. While I went a little over my original budget, I could not have been happier with my purchase. Over the past year, I have driven it from Los Angeles to Miami to Chicago where I currently reside. The only issue I had was replacing the starter. Everything else has been regular maintenance (oil and filter changes), new tires more appropriate for Chicago and some after market upgrades such as a new stereo and speakers and window tint.

I say get yourself an '03 or later Montero that comes with service records and you will be good to go. You can order a Haynes manual via Amazon or eBay for the Pajero for any issues you may encounter in the future. These are solidly built trucks that have traveled the world over. Plus, they are unique in that not every one and their mother has one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater