Ram 2500 vs Ford F250

ahaverka

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a truck to convert into an overland vehicle. I'm thinking of getting an 89-97 Dodge with a 5.9L Cummins or a 92-98 Ford Powerstroke with a 7.3L. Any opinion would be appreciated!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I personally would go with a Cummins powerd Dodge. But that is just because I want a reliable truck. Cheers, chilli... ?

Halligan

Adventurer
Just buy the absolutely cleanest one of either that fits your budget.

Then quickly close this thread... I can't wait for this.

I agree. When dealing with this vintage rig overall condition is more important than which engine is under the hood.

britome

I’m sure either will work. Glad you are going this route. 3/4 ton trucks can be great overlanders. Everyone thought I was crazy to turn my 2011 2500 Chevy with 6.0 into oberlanding vehicle. But it is paid for.

Then everyone is shocked by how it can perform. I did Imogene pass in CO over Labor Day. Many Drivers in smaller lifted vehicles were swearing and swearing. My stock suspension with fox shocks and BFG’s did great. Had a dented exhaust pipe tip from an exit angle.

The best vehicle is the one you have.
3c8c4cd74b3441a32cfadb1cc76d3bea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beef tits

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a truck to convert into an overland vehicle. I'm thinking of getting an 89-97 Dodge with a 5.9L Cummins or a 92-98 Ford Powerstroke with a 7.3L. Any opinion would be appreciated!

Having owned both... The Ford is a better truck. The Dodge has a slightly better motor, and that is about it. Either one can be a powerhouse if you modify it. The 7.3 innjection system can be finicky on high mileage models. They both have transmission issues (autos) but the Dodges trannies are way worse. Both have gobs of aftermarket support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3