Ram 5500 front locker?

The 2023 Ram 5500 4x4 has an AAM 10.5” front diff, AFAIK. The one in question has 4.89s; I believe it’s an AAM 12” rear and it was ordered with a LSD.
Is there a FRONT locker available? I know factory LSD is all there is for the rear.
TIA for your knowledge.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I have a DANA 60 front diff that I fitted an ARB air locker to.
It is an excellent product, but a locked front diff also has disadvantages, like it does not like to go around corners.
The DANA LSDs are simple and reliable and that is what my new build will get up front.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Peter, your suggestions aren’t that helpful. That’s a bit of an understatement.
Despite my advanced age, I do know how to use Google. And I of course searched prior to posting this.
I have been unable to find anything, but there is some knowledge available on this forum. A small amount of which I myself have contributed.
If there’s a locker for the front AAM 10.5”, it’s not an ARB. Perhaps there’s a LSD of some type, but my reservoir of vehicle trivia is finite.
Judging from the silence so far, any kind of traction adding diff for this particular application is unobtainium.

Peter, I have personal experience over the last 35 years with front lockers (ARBx2 on a BJ40 and 60, 1 Lockright on Dodge M37 and 1 Unimog U500) - 4 vehicles, and therefore lots of experience with their shortcomings. And I totally agree they have shortcomings and should be used for only 1-2 seconds at a time.
I figured you might already know that, but I guess not.

Kingsize24

9.25 is all. None of the Sterling nor 10.50 have a reverse rotation locker. You can get a rear 10.5 locker from an older power wagon. But the application is completely different.

Be honest here however, your 5500 really is likely fine without it. I can't imagine being anywhere with a 5500 that I'd need one. Standard 4x4 is fine. But... if you did need a locker. Your only real move would be Crane for a Dana 80 and an Auburn. But that would be so high of a price to pay for a locker that IMO its not worth it. Unless the application was extreme.

VP44

Hello. First post here. There isn’t much info on the AAM 10.5 front axle, which is what led me here. The waters further muddied by google showing results for rear 10.5 AAM. No confirmation on if those two have any interchangeability However one’s coming in for service at the shop so we’ll see if removing the dif cover shows any clues. Nevertheless, to the OP I’d get ahold of ARB as they were custom making lockers for the Magna axles these replaced.

The rear 10.5, 11.5 & 11.8 are evolutions of the “14 bolt” FF but are made w/o overhanging pinion support bearing. The 14 bolt began life as bango style axle in 1960s ? Which is what the new rear AAM 12” axle has reverted back to.

I’m sure Dodge would love to sell a Powerwagon H.O. with a 6 figure baseline. I don’t see how they do that without overhanging pinion support bearings. If I see it I’ll post a picture on here ASAP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179