Range Rover Evoque

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Has anyone read into the Range Rover Evoque?

I'm curious to see what the opinions of the vehicle are, and how our members feel about it! I'm currently working with the vehicle on its North American launch, and I've had one as my vehicle for the last month. I'm quite impressed with the quality so far.

car_photo_458497_25.jpg

Has anyone driven it yet?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
The only one here I know of who may have driven one is Pete Sweetser. He has one at Dimmit Motors in Florida and posted a bunch of photos on his facebook page. The fact that is says Range Rover, but nowhere on it says Land Rover should tell you what you need to know. Lots of technology, lots of capability for what it is, but this is a daily driver not a Moab machine.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
I hope to never see one of these new mall crawlers from the company formerly known as "Land" Rover. The name "Range" should also be removed as that also "evokes" mental images of high mountains, vast wild prairies, and rolling savannas. This "rover" only conjures images of Rodeo Drive and six lane asphalt jungles.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
The only one here I know of who may have driven one is Pete Sweetser. He has one at Dimmit Motors in Florida and posted a bunch of photos on his facebook page. The fact that is says Range Rover, but nowhere on it says Land Rover should tell you what you need to know. Lots of technology, lots of capability for what it is, but this is a daily driver not a Moab machine.

I'll be at Dimmitt LR in 2 weeks with 3 Evoques if you'd like to drive one.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Speaking as the prior owner of a 64 IIa and current owner of a well modded DI it doesn't appeal to me. I does fit with the current LR line up which is very luxury specific and some what "blingy". LR have paid attention to the upper market since they released the first Range Rover which makes good business as wealthier people will pay more for vehicles and buy more frequently. This model is getting further away from the core of the company but again that target has drifted further and further back for years. When the Range Rover Sport came out I saw them all over places like Atlanta driven by young, new money hipsters that saw it as a hip statement, this appears to be the same thing and will probably sell well but I doubt I'll ever see one at Uwharrie.

...psssttt...now don't tell everyone, but it's not exactly my cup of tea either ;)

I'm just curious enough to want a peek inside one though.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
When the Range Rover Sport came out I saw them all over places like Atlanta driven by young, new money hipsters that saw it as a hip statement, this appears to be the same thing and will probably sell well but I doubt I'll ever see one at Uwharrie.

I took my RRS to Pine Barrens when I had it. Granted it only went on one trail, wheeling with 19s is just plain silly.

I don't miss selling my RRS, much prefer my two discos, the RRS IMO is much smaller and more cramped. If you're a bigger guy the RRS isnt for you

SCRover

Adventurer
hope you do get to meet Scully. he's a top-notch dude!

as for the evoque - saw a red one near my office about two weeks ago. found it putrid in terms of looks. however, i did not like the RR when it came out all funky in '03. and most of us rover guys could not stomach the LR3 when it arrived in '05. i think, in both cases, most of us have come to appreciate both. i know we all thought the LR3 would be a turd on the trails, but it has impressed. not that i see the evoque doing the trail thing (i'm guessing it wouldn't even dawn on an evoque buyer to drive in the dirt), but it's techno attributes and on-road manners may be interesting (in a good way). at present, i'd say the only thing the evoque evokes (in an LR enthusiast) is a ****** expression.

as an aside, i've owned everything from a '61 SII 109 to a '93 D110 to a '95 LWB to a '97 D90 to a '98 D1 and an '04 DII. i've driven LR2s and LR3s and i've taken an RRS off road once. of the lot, IMHO, the most comfortable and easy to drive by far was the LWB (only drove the RRS for one day). maybe one day, i'll be saying the same about the evoque...

not.

Wander

Expedition Leader
Looking at the low. sloped roof line and what looks like wide pillars at the corners I'm think the Evoque has nasty blind spots and unfortunately will lack the wonderful airy cabin and great sight lines that LR have done better than others for so long. I haven't seen any MPG figures but with a 2.0 / 240 bhp mill I'm guessing this is posed to be the efficient model. Is that a Volvo sourced engine that is also used in other (now former) Ford products?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach