Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

R-Overland

Adventurer
funny you should ask I just got done installing the tach, Will give it a whirl tomorrow.
I didn't dare going on the interstate , yet. But so far it seems like the manual is lower geared than the automatic.

R-Overland

Adventurer
It was a bit tricky to get the Transfercase to shift AND get the key back AND have the reverse light come on, when I put the reverse gear in.
But I got it sorted

R-Overland

Adventurer
Here are some more photo's
IMG_20130113_145250_zps4f169efb.jpg

IMG_20130113_145241_zps83b8b812.jpg

IMG_20130113_151638_zps58a2a1c8.jpg

spikemd

Explorer
After a first drive I thought, I want my auto back... it's something getting used to , I guess. But in hindsight I would deffo prefer an automatic.

I commend your efforts but it sure looks like a ton of work for not much gain. An auto can be an advantage offroad not having to deal with the clutch and shifting.

Too bad the shifter couldnt come out of the console but again, I give you props for sailing in uncharted territory and trying something different.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Why not do some linkages to put the shifter in a good spot. Use some rod ends and bam your done.

sent using the crappy tapatalk

R-Overland

Adventurer
I commend your efforts but it sure looks like a ton of work for not much gain. An auto can be an advantage offroad not having to deal with the clutch and shifting.

Too bad the shifter couldnt come out of the console but again, I give you props for sailing in uncharted territory and trying something different.
You don't have to use the clutch much. The transmission is so low geared. It got a granny gear and then there is the transfercase low gear , too
With the transmission I have I can bolt on a 6.5L diesel with center mount turbo. The ZF24 would never be able to handle that kind of torque.

Last edited:

R-Overland

Adventurer
I could have done the linkage. But I wanted to drive it first sorting the problems I would have, before creating more.

Topher1044

Observer
Bring your disco and some change and we'll make it happen :)

I'm only up in GA. I've got an '01 D2, and I'm pretty sure I could get her down there. You're saying engine and parts are roughly $4k? That obviously would not include your time and labor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk