Rattlesnake Avoidance for Dogs

Holaday

Gonna be heading down to Southern Utah, Arizona area this fall for about a month. I have a 2 year old Labrador Retriever that I will be hiking and camping with. I'm a little worried about him having an encounter with a rattlesnake. I have seen some info around about rattlesnake avoidance training for dogs and was wondering what you folks who own dogs and overland in rattlesnake country do.

Thanks Blair

Gooseberry

Explorer
i did it with my dog and it's worth the piece of mind. Now with that said I would do your research on who you choose to do it and how they work with each dog.

shogun

Adventurer
There is a guy near here who offers such training. I dont have first-hand knowledge of the success.

My experience shows it is highly dependent on the particular dog. I had two Aussies and sometimes a couple rattlesnakes a year in the yard. One dog was a superb warning. He would bark a different bark, stay a good distance away and face the snake. The other thought it was a fun game and ran around without regard.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
My bird dogs are snake broke and they get the Red Rock rattlesnake vaccine. I also carry a pre-setup benadryl injection for each of them in a cigar tube in my hunting vest.

larryt

Observer
My bird dog gets yearly snake avoidance training. The training has worked and saved both of us from encounters each season. The dog jumps away and gets skittish from rattlers. Once you see your dog react in training, you will know it when he sees one in the wild. Well worth it if you live in snake country.

I also carry a junior Epinephrine pen for him and a full size for me. I would only stick him if his airway was closing, not just for getting bit. Talk to your vet about it for your dog, but it's cheaper (and usually insured) at a human pharmacy..

Holaday

Doing It

Found a training session in June down in Washington state. Here is a link to the company doing it.

www. rattlesnakeaversion.com

Snowbeard

I had my dog avoidance trained at Partners Training school in Phoenix a couple of years ago and think it was definitely worth it.
I was also able to spend some time with the trainer there and witness how different dogs reacted to the training. It is critical to only get the training with someone who knows exactly what they are doing ,as the dog can be ruined if poorly aversion trained. Partners also trains so that the dog isn't nicked till the dog can smell and or hear the snake , this is very important,also, cause any stick out there "looks"like a snake and a dog that is sight aversion trained only can develop a really bad case of nerves!

Go get it done, it's worth it for both of you!

TexasD-90

Adventurer
I live in north Texas, and rattle snakes thrive around here. I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and an Australian Shepherd that are out all the time (I live on a ranch), and they both have the RS vaccine and have both been bitten SEVERAL times. They swell up and you will think they are going to pop, but they will be ok as long as their air is not cut off by the swelling. Had the retriever get bit before she was vaccinated, and the swelling was much much worse. The vaccine is worth the money. On the head is the best place for them to get bit. It will scare you to see them all swollen up if it happens, but get them vaccinated, and stay calm. Good luck.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I just finished a CARDA (California Rescue Dog Assc.) training last weekend and this was covered. A lot of people who had done the rattlesnake avoidance training (if they just took ‘snake avoidance' training, they would never search for lawyers, ex-wives, or politicians :sombrero: ) spoke very highly of the that training. Although with the warning that there are some very ‘questionable' people doing this training, so research the ‘trainer' before going.

The vet giving the first-aid class did not think the vaccine was worth getting. By the nature of the way a vaccine works, and the fact the snake's venom is quick, he did not think it was useful. Also no independent studies has shown it to be effect. All the ‘studies' that support it, are from the vaccine companies. But with anti-venom shots at $800 a pop, and multiple ones usually required, perhaps it is a good investment also.

It is nice to hear that people have had success with the vaccine. And it sure could be worth the peace of mind.

Holaday

Got it done last weekend in Winthrop WA.

I was very impressed with the training, and professionalism and knowledge of the trainer Erik. He is based out of Southern California but travels to do clinics. Here is a link to a video we took with our I phone. Not great quality turn the volume up. Also a link to their website lots of interesting info there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74Ze3VNKAs

Natural Solutions : http://socalrattlesnakeavoidancetraining.com/

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
....The vet giving the first-aid class did not think the vaccine was worth getting. By the nature of the way a vaccine works, and the fact the snake’s venom is quick, he did not think it was useful. Also no independent studies has shown it to be effect. All the ‘studies’ that support it, are from the vaccine companies. But with anti-venom shots at $800 a pop, and multiple ones usually required, perhaps it is a good investment also.

It is nice to hear that people have had success with the vaccine. And it sure could be worth the peace of mind.

The majority of vets have little or no experience with rattlesnake bites and, frankly, don't really have any idea how to handle them beyond the text book treatments. The dogs most likely to be bitten are bird dogs and working herding dogs - not house dogs. I know a couple of very good vets who do use and recommend the Red Rock RS vaccine for their dogs and client's dogs.

As for 'no independent data' comments that come from veterinary associations - that is ridiculous. Red Rock has run controlled tests and published the results (the same method used by the FDA to approve any drug for human use). Who else is willing to round up a large number of dogs, vaccinate 1/2 of them and leave the other half unvaccinated (as a control group), then envenomate (inject venom) into ALL the dogs to gather data under controlled conditions. Answer: nobody.

The snake vaccine works. It does not mean the dog should not be taken to a vet - it is appropriate to treat with antibiotics and have an experienced vet examine the dog. THE VACCINE BUYS TIME. I have used it on 5 of my bird dogs and will continue to do so.

I have written on snake bite on my blog - here are a couple of urls

http://wenaha.blogspot.com/2008/08/rattlesnakes-three-things-that-you-can.html

http://wenaha.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-post.html

Honu

lost on the mainland
I was very impressed with the training, and professionalism and knowledge of the trainer Erik. He is based out of Southern California but travels to do clinics. Here is a link to a video we took with our I phone. Not great quality turn the volume up. Also a link to their website lots of interesting info there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74Ze3VNKAs

Natural Solutions : http://socalrattlesnakeavoidancetraining.com/
Was that a real snake on the deck ?

That was fun to watch :)

My wife was from north van just past the hatchery going up cap road ;) pretty country

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal