rear tire cargo rack

saburai

Explorer
ya to get that it says you need their tire carrier

Weight capacity on Jeep tailgate is 50 pounds, weight capacity when installed on a quality tire carrier like the 700 Olympic Tire Swing is 250 pounds on the highway and 125 pounds on the trail.

I still wouldn't trust it.

Yeah, I read that. I still think that 250# seem like too much...

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have that exact rack for the KJ. I have never put much in it just because I have been worried about the weight on the door and I have only used it 5 or 6 times. I think with the door closed there should not be to many issues with more weight (probably not 250#s though.) The last time I used it, I used the Thule tire bike rack on the tire and set the rack on top, half on the rack half on the tire and did not have issues with probably about 100 pounds (was being lazy and did not want to exchange the pieces that fit under the tire) I actually found that setup to be the most useful as I felt the weight was better supported but that was just my feeling nothing really to base that on. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• HPIM0137.jpg
    HPIM0137.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 38

nightfoam

Adventurer
The rack shown with the gas cans are the Warrior Adventure racks. They are only made for Wranglers (unfortunately)

nasty73z-28

I have the rack the OP listed. Like the others have stated on the the stock LJ tailgate you really cant put much weight. With a 120qt cooler and a few bags of ice in it the whole thing moved ALOT. As a temporary solution I supported the spare on a block of wood. This alleviated most of the flexing. Future mods included a heavy duty tire swing, which is what this rack is really intended for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333