Recommendations...

J_wings24

Observer
I am working through a few Issues with my Tacoma and would love some input.

The Problem: CV boots keep tearing due to the truck being at the max allowable angle. I have SAW 2.5's up front that are cranked close to 3". My Dakar leaf springs lifted the truck a full 3" which required me to crank the SAW's up to level the truck.

I am considering a few options:

First swap to manual conversion hubs (side thread: anyone have good/bad experiences with the Downey off Road kit?). This truck is my DD 95% of the time so locking the front hubs is not huge problem every time i need 4x4.

The other thing I am considering is dropping the SAWs down to a reasonable level and then removing 1 or 2 leafs from the Dakars. Has anyone ever removed one spring out of rear leaf pack? and will this drop the rear enough for the truck to be level?

I'd prefer to do this as it would be MUCH cheaper and I'd retain the ADD.

What do you all think? any help/suggestions are much appreciate!!

Thanks,
Joel

84scrambler

Observer
i didnt see you say you dropped the diff yet, i would try that and you could get some of all pros supper boots, as for hubs i would find at a dismantiller and take the whole thing. james

J_wings24

Observer

great article, but unfortunately the new boots tear after only a few months of daily driving. I need to remedy the angle more than anything else.

dropping the diff will definately help. toytec sells a kit, as does sonoran steel. i think wheelers does as well.

www.toyteclifts.com
www.sonoransteel.com
www.wheelersoffroad.com

I need to read up more on this. It's an option I had not considered much.

I would prefer to lower the SAW's (and dakars for that matter) because the ride is pretty rough unloaded. If I don't have 300+ #'s in the bed it is extremely stiff (same with the front because I've pushed the SAWs up so high).

Keep the input comin' guys!

joel

seanz0rz

Adventurer
regardless what you do to the rear or front suspension, you should invest in a diff drop. it will help prolong the life of the boots and joints, and may keep them from breaking at full droop. get one, they are SOOO easy to install and really do make a difference.

i would drop the SAWs down a bit. 2.5 is about the max our front suspension can take, any more and youre really asking for problems. as for the rear, i have no answer for your question because i have only very limited knowledge and experience with leaf springs.

Vermejo

Adventurer
I’d lower the SAWs a bit like you and others suggested. The differential drop is not really a choice when it comes to lift compensation; relatively speaking it’s pretty cheap. Sonoran Steel can get you squared away on that one. The Downey conversion kit is a well assembled one. I did the swap 2 months ago and will never look back after nearly a dozen CV breaks over two years.

shawkins

Adventurer
I would start with lowering your lift and the diff drop. IIRC, they are around $60.

If you decide to do manual hubs, I would collect the parts from a junk yard. I picked up complete steering knuckles and hubs for $200.

deadbeat son

Explorer
You should be able to remove a leaf from the DAKAR springs with no negative impacts as long as you don't carry an exceptionally heavy load.

From the Cruiser Outfitters website:

For Stock/Light Load applications, the 3rd leaf from the bottom of the rear leaf spring pack can be removed for improved ride comfort.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
You should be able to remove a leaf from the DAKAR springs with no negative impacts as long as you don't carry an exceptionally heavy load.

Thanks for the link. It is a very common thing to do for lighter load Tacomas that are experiencing rake or too much lift in the rear. Removing the leaf is very easy and can be done with regular tools without even removing the spring from the vehicle.

dustboy

Explorer
Yeh, I'd vote for lowering a little, because besides the wear on your CV boots, you're probably putting a fair amount of stress on your UCA.

Playing with the leafs is easy, might as well try it. I modified my factory leaf pack a bit, added a long leaf and removed the overload leaf, and finally got a setup that I really like.

J_wings24

Observer

This is exactly what I was wanting to do. Thanks for the link. I knew I remembered reading someplace that this was possible. Looks like I'm going to remove a leaf, drop the SAWS, install a Diff Drop kit and save a bunch of money. I'll Have to plan a work weekend on the truck I guess!

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Joel

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Here is some additional helpful info if you decide to go the manual hub route.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/junk_yard_manual_hubs.html
http://www.sonoransteel.com/aisin_manual_hubs.html

Also here if you scroll down to the FAQ and check out #8. Yes you have a different set up, but here is a fabricator recommending a certain lift range specifically to help the purchaser avoid complications. I imagine if you can get your setup within those parameters you will experience far fewer problems.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_complete_liftkits.html

Good luck.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Thanks for the link.

No problem; thanks for the quality website!

This is exactly what I was wanting to do. Thanks for the link. I knew I remembered reading someplace that this was possible. Looks like I'm going to remove a leaf, drop the SAWS, install a Diff Drop kit and save a bunch of money. I'll Have to plan a work weekend on the truck I guess!

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Joel

My pleasure! I knew what you were hoping to do was acceptable; I was just looking for a reference and finally found it. Be sure and update your build thread with the info after you've finished these changes and let us know how everything turns out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333