Recommendations...

SirCampalot

Adventurer
Set the front to 2" lift... not only will you prevent the destruction of CV boots, but you will actually have some down travel in the front suspension. Another benefit is that the ball joints will be a lot happier at 2" lift, and since it's a daily driver, you will have a ton less bump steer because the tie rod angles are a lot closer to being horizontal rather than / \ .

I did a 2" front, 1" rear lift on my FJ... couldn't be happier.

Once the front is dialed in, do whatever it takes to get the rear to sit where it looks good to you.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Supra makes good points. I shoe horned 33's under my 86 4Runner with minimal lift. It is almost stock height other then helper springs in the rear to level the truck. Minimal lift is where it is at.

Normally I don't care for body lifts but a small body lift with a drivetrain lift works out very well on my truck. 2 inch body and two inch drivetrain and I can just about flat belly my 4Runner and get the fuel tank up a couple inches. I understand the newer trucks get similar results.

The problem with the CV boots is the central disconnect set up means the CV's are always spinning. At that angle they are wearing and heating up.

If you go to the junkyard and find a lower model truck with locking hubs and swap the hubs you will eliminate this problems.

TBob

Curious as to why everyone thinks a diff drop is the way to go? By design the diff is at the center point of the travel allowing 4" of travel up and 4" down. By dropping the diff yes you will lessing the angle on droop but you just made it bad for full compression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk