recommended oil for 95 SR

miloe79

Observer
Hey guys, I have a 95 SR with 195,xxx miles on it,
What type of oil would you guys recommend for my high mileage rig. I've read that Mobil 0-40 is best, has anyone here used this for their Monteros? And has it made a difference in your engines? I live in Las Vegas where temperatures can reach up to 118 degrees in the summer, and 22 degrees during winter, so I need an oil that can handle such extremes conditions.
Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

Eric M

Adventurer
I would recommend just using the weights given by the user's manual. I'm not sure about the Montero's, but a lot will recommend a different weight oil for temperature extremes if the engineers deem it necessary.

rajin cajun

Adventurer
Im partial to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w30. It depends on your climate and personal preference. All synthetics meet certain specifications.......good luck

miloe79

Observer
Thanks for the replies guys.
I checked the user manual last night as you recommended , in it it says I should use 5w-30. I'm a little hesitant about using that since my rig is almost at the 200,xxx miles mark. I'll try Pennzoil like Rajincajun suggested. Thanks again.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Pennzoil still uses a higher percentage of paraffin last I heard, not something I would want in my engine. Why not use high mileage Mobil 1, myself and others use it with great results.

hove102

Adventurer
I'm personally a big fan of Castrol GTX High Mileage...I've never had bad luck with Castrol products (used it in my Volvo wagon for the better part of 4 years), it's a part synthetic so you have that advantage, and I'm pretty sure it's rated for long intervals too so if you're one of those people that does 10K changes (for whatever reason) you have that luxury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach