Recommended portable solar?

zuren

Adventurer
I'm new to the notion of adding solar charging to my gear so I'm looking for some advice.

There is potential for a trip later this year to a remote Canadian lake for fishing. You can drive to this lake but the camping is rustic, so I'm considering my options to put some level of charge on the boat batteries during the week. One battery is a Group 24 deep cycle (trolling motor), and the other is a smaller 35ah AGM battery (for the boat electronics). I am not looking to bring a 12v deep cycle back from being dead, just help prevent it from getting there. I am aware that my use of the trolling motor and probably the depth finder will need to be disciplined.

The outboard motor (currently) is not capable of charging a battery while running, however, this was an option, and parts are available. An add-on stator with regulator can supposedly produce 4A when the engine is running at 6000 RPM....so when I'm running the boat at full speed. Typically it isn't very often that I'm running hard like that, but this lake is big, so there is a chance for decently long runs. I don't know what the output is at slower speeds. The cost of the parts is $100 or less, and I would install.

Instead of, or in addition to, I was considering a portable solar option....probably something 50-100w. I don't know what is considered good. I'm coming across items like this but they lack a lot of specs and dimensions:

I'm aware of GoalZero but not savvy with their offerings. Their solar panels seem to only plug into their battery units?

A couple people I have spoken to said bring a generator. I don't own one and it isn't in the budget. Plus I don't want to carry the fuel to run it, and do not want to do the disservice to others who come to the quiet woods only to hear my generator next door. I don't want to listen to it either.

Thanks!

Greetings,

I am not familiar with using solar for charging in the far north, as I use it in the U.S. Southwest. Nor am I familiar with the retail market for solar equipment in Canada.

With that said, I would suggest looking into 100 watt folding solar panels. You will need either a dumb (PWM) or smart (MPPT) charge controller between the solar panel and the 12v battery. It will be crucial for you to read up on the optimum angle for the panels in the northern hemisphere during the summer (for maximum solar production.)

RockPals is an inexpensive Chinese brand of folding solar panels which from my limited experience is okay quality.

crazysccrmd

Observer
I’d say an inexpensive 50-100w flexible panel that you can easily bungee cord around the boat throughout the day to keep a constant charge going would be ideal. Simple to move around to keep in the sun, lightweight and more usable while you fish unlike a rigid folding panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater