Red_5 gets a ZR2 and bolts some things on...

red_5

Adventurer
The new Colorado looks great! I've put tens of thousands of miles in several of the previous generation of Colorado's. Under powered, but reliable.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I agree. I do believe they build a pretty good looking truck.

Before I stumbled across the ZR2, the Colorado wasn't even on my radar and I'd never really considered a new Chevy. Once I did some real homework on the model and drove a couple of Colorados back to back against a Tacoma I really had to take Chevy a little more seriously.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I agree. I do believe they build a pretty good looking truck.

Before I stumbled across the ZR2, the Colorado wasn't even on my radar and I'd never really considered a new Chevy. Once I did some real homework on the model and drove a couple of Colorados back to back against a Tacoma I really had to take Chevy a little more seriously.

Did you drive then back to back on the same day? I'd be interested in your opinion on the 2 engines. A lot of people complain about the Tacoma engine, but for a midsize it seemed fine to me.

Clutch

<---Pass
Did you drive then back to back on the same day? I'd be interested in your opinion on the 2 engines. A lot of people complain about the Tacoma engine, but for a midsize it seemed fine to me.

Both seem similar to me, really splitting hairs. Bonus of the Tacoma is, you can get with a manual trans. not much of an auto fan, but liked the Taco's better, you can manually shift it with the stick, where-as the Cheby feels a little cheesy with only a thumb button.

From reading on the complaints...feels like most people that come from the sports sedan market don't like it. Middle-aged grouchy ol' SOB's that are done with being in a hurry like myself...feel that is more than adequate, heck, even the 4 banger in either platform is enough for my needs.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Got the FrontRunner Slimline II rack assembled and installed today along with single jerry can and Hi-Lift mounts.

The rack was went together really easy. The only trouble I had was with one corner that needed some love from a dead blow hammer to fully seat so the retaining screw would thread in clean.
I mounted the rack to the cross bars using some Yakima "SNAR"s that I scrounged up in the garage. I used 3 per cross bar and it's really solid. Bonus with these towers is that I can take the entire rack off the truck in about a minute with one helper if I need to.

I've also got a shovel mount that I haven't installed yet and I've got to get my choppin' stick mounted up as well.

The rest of the rack space will be used for a table, our USGI issue rocket box trash can and a couple of weatherproof bins. I have a bunch of "portable" tie-down rings for the rack that I can move around to secure things as needed.

Once the wallet recovers from this stuff, I'll get a set of recovery boards, a good hand winch then I'll figure out some additional LED trail lighting.

In the meantime, I've got a GM cat-back performance exhaust, additional LED bed lighting and LED interior lighting to install. I also want to move the spare from under the truck and into the bed once I come up with a good way to secure it.

I've got some maintenance to do on the Conqueror trailer over the weekend, so I've gotten about as much done on the truck as I can for right now.

View attachment 409913View attachment 409912View attachment 409915View attachment 409914View attachment 409911

Nice Rack! :drool:
I said that in a bar once, and got a black eye... :elkgrin:

zcarczar

That rack setup looks nice, I'm planning on building something similar but under the bed rails so I can keep it covered by the bed cover. People unfortunately like to walk off with things in the area I live in, so out of site out of mind.

As far as holding your spare tire down, Kartek has some nice 3-point spare tire hold down ratchet straps. Would be easy to add some attachment points in the bed to hook the strap into.

https://www.kartek.com/parts/prp-ex...tires-in-truck-bed-or-roof-rack-35x39x39.html

red_5

Adventurer

I was really geared up to buy a Tacoma before the ZR2 got my attention. Once I drove both the Tacoma and the Colorado a couple of times each, I was sold on the Colorado for a number of reasons.

About the engine though, comparing an apple to an apple: Toyota V6/auto sv the Colorado V6/auto, the Chevy is stouter, more lively and makes better noises. It's just a little more hot-rody than the Toyota engine. There wasn't anything specific that I didn't like about the Toyota drive train, I just the like the Chevy better.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Both seem similar to me, really splitting hairs. Bonus of the Tacoma is, you can get with a manual trans. not much of an auto fan, but liked the Taco's better, you can manually shift it with the stick, where-as the Cheby feels a little cheesy with only a thumb button.

I've owned (and still do two vehicles) manuals and have two with autos. The two autos are an '04 4Runner V8 and my '07 Duramax. I have driven both off road and really prefer the "cheesy thumb button" as it just works intuitively versus the "gated" notchy Toyota shifter in the 4Runner. Plus I usually try to move it in a direction that it doesn't want to go thinking that would be the logical direction; guess it isn't according to Toyota. YMMV.
Jack

Clutch

<---Pass
I've owned (and still do two vehicles) manuals and have two with autos. The two autos are an '04 4Runner V8 and my '07 Duramax. I have driven both off road and really prefer the "cheesy thumb button" as it just works intuitively versus the "gated" notchy Toyota shifter in the 4Runner. Plus I usually try to move it in a direction that it doesn't want to go thinking that would be the logical direction; guess it isn't according to Toyota. YMMV.
Jack

Yeah, everyone is a little different. Honestly both are a little cheesy, just the Chevy's is a bit more. The Toyota didn't feel notchy at all, very smooth, almost video game joystick like. Guess I like the Toyota's a bit more since it has a closer feel of an actual manual...but still kinda cheesy, even though they are shiftable I can see the novelty wearing off real quick and me just leaving it in auto mode all the time. Think if they're going to do it, they should have paddle shifters....that said I prefer manuals, my manual Tacoma was down for a week waiting on a brake switch, so I had to drive my automatic SUV, gawd I hate that thing, about as exciting as watching paint dry. :)

I would seriously consider a Colorado if you could get them with manual trans, however no manny is a deal killer.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Awesome truck, if I hadn't just got a dodge Ram--I'd get one--

Word of caution--do not leave the HiLift outside and exposed--it'll probably be stolen before it becomes useless do to exposure to the weather--

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

red_5

Adventurer
:sombrero: Awesome truck, if I hadn't just got a dodge Ram--I'd get one--

Word of caution--do not leave the HiLift outside and exposed--it'll probably be stolen before it becomes useless do to exposure to the weather--

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Yep. It's too bad we can't trust people to just leave stuff alone that doesn't belong to them... It lived inside the Xterra along with the rest of my recovery gear and until I get a garage parking arrangement sorted out will only be on the truck when it's headed for the dirt. Likewise the rest the of the rack-mounted tools and whatnot.

red_5

Adventurer
I still have work to do on the truck but ran out of time to get it done before we went on a 10-day trip to field test the rig and new setup. Left home with about 900 miles on the clock and returned with just over 2600. I didn't log it exactly but guesstimate roughly 600 of that was dirt and will post a separate short trip report and review of the truck/rack in another thread when I get more time.

In the meantime, here's a pic of the rig as currently configured out in the field:

Attachments

• Expo ZR2 w_Conqueror.jpg
    Expo ZR2 w_Conqueror.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 99

Bob Laublaw

Most awesome. I'm likely going to make the same switch next year. I have a CM Tundra currently.

Couple of questions:

It's really not a lot narrower (track width) than the Tundra that I can see, and it's damn near as tall as a stock Tundra for entry/egress/bed height. Does it feel smaller in day-to-day/parking/etc?

With that bed setup, can you mount a tent on that rack?

I'm leaning towards the diesel, but what kind of range between fillups are you seeing with the V6 (Tundra is a terrible gas hog with a small tank)?

Thanks!

red_5

Adventurer
Most awesome. I'm likely going to make the same switch next year. I have a CM Tundra currently.

Couple of questions:

It's really not a lot narrower (track width) than the Tundra that I can see, and it's damn near as tall as a stock Tundra for entry/egress/bed height. Does it feel smaller in day-to-day/parking/etc?

With that bed setup, can you mount a tent on that rack?

I'm leaning towards the diesel, but what kind of range between fillups are you seeing with the V6 (Tundra is a terrible gas hog with a small tank)?

Thanks!

The ZR2 has 3.5" wider track width than the standard Colorado and on paper, base solely on that dimension it would look to be "not a lot smaller" than most full-size trucks. However, parked right along side a CC Tundra (or other full-size truck), it's significantly smaller overall. The Cab and "waist" of the truck is much narrower as are the nose and tail.

Out in the woods, it feels like it's half the size of the Tundra on tighter trails. We did a lot of two-track/jeep trails on this trip without issue that the Tundra would have been a no-go on. At one point, I had to do a multi-point turn around with the trailer on a dead-end two-track trail. This same maneuver would have been totally impossible with the Tundra.

It's tallish due to the extra suspension on the ZR2 model, so it's a bit of a stretch to the ground but I can get in/out without problem.

As a daily driver, it's MUCH easier to maneuver and park around town. Overall, the truck is just the right size for my needs.

It's hard to state fuel range since that can vary so much depending on conditions and driving habits but generally speaking based on my experience so far, this truck is quite a bit easier on fuel than the Tundra.

We did a LOT of off-road on this trip (roughly 600 miles of dirt), were pulling the trailer (roughly 2400~ish lbs fully loaded) the whole time and still averaged a good bit better than 16 mpg for the trip. The new truck pulls the trailer really well and I was seeing 18+ average on the highway, and pulled quite a few pretty big grades. We did a fair amount of trails in 4-low with the rear diff locked and saw as low as mid-6s on the trail occasionally.

Considering the amount of time we spent in the dirt and that we were pretty well loaded w/trailer in tow, I'm really happy with the mileage. It's better than I expected.

I get over 20 mpg just running around "unloaded", so over 400 miles is possible on a tank of fuel.

I looked at the diesel (and drove a couple Z71 CC diesel models) as well, but after looking into the diesel engine peculiarities regarding emissions and some of the limitations imposed thereby, I went with the gas engine. I grew up in the timber industry and have spent plenty of time around heavy logging equipment/trucks/diesel light duty trucks, etc., so I'm not prejudiced against diesel power at all, I just decided the current diesel offering in this truck wasn't for me and went for the gas engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal