RedArc vs Victron... REAL WORLD USE pros and cons?

Mtpisgah

Sorry if I misunderstood. I assumed that you already had a controller and wanted to know if it would work.

If you are designing a new system, you could do worse than to use this calculator. I would feed it the numbers for the biggest system expansion that you can imagine putting on your truck.

MPPT Calculator - Victron Energy

it is installed. Just wanted to know if it is adequate. Sounds like it is.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
This is very simple - if you want more complete control over your system, Victron. It has the ability to adjust all sorts of parameters in various components.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

nudavinci64

Old post, but I have had this game dilemma. My current setup has a mix of redarc and victron (i like the interface and BT options better than RedArc (Does not exist in just the chargers).

My updated setup will either be RedArc RedVision or a mix of Victron. I am leaning towards Victron, and it seems more flexible I like that I can swap parts or upgrade if needed. But the other part of me liks the integrated part and it seems to take up less space which is a Premium in my setup.

For the Victron folks what did you end up with in your setup?

Rough idea:
712 Shunt
Lynx
New MPPT for 400+ Watts of solar unsure which setup. I think running 75/30 or 100/30 now.
DCDC will need to get upgraded and go with Victron over RedArc. I was considering leaving it in with my 2 AGMS up front and the new setup will power
the lithium house setup.
Currently no Inverter but plan to add 1500-2000 watt inverter.
I have been also looking at the Cerbo GX with a display.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
The Victron Orion DC/DC runs hot. Make sure you can mount it in a location with plenty of air flow. My 30 amp tends to derate frequently and at lower than expected temperatures. I have verified that it is operating as expected /designed. It's just not as efficient as the rest of the victron line.

It also has a fairly pathetic Bluetooth interface, doesn't give you any Charge current information, and doesn't communicate with any of the other victron equipment. It's pretty much a standalone device... And frankly lacks many of the features you would expect from Victron. I used the relay output from the BMV 712 to disable charging when the SOC exceeded 98% (or 50% during storage/around town).

I use a Kisae DMT 1250 instead - runs much cooler, provides more power, and works just fine with a Victron system. It does not have a bluetooth app but does have a display that you can monitor the charging current from time to time. I use the relay output from the BMV 712 to disable charge when the LFP SoC it exceeds 50% or 98% (depending on storage vs use). The Kisae does not have a external relay / dry contact control, so I just use a suitably high power relay contactor on its input. It works a treat.

For a while, I ran the Orion and a DMT 1250 in parallel in my van. The Orion would frequently overheat and derate significantly... and it did have adequate space for air flow. At one point, I added a small fan and it helped... The DMT 1250, in the same location, never derated.

Now I run two of the DMT 1250s in my van which has 960amp hours of lithium and one DMT 1250 in my Jeep which has 320 amp hours of lithium.

As far as the Lynx is concerned, depends on which product and the feature/function you're really looking to use it for. The bus bar product is wildly overpriced. I don't need to have fuse status tied into the system controller.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

unsung

FWIW, REDARC called me from Australia after I bought one of the chargers to see how it was doing for me.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
For the DCDC Charging portion of my system, i went with Sterling Power.

Simply couldnt find anything that compares, or even close.

They come in 30a, 60a, 120a units

I have the 60a unit and its been running flawless for 2 years now, and is actually putting out what its rated to.

My original plan was the 120a variant, but it was on backorder forever. So i bought the 60a with the intent of swapping it to the 120a when it was available.

The 60a works so good and efficient, i am keeping it as is.

Both Victron and RedArc seem to lack in the DCDC arena, and it doesnt really make sense not to get the most powerful charger possible.

I see some folks running multiple Victron in parrellel, still not getting the output of a sterling, which doesnt make a lick of sense to me, but for each is own i guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78