Relay box recommendations

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
The only limitation to a relay box with waterproof connections is the wire size. For large amperage draws, like light bars you may have a lot of voltage drop on 16 guage wire

I did connect all the grounds. Shown in my write up that i linked too.

Its 14ga wire not 16. Should be fine for most applications. The Bussman has a 80amp limit i think on it anyways.

fbksurferjoe

Adventurer
I did connect all the grounds. Shown in my write up that i linked too.

Its 14ga wire not 16. Should be fine for most applications. The Bussman has a 80amp limit i think on it anyways.

oh my apologies didnt see that link. That looks great. I agree 14ga is plenty for most applications.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I don't have the patients to do a fuse box like this but a guy that does a U-tube Channel called Blip-n-Jeep has a lengthy video on how he took a fuse box out of a vehicle and built an axillary box that you can plug in relays and fuses as needed.

bkg

Explorer
They take some time to setup. But it is well worth it. Makes for a super clean install. I really like them. And they are weather sealed and quiet small as they use mini relays and fuses. Highly recommend.

Hard to argue that. After skimming a good part of the thread last night, I figured it would end up being a very expensive option given the amount of material I would need to buy (all could be used elsewhere, of course) and the number of those materials I would screw up. lol

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Hard to argue that. After skimming a good part of the thread last night, I figured it would end up being a very expensive option given the amount of material I would need to buy (all could be used elsewhere, of course) and the number of those materials I would screw up. lol

That true.

You can always buy one for about 180 bucks straight up from here: http://www.tacomapros.com/bussmann-rtmr-fuse-relay-box-prewired-4-ft-lead/

Other people on TW do GB's on them or make them in small batches. I bought mine from some guy for 225 with all the spare connectors and wiring for everything. I didn't have the time to make my 2nd one.

You're right though. Is expensive to buy the parts yourself. Main because you have to buy in large bulk. That said, you can get enough to sell a couple of them to others and make your money back pretty easily.

Not for everyone that's for sure.

theksmith

Explorer
Details?

EDIT: Just checked his website.... Out of stock and not taking orders. Price seems reasonable, though...

sorry, i didn't realize Rob wasn't working on these currently...

here are a couple more options for you:

- this guy sells the Bussmann ones pre-made on Amazon and eBay: http://amzn.to/2jsSrVd

- a similar DIY kit using a Littelfuse brand box is here: http://amzn.to/2kPosXW - you still would need crimpers, wire, plus the fuses & relays.

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Bussmann 2 bus has 100A each bus, single bus unit is 80A. Accommodates 12GA no problem.

Pretty convinent to have another place for addition fuses as we as relays.

bkg

Explorer
Forgot to update this....

I bought two pre-made Bussmann kits from Wired Wagon, LLC on IH8Mud. GREAT gentleman to work with, and at the price, I couldn't say no. Two shipped to my door, pre wired for 5 circuits for just north of $200 with shipping. ***

I'm currently using 4 of the circuits, leaving one free. I'm also using the supplied "switch" power lead to power the switch lights.

Circuits (in no particular order)
1 - ARB compressor
2 - 155W LED spot lights on the front bumper
3 - LED "driving" lights on the front bumper
4 - switched power.

I decided to do switched power (ign) as one circuit just to lean everything up and reduce any risk of over powering the ign circuit. Works well.

Ironically, since buying these, I found a number of alternatives right on Amazon. Specifically, they are built for Jeep JK's... but they are priced well and even come with an a-pillar mount you can give to your Jeep friends for Christmas. Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier....

edit: only pics I have, I guess. thought I had some preinstalled.

*** - note: prices at time of purchase, no guarantees they are the same today.

Attachments

• WP_20170219_002.jpg
    WP_20170219_002.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

giarc1234

I think Bussmann is the way to go. I started to build the 5 position and decided I might need more down the road, so I went with the 10 position. I did not buy any crimp tools, needle nose worked great with a solder on top of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77