Repainting my xj...with bedliner?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My jeep is in dire need of new paint.

Its one of those things I don't want to waste money on, only to do again in a few years of normal, "disregard the jeep's finish" use.

I have read up on a product called U-pol Raptor liner. I know xjMike's used it before. On your truck, right, Mike?

I only want to spend a few hundo on this mod/repair, and I thought this sounded like a plan...UV stable, tough, sound deadening qualities, etc.

I'm actually thinking about a full murder job on the xj, but we'll have to see.

thoughts?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
24807d1215223515-meet-booger-my-linex-d-od-tank-after_59.jpg

XXXpedition

Explorer
that's not an XJ :elkgrin::elkgrin::elkgrin:

seriously:
i love the idea, but what kind of weight does it add. it has more thickness than paint and therefore, i suppose, more weight. if it's too thin it might not work as well.
depending on the area you stroll through most it might need a second thought:
here in europe i've talked to people who don't like the idea. hair cracks might develop over time and allow moisture to enter, underneath that layer it makes for a perfect rost spot...
i have no clue if that applies, but i heard people mention it...

but personally i like the idea. i wanted to do this to my XJ fife years back or so, but it was too much money for me. i didn't really care too much about the paint - 'cause in SoCal it's barely important.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Every vehicle I've seen covered in bed liner has looked like crap. That FJ looks sick, but I think its because its fresh out of the booth and has a nice OD color to it. I'd say just rattle can the XJ and call it a day.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
that's not an XJ :elkgrin::elkgrin::elkgrin:

seriously:
i love the idea, but what kind of weight does it add. it has more thickness than paint and therefore, i suppose, more weight. if it's too thin it might not work as well.
depending on the area you stroll through most it might need a second thought:
here in europe i've talked to people who don't like the idea. hair cracks might develop over time and allow moisture to enter, underneath that layer it makes for a perfect rost spot...
i have no clue if that applies, but i heard people mention it...

but personally i like the idea. i wanted to do this to my XJ fife years back or so, but it was too much money for me. i didn't really care too much about the paint - 'cause in SoCal it's barely important.

Yup, weight is definitely a "con". I've been assured at the proper thickness it does weigh more.

Yeah rust isn't a big issue around here in the desert. That's one good thing about socal. This truck is completely rust free.

Problem is, is that a rattle can job gets to be completely UV "unstable" here after only a year or so. So at 5 bucks a can and around 12-15 cans needed for several good coats, you can see how the cost starts not being worth it....

And to be quite honest I DO want it to look SOMEWHAT decent

Thanks, Sven! Keep the good advice coming, all.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Another thing to consider is engine heat. I had thought about doing this at one point also. The liners on a hood will make it a little harder for heat to escape. May not big a big issue but still something to think about

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

Yup, weight is definitely a "con". I've been assured at the proper thickness it does weigh more.

Yeah rust isn't a big issue around here in the desert. That's one good thing about socal. This truck is completely rust free.

Problem is, is that a rattle can job gets to be completely UV "unstable" here after only a year or so. So at 5 bucks a can and around 12-15 cans needed for several good coats, you can see how the cost starts not being worth it....

And to be quite honest I DO want it to look SOMEWHAT decent

Thanks, Sven! Keep the good advice coming, all.

:elkgrin:

I think youll regret this. Ive seen a few trucks that have been painted in bedliner and they all looked terrible (one was an all black XJ). Also, Im with everyone else, the weight and heat build up are some pretty big cons. From my experience krylon jobs usually hold up pretty well to UV, but if its a huge concern just go buy a cheap spray gun and buy some mixed paint online or from a local paint shop. I've seen guns go for as little as $30. Sure it might not be world class but it will be UV resistant and better looking than bedliner.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think youll regret this. Ive seen a few trucks that have been painted in bedliner and they all looked terrible (one was an all black XJ). Also, Im with everyone else, the weight and heat build up are some pretty big cons. From my experience krylon jobs usually hold up pretty well to UV, but if its a huge concern just go buy a cheap spray gun and buy some mixed paint online or from a local paint shop. I've seen guns go for as little as $30. Sure it might not be world class but it will be UV resistant and better looking than bedliner.

definitely an option I'm considering...I have access to a good compressor, and I've heard the gravity fed guns from HF are legit.

One question. If I'm considering a color change, are the door jambs/engine compartment really that big a deal? Can I prep them and then roll or brush the color on?

It depends on what color you are now and what your going to. I wouldnt want to leave blue showing under a new black job or OD, but I wouldnt think it really matters. Its not like its a show truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater