repair question

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Anyone know where I can source some good plastic to use in a patch/plastic weld for my creek boat? I've got a Necky Crux that I've got a good size hole in now that I've been struggling to find the right kind of plastic to seal it up with.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Here in Denver we have a fantastic plastic supplier, Plasticare. I get WilderNest supplies there, my wife gets her model stuff there, people building boats and airplanes get their stuff there. I dunno if it helps you much being in MI, though...

http://www.plasticareinc.com/

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks for the tips guys. I will investigate both. I've been surpised at just how fussy the type of plastic needs to be. I've tried 3 different things now to no avail. Finding something that has the same flex and strength charetertiscs seems to be the challenge along with the fact that once heated, the stuff I used became brittle.

kerry

Expedition Leader
It depends on what your boat is made out of. I have a plastic welder designed for repairing plastic radiators but I've welded a lot of boating plastic with it. You buy welding rods based on the kind of plastic to be welded. Someone on mountainbuzz just bought a similar welder and was welding a kayak. I think the basic type of kayak plastic is either linear or cross linked polyethylene.
Lots of kayakers seem to be using Bituthane to fix holes in their boats. Probably not as pretty as a weld but a pretty simple fix.

Here's a link to the mountainbuzz thread with a link embedded in the thread about the welder:

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/bitchethane-25465.html

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine has successfully welded splits in the hull of several Pyranha Micros which have cross-linked plastic. One split was about six inches long and I was surprised the weld held for a couple of seasons before leaking again. If you need it I'll find out more information about that.

Prijon sells plastic rods which go in hot glue guns for repairing small holes and splits in their kayaks. That works fine but usually needs a heat gun to help if the crack is tiny. I have a Prijon Fly with a couple of small fixes.

I know a few people who paddle Liquid Logic "El Jefe" creek boats and routinely split hulls on innocuous rocks. The plastic seems to be too brittle and its not possible to fix it. To be honest I don't know why anybody paddles them other than the shock-absorbing suspension in the bulkhead.

Apparently duct tape works! You have to work at it a while but here's a link to a site that claims it works wonders: http://oregonkayaking.net/how_to/boat_repair.html

Good luck!

Cheers,
Graham

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Interesting reading guys. Yeah, I tried duct tape, gorrilla tape works pretty well. I'm thinking that I might try the bituthane route. I think I even have some leftover in my garage somewhere. I'm still collecting ideas though before my next attempt. Right now some ski base black graphite p tex is plugging it up. Gorrilla tape over that and I'm going to see how it holds. I think it is a very temporary fix though.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I haven't really followed up on the repair yet. I did the ptex and gorrilla tape and haven't had a chance to try it yet. The rivers are all pretty low right now since we haven't had much rainfall at all and there hasn't been a good surf day yet this month! I will try to reach Necky and see if they can assist. Vanderpooch, thanks for the link. Appreciate all the help guys.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Kristian,
If you have no luck I can try some "inside" sources. Necky is owned by Johnson Outdoors (along with Old Town) which is owned by SC Johnson. Let me know and I will see what I can find out through work to help you out.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Kristian,
If you have no luck I can try some "inside" sources. Necky is owned by Johnson Outdoors (along with Old Town) which is owned by SC Johnson. Let me know and I will see what I can find out through work to help you out.

Ah, now way, that's right. Well if it isn't a hassle, I'm just trying to find a hunk of the plastic that they make their whitewater boats from. Its a Necky Crux (though I have been calling it the Crax lately, haha). Its a creek boat and I suspect that all of their whitewater boats use a similar grade of material. Its yellow too, but I don't care what color a scrap would be. That would be awesome but if its a pain, no worries! Thanks Brett.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I will send a couple emails when I go in Sunday night.

How big of a peice do you need BTW?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal