Replacement axle recommendations for M101A2

Buffalobwana

Observer
Scrapdaddy,
Thanks for the help. I called eTrailer and got a helpful, nice rep, but she had only had two “military trailer” orders. One didn’t go well, mainly because she got fed bad info. I could do no better than the previous customer so I kept her recommendation, added it to the cart, and renewed my search.

Parking brakes aren’t super high priority on this particular trailer. My cables are trashed, which contributed to that decision. On the next one, I think I will. I have 4 to do, and two 1101’s. One of the 1101’s is pretty much done. Found the right electric brakes for it.

How I found this post and missed that post on SS, I dunno. Tired I guess. Thanks again.

Buffalobwana

Observer
SD,

Did those brakes come with new cables? Or cable leads that you fix to the frame and then attach your own cables to? I see your cables are above the axle in your pic instead of below axle on a typical A2.

I also remember my 1101 has handles and cables that are not in use that I could swap over to my 101A2.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Brakes do not come with cables and this trailer has a M101A3 axle with a A2 body, so I cut down the axle in order to tuck the tires under the body. I also have a half dozen trailers, when I bid on them I bid on two at a time.

Before..
IMG_3430.JPG

After...
IMG_3513.JPG

Here's what I did for a new tongue...

IMG_3505.JPG

I didn't want the military tongue that was foldable, so I made my own. I do like the M101A3 axle with the bump up, problem was it was the width of a Humvee.

Buffalobwana

Observer
That is some seriously nice work on that tongue with the cuts on the center gusset and split front with solid plate welded in. Props! That tongue is twice as strong as the one that it had. I have always thought the 101’s tongue was a bit weak looking. It did the job, and was sufficient for sure, but, it just looked kind of mediocre.

That’s a great idea with the chains. I wish I would have thought of that.

Brainstatic

Brakes do not come with cables and this trailer has a M101A3 axle with a A2 body, so I cut down the axle in order to tuck the tires under the body. I also have a half dozen trailers, when I bid on them I bid on two at a time.

Before..
View attachment 445670

After...
View attachment 445671

Here's what I did for a new tongue...

View attachment 445672

I didn't want the military tongue that was foldable, so I made my own. I do like the M101A3 axle with the bump up, problem was it was the width of a Humvee.

I love this set up. What thickness of plate did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
The hub is the problem with no good place for the magnet to grab to. I couldn't find any new style hubs that have the same bearing size of the military ones. I machined down the "stud bosses" on the mil. hub and then made a plate to bolt to the machined hub that allows the magnet to get a good bite.

IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh