Replacing engine

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I bought the truck with 105,000 miles on it. Have had a lot of problems with the truck from day 1. Unfortunately I'm not like a lot of people on this forum who are mechanically inclined. I also don't have a place to do a lot of work on the truck. I was wondering if changing the plugs would open up a lot of problems such as the advice I got since my transmission fluid has never been changed to wait till the transmission fails.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I bought the truck with 105,000 miles on it. Have had a lot of problems with the truck from day 1. Unfortunately I'm not like a lot of people on this forum who are mechanically inclined. I also don't have a place to do a lot of work on the truck. I was wondering if changing the plugs would open up a lot of problems such as the advice I got since my transmission fluid has never been changed to wait till the transmission fails.

I know it is pricey but I would recommend a trip to the dealer on this one.They do it every day and can deal with the problems that can occur. .Watch the video above as it is being performed by a ford guy I believe.Once they are done you should have the new and improved plug in it and the spark plug problem is no more.

the tranny is a different beast from this spark plug issue.last I knew there is no ford approved way of flushing the auto because of a thermostat in the way.I have not looked into it for awhile.Last I understood there is now way to get to the fluid in the torqe converter.

http://http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1054074-2008-f150-transmission-fluid-change.html

I have an 08 and do all my own maintenance.

A lot of what was said is correct, particularly not using a ratchet, use an impact on them.

Here is what we do. Before we had a BG top engine machine, we ran seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line into the intake. Follow the instructions on the seafoam can. Wait 5 minutes after doing so on a hot engine and then go drive it like you stole it. It will smoke like hell, but you are burning off all the carbon from around the piston crown and the carbon that builds up around the plug, which is the reason they break.

As the others said quickly remove the spark plugs with the engine as close to operating temperature as possible using a 1/2 or 3/8 impact. Not sure on that body, but you can get to the right rear plug if you remove the ECU from the fire wall.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I believe that the sea foam works and all but....If I brought my truck to you to work on and caught you performing that procedure on my truck........

ZMagic97

Explorer
Putting seafoam in the fuel helps clean and lubricate the pump, lines, and pistons. IT will still burn off carbon, but at a slower rate. I have done this on every vehicle I have owned. I did it last week on my 06 5.3 Sierra and just before that on my 05 4.3 Silverado. The Silverado was having issues under load: seafoam in the tank solved it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I haven't serviced the trans in your truck yet.

But I just drain, change the filter, and fill. You don't have to get all the ATF out. It isn't bad. If you are that worried about the old ATF, just dump it again in a month. If your ATF is bad, and every drop needs removed, pull your transmission and get it rebuilt, cause you done screwed up son! Avoid the quicky lube pump machines. They are usually broken and will just pump someone else's blown up goo into your trans.

There is no reason why you can't service your trans. That's just internet BS.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Well I have an 06 f150 5.4v . I did spark plugs in October. It is not that miserable. First do you know your way around tools? I don't recommend an impact wrench. This is how I did it.

After I got home from work. I undid the battery and coil packs. I cracked all the plugs 1/8 of a turn. Sprayed a good oil down the plugs. Let it sit over night.

Next morning use a socket wrench and slowly turn the plugs working them back and forth. If they break use a lisle tool to extract the remaining plug.

Once all the plugs a out try to vacuum or blow out the cylinder. Re install battery turn over engine a couple times.

Install plugs new coil packs and your on your way. Simple.

Mad_Texan

Adventurer
Jeepmedic46,

Can you verify if you have a 4.6l 3 valve motor or is it a 4.6l 2 valve motor? I ask because the two motors use a different plugs... the 3 valve uses the 3 piece plugs and the 2 valve uses a standard plug...
-
After doing my homework... the 4.6l 3 valve didn't go into the F150 till 2009 and came with the updated one piece plugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine
-
You would have to worry about the threads which there are repair kits for. But if they were soaked overnight with penetrating oil it shouldn't be to bad. I did them on my truck with no issues...granted at a lower mileage. Any good shop should be able to do them...
-
John

Last edited:

GregSplett

Adventurer
The tool he refers too tells me that he has the three piece plugs.What he describes is pretty much how it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat