Report: Diesel Wrangler On It's Way

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The last time that I checked diesel in the border areas of Mexico was about $1/gallon cheaper than in the USA.

Because it could be a Low Sulfur diesel instead of the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel that we get in America and Canada.......you do not want to run the a new DPF equipped diesel on Low Sulfur diesel...bad things will happen.

reece146

Automotive Artist
There is no way a JKU will be getting 30 mpg on the highway.

HDJ100 and Gwags with diesel get low to mid twenties.

The upside is that they don't lose as much MPG with mods and weight.

Until we see a diesel JKU in the wild getting 30+ MPG don't believe it.

H3ll, I'm not even convinced ChryCo will even sell a diesel JK yet.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
you do not want to run the a new DPF equipped diesel on Low Sulfur diesel...bad things will happen.

Can you elaborate on that?

I'm not up to speed on this stuff and I'd love to be.

Hypothetically, if you've done a DPF delete on a given engine, will it run on crappy diesel without damage?

Thanks,
-Dan

Jorsn

Adventurer
It makes more sense to pay off your JK and find a take out 3.0L/8-Speed in 1-3 years and swap it into your JK.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Can you elaborate on that?

I'm not up to speed on this stuff and I'd love to be.

Hypothetically, if you've done a DPF delete on a given engine, will it run on crappy diesel without damage?

Thanks,
-Dan

Hey Dan....high sulfur fuels and DPFs do not mix...the issue is the higher sulfur content coats the precious metals inside the DPF which affects the heat generated in a regeneration. The engine puts out soot which chemically reacts with the precious metals inside the DPF. The precious metals, exhaust heat and fuel combine to create the regeneration process. If the process is hindered in anyway the DPF will accumulate to much soot and will quite working. Ash is the by product of soot. When everything is working properly with ULSD the filter will burn off the soot and create ash. The ash will accumulate in the DPF over many miles. The ash will eventually clog the DPF and it will need to be either cleaned or replaced. Using Low Sulfur Diesel will just accelerate the clogging.

If you have a dpf delete I would not worry about using Low Sulfur Diesel....if you are using Low Sulfur Diesel you may want to adjust the engine oil you are using. For instance Mercedes recommends a "low ash" engine oil for diesel engines equipped with DPFs. If you remove the DPF you can go with a higher ash content engine oil....

Injectors that are designed for ULSD MAY cause issues as well....the issues that we have seen is not really attributed to any type of fuel but the lower tolerances on modern day fuel injectors. A lot of modern day injectors require as low as 1 micron to deliver fuel. If the fuel is not filtered properly injectors have a tendency to stick open. A lot of the deposits are sodium based which make come from several sources.

rileysadams

I remember getting suspicious about a diesel wrangler when Chrysler pulled AEV supply of diesel J8's last minute and then almost immediately made the announcement about the diesel GC. It would appear that this has been the plan at least since then. What I'm hoping is that they'll offer the J8 platform maybe as a special order item, and maybe, just maybe, then you won't have to pay the ~50K to have it hand built by AEV. Military diesel wrangler for ~$40K, anyone?....emotions ran high...

discotdi

Adventurer
It is a novelty market and they know it, cost per mile to drive a diesel vs my 2012 pentastar will be equal or higher. Priced diesel in Merica lately?

Actually this idea is the very reason diesels don't sell in the USA. Problem is, it's wrong a v6 rated at 18 mpg and diesel rated at 28 mpg, the diesel will save you $595 per year driving 15k miles per year even if diesel is $1.00 more per gallon than unleaded, which it isn't. I calculated this using $3.80 per gallon vs $4.80 per gallon.
In GA where I live diesel is only $.26 more per gallon than Unleaded so the savings would be huge.
And a diesel doesn't seem to mind a heavier modified truck, the mpg doesn't drop as much as a gas engine. At least in my experience. My diesel powered Defender gets roughly the same mileage with a lift, brush bar, mud tires, and lots of crap in the back as when it isn't loaded down.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Actually this idea is the very reason diesels don't sell in the USA. Problem is, it's wrong a v6 rated at 18 mpg and diesel rated at 28 mpg, the diesel will save you $595 per year driving 15k miles per year even if diesel is $1.00 more per gallon than unleaded, which it isn't. I calculated this using $3.80 per gallon vs $4.80 per gallon.
In GA where I live diesel is only $.26 more per gallon than Unleaded so the savings would be huge.
And a diesel doesn't seem to mind a heavier modified truck, the mpg doesn't drop as much as a gas engine. At least in my experience. My diesel powered Defender gets roughly the same mileage with a lift, brush bar, mud tires, and lots of crap in the back as when it isn't loaded down.

Thanks for the numbers.

Also note that as the price of gas and diesel rise, the savings become bigger (assuming the price difference between gas and diesel stay similar).

I.e. run the calcs with gas at 4.80 and diesel at 5.80, or with gas at 5.80 and diesel at 6.80.
Those extra 10 mpg make a huge difference then.

If you want to see what happens when gas and diesel cost that much, look to europe, where it's basically insanity to buy a vehicle that is not a diesel.
In the UK, Jeep only sell the compass with a gas engine - everything else only comes in diesel.

-Dan

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Being extremely new to the modern diesel concept. I had to look up the DPF stuff. So it sounds like this is definitely something that is not going to come from the factory since it would bypass an emissions check. So even if this engine comes out, we will have to wait on the aftermarket to catch up and make the kit.

For me, I know that most people keep talking about cost savings, but all I care about it RANGE. I just want to be able to go further on one tank. Then add the Long Ranger tank and go even further. I will be willing to pay a little more just to have the capability.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
So even if this engine comes out, we will have to wait on the aftermarket to catch up and make the kit.

True. I hope that because it's in the GC and the 1500, tuners will be working on an "emissions delete" and re-tune ASAP.

For me, I know that most people keep talking about cost savings, but all I care about it RANGE. I just want to be able to go further on one tank. Then add the Long Ranger tank and go even further. I will be willing to pay a little more just to have the capability.

It's a combination of benefits for me:
Cost savings at fill-up
Range
Low-down torque

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Autoguide have an even more firm quote from Mike Manley,

MikeManly said:
“Wrangler is on the radar to get [a] diesel. Remember we're also going through the product change of Wrangler for 2015-16, That will probably be the right time to introduce the diesel into that vehicle.”

“I'm confident that the Grand Cherokee will show just how large a demand there is for diesel, and I think what that will do is reinforce the need for us to target Wrangler as a vehicle that can take a diesel,”

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/02/jeep-wrangler-diesel-likely-after-refresh-in-2015.html

Hmmm. Also interesting he says the new wrangler is 2015-16, not a year later as speculated by Allpar.

-Dan

daveyboy

Adventurer

But the calcuation is regional and depends on mileage driven. Where I live, diesel IS nearly $1 more a gallon. I have multiple vehicles (such as motorycles) and wouldn't drive a diesel powered pickup/suv even close to 15,000 miles a year. So if the cost of gasoline engine is exactly the cost of a diesel engine, it is a no-brainer and instant money in your pocket with a zero payback period. But in reality, they are typically thousands more or force you into a more expensive trim line that you wouldn't have to buy if you went with the gasser.

Don't get me wrong, I do 99% of my driving is between 5000'-10,000', so a turbo-diesel makes sense for me in terms of performance, but may not financially--unless I am looking at a loooonnnggg payback period.

Monterorider

Adventurer

You are very pessimistic on V6 rating or very optimistic on diesel
For 2014 Grand Cherokee is rated 4WD mpg 20/28 for diesel and 17/25 V6. There is no reason to believe difference will not be similar in Wrangler. Hence it will never pay back in itself.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The current version of the 2.8 diesel is pretty dang nice in the Wrangler chassis. A two-door Rubicon version pushing 37s with a manual 6spd/4.10 combo can get into the mid-20s for MIXED mileage.

It will be interesting to see what new v6 diesel can do. It would be interesting to see if they offer a manual transmission version too!

What I don't like about most 2007+ diesels is that you pretty much HAVE to delete a LOT of stuff to possibility run mexico diesel. Some of the world is catching up on the ULSD fuel, but not at the pace I would have liked to see, especially in interesting out of the way places that I would like to visit.

While deletes are a viable option, it just sucks to have to shoot yourself in the foot on a new vehicle like that with a long warranty.

I can't wait to test drive one though...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach