Requiem for a V8

PeterN

Observer
Bought my 2001 Disco 2 about 2 months ago for $5k. It had 104k miles on it, had a bit of a coolant leak but was in great cosmetic shape.

Since then I've taken it on 2 trips to the desert that included over 700 mile round trips. No problems overheating (I checked coolant every morning). No obvious oil issues but I'd top off regularly.

Coming back from the Black Rock Desert a week ago and I get a "Service Engine Soon" light climbing up the sierras from Reno to Truckee. I have to get home and can't stop. Have to grit my teeth and

Get home and plug in the ODB2 reader..

P0306 Cylinder 6: misfire detected (this code appears twice)
P0305 Cylinder 5: misfire detected (this code appears twice)
P0300 Random misfire detected
P1300 Catalyst Damaging misfire multiple cylinders - Drive Cycle Signal out of range - above maximum
P0154 O2 Circuit: No activity detected (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
P1415 Secondary air system fault bank 2 - Drive Cycle Signal implausible

I get the call from the favorite local independant Rover mechanic and get the bad news......engine is toast. I had steeled myself for the potential head gasket job or new wires and plugs etc but wow.

My question to the Rover hive mind is: Have you done an engine swap in your Disco? If so what engine did you swap in and why? What did it cost you?

I don't have a final quote or even know what engine my mechanic will source since everybody is shut down for the 4th of July. I've been given a ballpark figure in the $15k range for parts and labor but this includes a new radiator and some other minor stuff.

I'm on the fence about doing the swap and reaping those benefits (including a 4.6L V8 upgrade) or going out and finding the lowest mileage 2004 D2 with CDL and the 4.6 already in it. At this point I've got PTSD and am hesitant to get another mystery sandwich.

What do you think?

REDROVER

Explorer
i am just wondering is there any other auto maker who made wost motors and air suspension and electrical system than LAND ROVER?

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
With a D2, probably best to go with a rebuilt 4.6L. Plenty of sources for those. Just do a google search. Blocks will usually go for $4000, but if you look hard enough you can probably find one cheaper. I lucked out and got a rebuilt 4.6 for $1500. Start calling dealerships too, and ask around. Roverland parts in FL used to be a good source for 4.6L blocks. Also check with Will Tillery and Marty (cant remember his last name) on Discoweb.org. They usually have some available. D&D Fabrications was a popular source. There is TA Performance, a buick 215 specialty shop in Scottsdale AZ, that rebuilt mine (they did it for LR North Scottsdale), look them up too. Also, for brand new engines look at Rovers North and Atlantic British. Do a google search as well.

Installation will probably cost about $4k too (that is what it cost me). So depending on your patience and persistence level you could be in a "new" 4.6 for $5-8k. $15k seems awful steep. That is likely a brand new 4.6 with all new ancillaries attached (my guess).

If you had a D1 or RRC, you could look in to a chevy/gm 350 swap. But you dont have one so stick with the 4.6, you will be fine. Dont listen to the diesel BS. That will cost you $15-20k, an equal amount in headaches and your LR wont be legal.

While you are at it, you might consider rebuilding the transmission and transfer case (adding the nifty factory CDL if you havent already).

Good luck!

PeterN

Observer
Thanks for the info dcwhybrew. I'll chew on that over the next few days.

I'm already so attached to this vehicle that I'm leaning heavily towards having the swap done.

I'm not a mechanic but had so much fun upgrading the springs, installing a dual battery system, built a cargo floor with L-track in the back.......I can't part this thing out.

Meahwhile I'm driving my 4 door Japanese sedan that I'm glad I didn't sell yet....feeling like I'm sitting on a skateboard after being in the rover for months.

You can never go back.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Dont listen to the diesel BS. That will cost you $15-20k, an equal amount in headaches and your LR wont be legal.

ahh.. diesel...

1x1xH.gif

wait $15-$20k?!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Check around for sure. They can be tough to find, but are available. Go with something new or rebuilt by someone reputable in your area. Give Eddie a call at West Coast Rovers for starters. You have some very good shops out there, and feel free to pm me if you have questions. I would suggest all new cooler lines, new rad, etc and enjoy a well built truck that is ready for another 100k with proper maintenance. Your Tcase should have the nipple for CDL and you can engage it manually from below with a 10 mm, or add the Ashcroft kit.
If you have rust issues which I doubt given your locale, walk away after pulling all your upgrades and start over with a Disco where someone has already spent the big money for a motor.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
ahh.. diesel...

1x1xH.gif

wait $15-$20k?!

Fuzz, that GIF is great...LOL Remember, he's talking about a DII, not a D1 and he's not doing it himself...so it will be quite pricey. (I am assuming you were objecting to my "dont go the diesel route" comment?)

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Thanks for the info dcwhybrew. I'll chew on that over the next few days.

I'm already so attached to this vehicle that I'm leaning heavily towards having the swap done.

I'm not a mechanic but had so much fun upgrading the springs, installing a dual battery system, built a cargo floor with L-track in the back.......I can't part this thing out.

Meahwhile I'm driving my 4 door Japanese sedan that I'm glad I didn't sell yet....feeling like I'm sitting on a skateboard after being in the rover for months.

You can never go back.

Yep, you have the "fever"! Congrats, and I concur with your decision to just replace the engine. Two things to also consider that I forgot to mention...1) maybe get a second opinion on whether your engine needs to be replaced? I am not a mechanic, but my experience and what I have read is that second opinions in these instances (engine failure) are worth it. Even if they are confirmation of the initial diagnosis. 2) since the 4.0 and 4.6 use the same block, inquire about just having your engine rebuilt with the 4.6 internal components. There are plenty of threads on discoweb.org that will give you an idea of what that entails.

If you do the transfer case (CDL) conversion, do it right and get the 04 linkage and shifter or get a D1 linkage and shifter. The cheap routes (using a wrench/socket to manually engage, or installing a 2nd transfer case shifter) are just tacky. They work, but just appear cheap. Your truck looks good and you seem to want to invest the money in it to keep it going, so do it right. I think you will be happier in the long run.

Great picture. Makes me miss both of my D2s. Keep us posted (arent you glad you kept the sedan - consider keeping it).

Last edited:

PeterN

Observer
Thanks for the info RRClassic. I sent them an email asking them to help me understand my options.....and maybe to find an SD Rack too :).

dcarr1971

Adventurer
...If you do the transfer case (CDL) conversion, do it right and get the 04 linkage and shifter or get a D1 linkage and shifter. The cheap routes (using a wrench/socket to manually engage, or installing a 2nd transfer case shifter) are just tacky. They work, but just appear cheap. Your truck looks good and you seem to want to invest the money in it to keep it going, so do it right. I think you will be happier in the long run...

x2. Replacing the stock transfer case shifter with a D1 t/c shifter is a little time consuming, but ultimately pretty easy. The Ashcroft shifter is not much easier to install, looks no better, and is dramatically more $$$...

I'd say look at the diesel swaps. Especially if your mechanic is trying to charge 15k for an engine swap. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but some guys on here are giving the GM6.2 some good reviews. E2 services in Orlando dropped a 300tdi into one. I wouldn't say do it to save money, but it would reduce your intervals at the gas station.

REDROVER

Explorer
I'd say look at the diesel swaps. Especially if your mechanic is trying to charge 15k for an engine swap. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but some guys on here are giving the GM6.2 some good reviews. E2 services in Orlando dropped a 300tdi into one. I wouldn't say do it to save money, but it would reduce your intervals at the gas station.

u can also get AM GENERAL 6.5 optimizer used on later HUMMER H1 that's a very good motor, updated block and 500 lb torque but that's an expensive motor as well around $ 6500

or drop 300 tdi , that will be very nice,

or get a 94+ Mercedes Benz diesel motor with transmission, an make adapter to work on lt230 that will be just awesome and easy ( thats what i did 2 wd transmission works with 4wd transfer case , very easy to make it work )

one question to more rover knowledgeable guys , is 2004 d2 motor also risky ? or it a good one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater