Restomod to Rock Crawler with Timbren Axles

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Here is the lid getting ready for prep and paint. It is a large piece of sheet metal and weighs almost as much as the tub.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Lights test out and work great. I think I am going to put some side marker lights on or at least some side reflectors. The low profile tail lights have zero peripheral illumination.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Nicely done. I like everything you did. Should work great on the Rube.

Thanks!

It's not done yet....but are they ever?

Today I cut the permanent foot off the jack and added the removable one for more versatility. I will take foot off when its swung up so it wont catch on a beaver.

Last edited:

tlin

Adventurer
Great build, just chiming in with a compliment and now officially following along. What are the dimensions of the closed box (H x L x W)?

....and where did you find that trailer to begin with? Seems like a great base to work off of and your current setup seems to be a better platform than possibly starting out with a Harbor Freight purchase. I'm NOT bashing any of the Harbor Freight-based trailers out there, that's actually what I'm considering.

thx!

Last edited:

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Great build, just chiming in with a compliment and now officially following along. What are the dimensions of the closed box (H x L x W)?

....and where did you find that trailer to begin with? Seems like a great base to work off of and your current setup seems to be a better platform than possibly starting out with a Harbor Freight purchase. I'm NOT bashing any of the Harbor Freight-based trailers out there, that's actually what I'm considering.

thx!

Thanks. The inside dims of the box are only 40" wide and 48" long. Under the closed lid is 20". Seems small compared to a lot of the other "adventure" trailers out there but this is perfect for a Jeep TJ with a 4.0liter to drag over the hellish granite that the Rubicon and other similar trails have.

I found the trailer on local craiglist for $200. I did a lot of research on the trailer and found NOTHING. No VIN number of any kind so I put a plate from a dead trailer that I still had on non-op status AT DMV.

This bed would fit on one of the small HF trailer kits but its probably one of a kind.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Id like to think Im done welding crap to his trailer but I never say never...

Yesterday I put some armor on the corners of the tub where I believe it is vulnerable to rocks.

QU2bmM.jpg

I also got the toggle latches that hold the lid put on. These replace the bent and missing chest latches that were there.

I traiangulated the tongue with 2" channel. I dont think this is necascarry for tongue stregnth but I need support for the ice chest rack so it works out.

I had to cut off the pivot stud for the tongue jack and weld a new one, forward enough for the red crank nob to clear the ice chest.

tlin

Adventurer
Curious why you didn't thru-bolt the corner protection. Now you've got extra work to clean up and re-paint the interior that was so nice and purty?

Just a question from a jealous no-trailer-owner lurker. Really like your build.

--t

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Curious why you didn't thru-bolt the corner protection. Now you've got extra work to clean up and re-paint the interior that was so nice and purty?

Just a question from a jealous no-trailer-owner lurker. Really like your build.

--t

Mainly so I don't have any bolt heads protruding in to the cargo box area. That is the same reason I mounted the license plate where it is - so I did not have bolts inside the smooth tailgate surface. I also think that if that corner of the tub takes a hit, the damage might be less without bolts and holes.....(?). Although at some point I will be adding some cargo ties in those corners and they will be through bolted in the corner plates. So I guess my answer to your question is - I'm an idiot. :eek:

tlin

Adventurer
You're not an idiot. You're a guy whose taken what many would consider a lost cause (your trailer when you found it) and has been successfully transforming it into something not only practical but something that has many envious of where this is obviously heading.

Keep it up!!!!

003suns

Thanks.

.......Its not a large trailer so it can be covered with 4 cans, and the Almond color on there is flat (supposed to be satin?) so a new coat will go on easy. Still not completely sure of color.... suggestions?:confused:......

I like the way it looks with the Almond and a gloss white roof would look sweet. Simple.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201503/jeep-wrangler-africa-2_1600x0w.jpg

http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-c...978_Land-Cruiser_Utility_FJ402067463__900.jpg

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp