Restoring the "Hummer" Brand to it's former glory! - H3 Build

Schwarttzy

Observer
Got some new parts this week for the Hummer. Smittybilt 8000 lb. winch and Solid Axle Differential cover for the rear axle.

New-Parts-for-the-H3-Hummer.jpg

H3-Hummer-Heavy-Duty-Differential-Cover.jpg

Schwarttzy

Observer
Protected my rear AAM 860 axle today with the GM corporate 10 bolt cover which went smooth besides needing some longer bolts and the ingenuity involved get the oil into the axle because of the sway-bars location. I also had to shave the bracket that hold my brake lines a bit with my grinder, but it work out perfectly.

H3-Hummer-AAM-860-GM-8.6-Differential-Heavy-Duty-Axle-Cover.jpg

H3-Hummer-AAM-860-GM-8.6-Differential-Heavy-Duty-Tools-Needed.jpg

H3-Hummer-AAM-860-GM-8.6-Differential-Cover-Next-to-Aftermarket-Differentail-Cover.jpg

H3-Hummer-AAM-860-GM-8.6-Electronic-Locker-and-4.56-Gears.jpg

H3-Hummer-AAM-860-GM-8.6-Differential-Modification-to-Brake-Line-Modification.jpg

Imnosaint

Gone Microcamping
Crickets here for awhile. I'd certainly appreciate learning more about your winch install. I've found a couple of other approaches, but your work on this H3 has been exemplary. Hope to see more from you.

owlxxx

Observer
I've also followed him on Hummer4x4offroad.com (H4O) but I can't buy his winch install kit just yet. But it's a great solution.

HuskerTrev

Observer
In response to the frame issue:

Interestingly enough all H3s, Canyons and Colorado's have high strength steel frames that are partially hydro-formed. What this means to the lay person is that these frames are made with a type of steel that has higher nickel and boron content in it, allowing it to have higher shear strength in less material. In our body shop we have had no choice to replace quite a few of these frames because a) they cannot be repaired with heat as this will cause the steel to revert back to a "milder" steel b) even on a computerized frame machine that can exert 30 tons of pressure from multiple pulling towers at the same time, these frames are almost impossible to pull back into factory specifications.

I am the bodyshop manager at a GMC/Buick dealership and spent ten years of my career at Ford as a frame and structural technician. It doesn't matter much to me as brand wise goes, GM knocked it out of the park on these frames from an engineer standpoint.

superbuickguy

Explorer
In response to the frame issue:

Interestingly enough all H3s, Canyons and Colorado's have high strength steel frames that are partially hydro-formed. What this means to the lay person is that these frames are made with a type of steel that has higher nickel and boron content in it, allowing it to have higher shear strength in less material. In our body shop we have had no choice to replace quite a few of these frames because a) they cannot be repaired with heat as this will cause the steel to revert back to a "milder" steel b) even on a computerized frame machine that can exert 30 tons of pressure from multiple pulling towers at the same time, these frames are almost impossible to pull back into factory specifications.

I am the bodyshop manager at a GMC/Buick dealership and spent ten years of my career at Ford as a frame and structural technician. It doesn't matter much to me as brand wise goes, GM knocked it out of the park on these frames from an engineer standpoint.

sigh - it's like willful ignorance.

while it is true that GM used the mid-sized frame as the starting point of the Hummer, the frame is not interchangeable with the H3. The H3 added a cross member behind the motor, further it has a different rear suspension. In addition to that, the front suspension is not at all interchangeable - it looks the same (ish), but it's simply not. In addition to wider and taller, the lower control arms are beefier and have more robust bushings, the upper control arms are forged aluminum (as opposed to cast steel on the Canyon), the differential after 2008 is cast iron, not aluminum and use a 30 spline set up (like dana 44s, only with a better ride). The spindles are different, the brakes are different (in all cases, better). On the rear suspension, Canyons had drum brakes, Hummers disk, they had a stabilizer bar and different springs that are more compliant and give better travel. The rear differential, while the same is also the same as 1/2 ton chevrolet pickups - only narrower.
On top of all this, if you buy the adventure package, you get an electronic locker (not a limited slip) in the back, and after 2008, you get one in the front as well (not on the Canyon in any package). Included is a 4:1 low range transfer case, and either case is full-time 4x4 - not part time like the Canyon (with its electric, Jeep-style engagement ring on the front differential).

So it does matter, the H3 frame is stronger than the pickup frame, and more robust - meaning, it doesn't flex and break after severe-offroad usage.

HuskerTrev

Observer
sigh - it's like willful ignorance.

while it is true that GM used the mid-sized frame as the starting point of the Hummer, the frame is not interchangeable with the H3. The H3 added a cross member behind the motor, further it has a different rear suspension. In addition to that, the front suspension is not at all interchangeable - it looks the same (ish), but it's simply not. In addition to wider and taller, the lower control arms are beefier and have more robust bushings, the upper control arms are forged aluminum (as opposed to cast steel on the Canyon), the differential after 2008 is cast iron, not aluminum and use a 30 spline set up (like dana 44s, only with a better ride). The spindles are different, the brakes are different (in all cases, better). On the rear suspension, Canyons had drum brakes, Hummers disk, they had a stabilizer bar and different springs that are more compliant and give better travel. The rear differential, while the same is also the same as 1/2 ton chevrolet pickups - only narrower.
On top of all this, if you buy the adventure package, you get an electronic locker (not a limited slip) in the back, and after 2008, you get one in the front as well (not on the Canyon in any package). Included is a 4:1 low range transfer case, and either case is full-time 4x4 - not part time like the Canyon (with its electric, Jeep-style engagement ring on the front differential).

So it does matter, the H3 frame is stronger than the pickup frame, and more robust - meaning, it doesn't flex and break after severe-offroad usage.

Before continuing on your high and mighty armchair expedition, please take note that I didn't state anywhere in my post that the frames were the same. I did say they are made from the same type of material, high strength steel. Nowhere did I say anything about any components that bolt on to said frame. Sharing your opinion or bit of knowledge is something, being rude about it is another.

Last edited:

coastal616

Adventurer
Kinda fell short on restoring the brand to its former glory...A few bolt ons? Where is the portal hub swap, IRS swap and diesel swap? :D

Before continuing on your high and mighty armchair expedition, please take note that I didn't state anywhere in my post that the frames were the same. I did say they are made from the same type of material, high strength steel. Nowhere did I say anything about any components that bolt on to said frame. Sharing your opinion or bit of knowledge is something, being rude about it is another.

Haha I think he assumed it because that the comment we hear from almost every non Hummer owner.

Glad you shared, it was something I never knew about my own truck

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl