Rigid Industries :: Torture Test

RigidIndustries

I think some video showing the difference in the beam patterns offered would be extremely beneficial for the majority of people.
The graphics help get an idea but seeing these different patterns set up in the same spot and same angle (like from the drivers seat) would be amazing!

Asking/Getting some Rigid customer videos in from their adventures on trails etc would be cool to splice into a cool video also.

Great ideas and they are in fact on our list! The user generated videos could be a lot of fun!

I do agree a video would be beneficial but I also feel that the mounting points would need to be the same as well as comparing similar sized lights, rather than comparing a 30 inch to a 50 inch. Also the addition of additional lights (headlights, fogs, and other accessory lights etc.) would have to be out of the picture. I feel that a test along the lines of what usmcdoc14 did on JKO would be the best route, kind of a head to head demonstration of the lights. I know that a comparison of EVERY company that puts out an LED bar would be a fairly big task but a comparison of bigger brands, as well as a few of the popular mid class and eBay/Amazon varieties, would be the best route.

Just my 0.02

Our planned beam pattern videos will compare our lights in the same location/angle and will go through all the Series we offer as well (no other lights will be on or used).

That video must have been a huge amount of fun to do. You have found some very creative ways to "test" your product. Out of curiosity, how many of the torture tests were inspired by actual warranty claims? I know customers can be the most creative when it comes to product torture.

So much fun! It's crazy the amount of torture our lights can take and still perform — something we take a lot of pride in making sure our products won't fail even when everything else does. We need to gather a list of the most insane warranty claims lol

It'll be interesting to see if this kind of marketing continues, now that Truck-Lite has acquired Rigid. Truck-Lite may be somewhat more businesslike, considering their desire to capture and hold the fleet market, where standards compliance is a major concern.

Not that such marketing doesn't have its place-- what would an auto commercial be without some daring maneuver and a "professional driver on closed course, do not attempt" notice on the bottom of the screen?

Valid concerns. We have been working in the military and industrial sector for a while now (with Truck-Lite now on board we can go much further faster) and those channels will have a slightly different approach in marketing videos but will have the same overall brand message. Our off road channels will still have the edge that videos like this create though :D

Would rather see tests of lights mounted and see which one makes you see the best. Not what labs tests say.

Absolutely! Some love data and some love real world! We love both lol but at the end of the day the real world is what it all boils down to. This is where beam patterns come into play a lot also. So many factors are involved with speed, mounting locations, terrain etc that we see all too often the wrong beam patterns are purchased for that specific driver or application. We plan to have a few different videos showing different terrains with specific beam patterns to show the difference and do an even better job educating consumers.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I hate the light discussion on hear.

Hear is what I have a problem with. Not everyone needs the same sees the same wants the same. I pulled the silver star lights from my Ford and put the 5 dollar cheap lights in to me the light is 10 x better not brighter but I can actually see. But according to the meters I should not be able to see as well.

Also with all these fancy lights that I keep seeing has anything Been done for the glare on the hood. I was a kid had the KC rack on my Ford and Chevy they looked cool but useless. The light on the hood windshield was so bad I could see less great at a party but for driving no help.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Rigid, I agree, the real world is what it boils down to. No meters etc can give you real world results. That being said, I would love to see some more reflective LED technology used. I find the direct LED lighting from the bars do not illuminate far enough for my needs. anything in the boiler?

BCobe

Adventurer
Our planned beam pattern videos will compare our lights in the same location/angle and will go through all the Series we offer as well (no other lights will be on or used).

While this is a start, I would just like to see how a $1,500 50 inch bar compairs to a lesser priced 50 inch bar. I figured a basic test would suffice, the amount of light as well as the distance it is thrown. I do see Hilldwellers point when it comes to the eye and light test, but I think the basic test would suffice for most.

Also with all these fancy lights that I keep seeing has anything Been done for the glare on the hood. I was a kid had the KC rack on my Ford and Chevy they looked cool but useless. The light on the hood windshield was so bad I could see less great at a party but for driving no help.

I know some people have purchesed a flat black hood sticker for their JK's that supposedly helps reduce the glare. Might help?

F40

Adventurer
"Snakeracingcomau" has excellent videos on YouTube comparing different beam patterns in the same lights.

Here's another decent video;

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I hate the light discussion on hear.

Hear is what I have a problem with. Not everyone needs the same sees the same wants the same. I pulled the silver star lights from my Ford and put the 5 dollar cheap lights in to me the light is 10 x better not brighter but I can actually see. But according to the meters I should not be able to see as well.

Who on Earth told you that Silverstars are a good bulb?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...r-their-false-claims-of-headlamp-superiority&
Try a Philips Xtreme Vision if they make it in your size; you'll like that.

And yes. My meter confirmed my eyeballs on the Silverstars. They're junk. Almost as bad as PIAA. Not nearly as bad as Delta...

kojackJKU

BCobe

Adventurer
"Snakeracingcomau" has excellent videos on YouTube comparing different beam patterns in the same lights.

I really liked this video, helped me realize that a 20 inch combo light bar is pretty much what I am looking for. While watching this video I also seen another that would be a good reference for a comparison video.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Here's a test/demo from my fertile imagination.

Sit a sharp-shooter down at a table behind a test light with a target at 100 yards. No scope.
Have plink off 10 rounds at a target with different lights.
Next make it a moving target at the same distance.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
While this is a start, I would just like to see how a $1,500 50 inch bar compairs to a lesser priced 50 inch bar. I figured a basic test would suffice, the amount of light as well as the distance it is thrown. I do see Hilldwellers point when it comes to the eye and light test, but I think the basic test would suffice for most.

I know some people have purchesed a flat black hood sticker for their JK's that supposedly helps reduce the glare. Might help?
This^^
Show a cheap China knockoff next to your lights then show how they hold up side by side in torture tests.
Give us a reason why we should pay 200% more for 20% better light output. I really couldn't justify dropping a left kidney on your lights so I went with China made ones that have so far held up pretty damn well for being 1/10 the price of your comparable models

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
What is the relevancy to these "tests"? Cool marketing video I guess but...
I could drill and cut into a tire and destroy it the same but I don't see the relevant torture test?

How about addressing the videos online showing the failed seals on Rigid LEDS during submersion tests? That is a much more relevant scenario that someone talking a saw or drill bit to my lights.

F40

Adventurer
This^^
Show a cheap China knockoff next to your lights then show how they hold up side by side in torture tests.
Give us a reason why we should pay 200% more for 20% better light output. I really couldn't justify dropping a left kidney on your lights so I went with China made ones that have so far held up pretty damn well for being 1/10 the price of your comparable models

kojackJKU

Any test that is done by one of the makers of the products in question makes me suspect. You can throttle back LED power by as much as 1/16th power using a simple electronic dimmer. Independent testing is the only way. Not skewed by a company who is making one of the products. That goes for anything really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner