Rigid LED light causing radio interference??

Gooseberry

Explorer
I have a 30inch bar I just installed and do not get any noise on the CB, 2M or the stereo? Could it be a grounding issue on the vehicle? I do have two of the dually lights that I plan to set on magnets and will now have to try them next to the antennas.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Unless I'm mistaken, Part 15 requires products to not emit over a certain level of interference. Provided said product complies, then yes it falls upon the user to resolve the issue.
If a product DOES NOT comply however, then the manufacturer has some esplainin' to do (this is how I've always understood it anyway :confused: ).
You are correct that manufacturers are required to meet relevant emissions and there are some punishment avenues for not doing so. The device is not supposed to be sold here without Part 15 or 18 testing if required. Assuming compliance, then the operator must correct any interference up to and including ceasing operation until the interference is resolved. It's a little weird, even if the device has met requirements in a lab it's not really their responsibility if something is different when in service.

http://www.arrl.org/part-15-radio-frequency-devices

http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/Welcome.html

FWIW, the Class A limit for VHF is 150 microvolt/meter measured at 3 meters, which equates to about S9+10dB. So it can be substantial and still be within limits.

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
I have a 30inch bar I just installed and do not get any noise on the CB, 2M or the stereo?

Really?? How did you install it?? My SQL threshold is usually at around 1/4 of the way in, when I turn on the Rigids I need to adjust it to approximately half way.

What would you call a grounding problem on the vehicle???

Out of curiosity, on what vehicle are you running your light bar and communications equipment??

Thanks for all your replies!

Luis

Gooseberry

Explorer
Its on a E350 SMB ford van and is installed on the top bar of the bumper. The light is right in front and in line with the fiberglass hood so I would think it should get some noise being so close to the wiring. My Radios are a Icom v8000 2m, cheap cobra remote unit cb and a Kenwood head unit.

The CB and the Kenwood are on the vehicles keyed switch and the Icom is fused right off the battery with a clean ground connection right to the battery.

The Rigids are fuse connected directly to the battery and on a relay so that might be a why I have no noise and the two AGM batteries are the filter.

By a clean ground I mean that all radio Grounds run to the source and not just to the frame and if you do use the frame make sure that vehicle body and frame have good ground straps to complete the path back to the battery.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3583&p=100703&hilit=rigid#p100703

Really?? How did you install it?? My SQL threshold is usually at around 1/4 of the way in, when I turn on the Rigids I need to adjust it to approximately half way.

What would you call a grounding problem on the vehicle???

Out of curiosity, on what vehicle are you running your light bar and communications equipment??

Thanks for all your replies!

Luis

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
Hmm that might be a difference, the harness for the Rigids does not have a relay. And i've been meaning to install one to allow me to turn them on with my high beams..

Ill try that and report back.

Thanks for the input!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad